Can we talk about thinning hair?

Options
mrsgoodwine
mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
I went off birth control pills in January - since then I have only had one period. The one thing that I have noticed - and it's kind of freaking me out, is the amount of hair that I am shedding. I had an amazing head of hair and I feel like I have lost a lot of it. No bald spots, but definite thinning. I am starting to believe it may be the absence of - or the low amount of estrogen in my system. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, how are you handling it?

Replies

• workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and think it must be hormonal, in which case HRT might help.
    I could never get a comb through my hair when I was younger but now not only is it white (with patches of grey) but it has thinned so much I can clearly see my scalp through it.
    To add insult to injury I have big ears so short hair is not my favourite style, though I am toying with the idea of shaving my head and living with the consequences. Short layered hair styles is the most common recommendation for thin hair.
    I have considered a wig but in summer it might be too hot and itchy. I tend to wear berets and headbands and summer hats when I'm in public.

http://www.short-hair-style.com/thinning-hair-in-woman.html
  • zenibear
    zenibear Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes I had a full hysterectomy 14months ago and for the first 6 months post-op I was losing hair. Once my dr got the hrt right I felt tremendously better and my hair stopped shedding. It is now almost back to how it was when I was younger. I've been told it is also linked to thyroid problems as well as low estrogen. hth x