I'm new here, and to EM2WL

Options
I have tried all kinds of weight loss diets, plans, etc, only to find myself the heaviest I have ever been. I find myself needing to totally re-work the way I think about food, exercise, nutrition...EVERYTHING. My cholesterol level has to come down and my good cholesterol needs to go up.
I try to work out and get into a groove only to have my knee and ankle flare up (RA) and sometimes other joints as well. I used to be a loose size 10, but didn't look healthy. I looked thin and pale and hollow-faced. 20 yrs later, I am a size 22 and don't like the way my health is going.
Low Carb didn't work for me. I was doing low carb along with working out for 2hrs per day, and just managed to loose 10lbs in 6 months time. That was when the RA started making my joints swell and my knee froze up. After a lot of PT it has regained most of it's mobility, but I still have flare ups from time to time which makes it very stiff and painful. The ankle on the opposite leg has a similar story.
I am trying a new Paleo meal plan from http://pwc2.com/SavingDinner_Shanan but I don't know if it will help with lowering cholesterol or not. I am adding the recipes as I use them and going to track them that way to see if I can keep the cholesterol counts down.
Honestly, I need help and don't know where else to turn. So if anyone here has suggestions, I am willing to do it.

Thanks!

Replies

• divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you would be to read through all the sticky pin notes here. Also view the videos, they also reinforce the information and are fun! They give you all you need to know about what EM2WL is all about. I am not really a big fan of the Paleo diet, I have not read all about it but from what I do know it does seem to cut out some foods. I don't agree with any diet that does that, but that is my personal philosphy on nutrition. I want to eat foods that are healthy and eat the same now while losing and when I get to my goal weight, which will not be fast!

One of the things I love about this life style is that I don't have to go all out cardio! I am older and have some joint aches and pains myself (nothing as harsh as you describe, so sorry) but I am enjoying lifting weights and strength training. It really feels good to work the muscles and I wonder if you would benefit from it. Something to ask your physio therapist and doctor about. I believe that strong muscles would help support your joints immensely. A good trainer would be able to work around your "limits" and help build your strength.

A lot to think about. Good luck in your journey. Keep reading and check out the website, FB page as well. Some fantastic information!
  • Shanan2012
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I have not totally cut out dairy and gluten, but have cut them way down. I have oatmeal for breakfast and eat 12 grain bread. I also still eat yogurt and a little shredded cheese here and there. Cheese is my weakness. I will pretty much eat anything with cheese in or on it. I also normally eat a lot of pasta and potatoes. Cutting down on these a little is not a bad thing,lol. I allow them once in awhile, if not I would have a weak day, then eat waaayy to much of these foods.
    I will certainly do more reading and see what other things I can add back in moderation.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I read an awesome book awhile back called Cholesterol Down and it had so many wonderful food tips!! It suggests eating things like almonds, garlic, apples (with the skin), etc on a daily basis.

If you love cheese then continue to eat it. Just be sure to do so in moderation. I love cheese too and couldn't completely give it up. I usually fit a light string cheese in my meal plan almost every day!!

Oh and welcome to the group!!
  • Shanan2012
    Options
    I love almonds, and have a family member who can't have peanuts, so we do almond butter instead. I can also add an apple a day. I will look up the book, thanks!
  • Shanan2012
    Options
    Ok, so I am trying to figure all this stuff out for both me and my husband. We are going to do this together. We both need to get healthier, and neither of us eat enough during the day and have messed up our metabolism.

I went to Scooby's Calculator and figured out my TDEE (3264) WOW, that seems so high! My husband's is (4170). Sheesh, can anyone eat that many cal in one day??!!

So we jump right in to eating this much or slowly increase how many cals/week?
    How to we get MFP to adjust to these amounts? That would be the most helpful info right now, I think. So we can do a reset for 4 weeks. Though I am NOT looking forward to gaining more weight!

Thanks in advance!
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So to change your MFP settings go to My Home tab at the top of the page, You will then see a tab for Goals, click on it, then you will see another tab Change Goals, click on it, You will now see two lines you want to click on the Custom settings and then click on continue. Now you will see all kinds of values. The basic values you will want to change is your :

Net Calories, so if you are doing a full TDEE reset then put that number in or you can put in your 15% cut number~this is what you will eat each day

Your macros:

Protein set at 30%, Carbs set at 40% and Fats set at 30%, if you like you can also set some of the other values, I set my Fibre to 30g.

Your exercise. Set this at 0, that way it will not add more calories. you will be eating enough!

When you are finished go to the bottom of the page and click on Goals Updated. You will notice at the top of the page the words Goals Updated in red. That means you have successfully updated your numbers.

So keep coming back and reading. Watch the videos, they really really help, especially on those days you feel like tossing in the towel. You may also find the first few days it will be really hard to get all those calories in, just try your best.
  • Shanan2012
    Options
    divediva2, thanks for all your help!!!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was actually 380 pounds when i started (weigh about 190 pounds now) i did kinda eat EM2WL without really realising it for the most of my journey, eating very clean and eating 1800 cals a day and working out. So i just wanted to leave a message that it can be done...i have been at it for nearly 6 years so has been a slow process for me (I ahve PCOS and endo as well) but definitely worthwhile....just be persistant and you will get there :)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just stopped by to say Welcome to MFP and to the EM2WL Group!! :flowerforyou:

Not sure if you watched any of the videos or not but here is the link b/c they will help you understand this process more than anything...Just remember to have PATIENCE and be CONSISTENT with eating your calories every day...Even on rest days and this process can work for you as well!!

Best of luck to you and your hubby!! It's is Awesome that you both are going to do this together... :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579855--new-vids-for-em2wl-faqs