Lap band vs gastric bypass

Options
I have just started looking into surgery. I have talked to a surgeon and started the process but it will be at least January before I can have it done. I might need that time just to decide between the options. It seems the more I read the more trouble it will be. I have a bmi of 48. I have high blood pressure and cholesterol and sleep apnea. I have been fighting my weight for 10 years I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds I know the lap band has less complications but I keep reading and the bypass seems to have the results. HELP!!!!

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You should research all 4 options: lap band, sleeve, gastric bypass, and DS. Personally from all my years in the WLS world, the lap band has the MOST complications.
  • 321payne
    321payne Posts: 26
    Options
    None of the doctors who are doing DS are not covered on my insurance so i cannot do it, I have looked at the sleeve and will continue but I do not think it will be what I choose going on the info I have right now .
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    for me the band wasn't an option because you have to have fills which are separate insurance issues and it didn't give the weight or health benefits that the others did. I also found in my research that the sleeve is getting similar results to the bypass but as it's not as well studies because it's newer I went with the tried and true bypass. Your surgeon will help with the research but a lot is available online, look at how your health issues are impacted and go with whatever gives you the best and most sustainable results for you.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about people that had the lapband and then when they have lost some weight and it stalls, then end up having bypass anyways. This is also what my surgeon (I had bypass 4 months ago) confirmed when I initially wanted the "less invasive" lapband.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Personally, I chose the RNY gastric bypass). It was the best option for me. Any WLS is going to be some amount of trouble. I just had to decide what was more trouble...dealing with whatever I needed to do for surgery...or dealing with my declining health and the years that me co-morbidities were surely robbing my life of. I do not regret my decision one bit and I would do it again :) My hubs is actually planning surgery in December of this year. He is going to have the sleeve done. Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open and I log everything everyday, so you can see at least what I am able to eat as a 2.5 month out post-op. We are all different, but you can see an example of life in *my* pouch :) Best of luck to you!
  • crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on June 12, 2012, so I only have two weeks experience with it. But I chose this because I did not like the idea of a permanent device left with the lap band and I didn't like the severity of having part of my small intestine bypassed. Because I already suffer from cronic kidney stones, I could not afford to bypass the upper intestine, which is where calcium is absorbed and I need the calcium to combat the kidney stones.

According to the presentation by my surgeon, the sleeve offered greater results than lap band, but not as extreme as bypass. I found it to be a good 'middle of the road' option.

Good luck!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I wanted the sleeve so I could still take NSAID's but insurance wouldnt cover it so I had RNY. I am still very happy with my decision it just stinks that i cant have nsaids but you make do! I didn't want the lapband because I heard it had the most complications and it was the slowest at weight loss. I joined obesityhelp.com when I was thinking about wls and many people there had bands but were getting them out for the bypass, ds or sleeve. Good luck with your decision!
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have had both the lapband and rou-en-y (gastric by-pass) surgery. The lapband was not a good fit for me, I lost about 30 lbs all total with it an over a period of 3 years had nothing but trouble so in Jan. 2011 I had RNY and yes, I had some complications while in the hospital but it took care of itself, after receiving 4 units of blood, but I had problems daily with my band.

Friend me if you would like, because I have been on both sides of the fence. I have seem way more complications from the band than the RNY or sleeve.

Do you happen to read obesityhelp.com? If not go there and read the complications from all surgery types then make up your mind. I have a couple of friends that have revised from RNY to the DS, which is a very tough revision and they do tell me that most DS patients think it is a God send, but if they had been true to their RNY they would have been much better off and all this about DS patients being able to eat whatever they want and still lose is a lie
  • acrealizm
    acrealizm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Every single procedure can have complications and varied results. All of them are simply tools to help you lose weight, not a solution in and of itself. I chose the band and if I could do it over again, I would make the same decision. I didn't like the how invasive gastric-bypass was. My friend had it and lost 150lbs really fast, but gained it back really fast as well, which she then had the lap-band put in. I looked at the sleeve, but didn't like that it wasn't adjustable and that there's not a lot of solid, long-term data on it like there is the band and RNY. Guys typically lose weight more quickly than women (with or without WLS) so the gradual weight loss with the band seemed like a good fit for me and when used right, the weight loss is more rapid than gradual. But as I mentioned, it's only a tool. You can easily gain weight back if you don't change your habits and lifestyle. The adjustments (fills) associated with the band a very easy and painless. They literally take about 10 seconds. I only go once, maybe twice a year for adjustments and I pay $75 (without health insurance). For the first year after surgery my weight loss center did the adjustments for free. Before my gall bladder surgery a month ago they removed the fluid from my band and I was back to "normal" as if I never had it in, so I got to see just how reversible the band is. In fact, the band can be completely removed, if needed/wanted, which was another reason I chose it. Good luck with your decision...it's not an easy one...but feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 3 years ago and have maintained a normal BMI for the last year. Yes, it took me 2 years to lose 75 pounds, but it seems the closer you are to your goal weight, the slower the loss. The band has worked well for me. It has helped me cut down on my portion size, which was certainly a problem for me. I also exercise quite a bit, so Im sure that helped with the weight loss too.I was determined that I would be a success story. At this point, I have had no complications with the band. I pretty much follow the rules- eat very slowly and chew, chew, chew. I pretty much avoid bread. Research all the types of surgery and decide which will fit your life style.
  • edepink
    edepink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band March 12 2012 and I have lost 40lbs. My BMI was just at 35 and my surgeon only wanted me to lose about seventy pounds total. The nurse at the office said I was a good fit for the band because I didnt have that much to lose. She said in her experience people with a BMI over 40 had the least success with the band. I am over half way there and my surgeon could not be happier! I really love the band-I was skeptical the first few weeks..
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i had the band put in in jan and its been great for me. no real problems. i have yet to puke/pb/ or get a "stuck" episode. :) but i will tell you that the band certainly doenst do the work for you. i feel like theres more of an opporunity to learn how to eat correctly with the band tho. it helps with feeling hungry in between meals, but if you dont make the right choices your not going to lose weight. with all other surgerys (for the first few months anyways) your going to lose weight no matter what. so i think people who have had lost a lot with bypass may have more trouble since their "learning period" wasnt really there. but thats just one way to look at it. the success of any wls solely depends on the persons mindset. they can all fail. and they can all succeed. its up to you. just weight the pros and cons of every option including no surgery at all. they all have good and bad aspects.
  • maylene1853
    Options
    i had a bypass. rny. i have had a few minor issues, mostly resulting in having my gallbladder removed and having monthly shots of b12 and the occasional b1 shot and iron infusion. (i have trouble absorbing iron now) i also have become extrememly lactose intolerant and i do miss being able to take nsaids as they worked best on my migraines. however i lost more that what doc wanted me to weigh so weight wise it was a huge success, i also got real lucky in that i didnt get real saggy skin, tiny stomach flapiness but nothin that would qualify me for more surgery. someday tho i would love to tummy tuck tho since i know that will permanently remove a few inches n pounds!
    i would do it again. rny,
    i did not choose lappand just cuz the idea of some object left in me freaked me out! idea of fills did too....
  • 321payne
    321payne Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I am leaning toward the bypass< but I have until at least January before I have to make the decision. So I am trying to keep an open mind to all possibilities.
  • Brett8118
    Brett8118 Posts: 15
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on March 12, 2012 and have lost 80 lbs so far. It's the best decision I ever made. I think it's better than Lap-Band, because you don't have to mess with all the fills, and better than gastric bypass and all of the malabsorbtion issues.
  • palerider72
    Options
    I had the sleeve done in May 2011, and have lost 110 lbs. It's the best decision I've ever made and would do it again in a heartbeat. I chose the sleeve over the band for the same reason most people do. I wasn't fond of having a foreign object in my body, and the constant adjustment to find the "sweet spot". I also chose the sleeve over the traditional RNY bypass because of the malabsorbtion issue with nutrients that the RNY has. It also gave me the feeling of finality with the surgery as they physically remove the portion of your stomach that is dissected. It is absolutely a lifestyle change no matter which direction you go.
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had RNY on 6/22/11. I have lost 100lb since surgery and 130 total. Make sure you really do your home work when selecting your surgeon and the procedure. Luckily I have Bariatric surgery center of excellence in my area. After reviewing many of the questions others have asked on sites like "thinner times" I was amazed at how unprepared many people for the surgery. It is also critical to have a support system. I have been attending monthy group meetings and I belive that is a key element to success.
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing as you when I first began this process. The only thing I knew for sure was that I did NOT want the lapband (it creeps me out). I debated between the sleeve and the RNY --finally focused on RNY ... and tomorrow I am scheduled for the RNY surgery :) I researched the surgeon to help make my decision and the numbers helped me feel much more comfortable with the success of the surgery itself, as well as the aftercare from the hospital, surgeon, and nurses. I wanted something they have done correctly, multiple times :) Good luck! You will make the best decision that is right for you.