Do you think BF prevents us from losing weight?

Options
sweetnotsour
sweetnotsour Posts: 14 Member
I have heard numerous times that it's almost impossible to lose the last 5-10 lbs when you are breastfeeding. Have you ladies found that at all? What do you think?

Replies

• Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've found it impossible to lose any real weight while BF but I'll keep trying to build good habits and stay healthy. Last time, 4 years ago, as soon as I stopped BFing I lost weight easier but it didn't shift until then. Unfortunately I developed Hypothyroidism afterwards but that's under control now so it shouldn't be a problem this time around.
    My little one will be 12 months soon but she relies more on milk than solids.
  • sageskye
    sageskye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this too... I only stopped breastfeeding my oldest when I was pregnant again so I don`t know whether or not this is the case for me. Of course I have a lot more to lose than 5-10 lbs so I can`t blame it all (if any) on breastfeeding :wink:
  • MamaAubry
    MamaAubry Posts: 8
    Options
    From breastfeedingbasics.com

"Remember to factor in the weight of your breasts when setting your weight loss goals. The ‘average’ mom (remember, the one who doesn’t exist in real life?) – will carry around about 3 extra pounds of breast tissue while she’s lactating. Some more, some less, but don’t expect to lose that weight until after your baby stops nursing."

Could explain that last 5-10 pounds some mamas are having trouble with.
  • tiffany1226
    tiffany1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone told me if I breastfeed I'll lose weight....I've lost some after baby...(DS2 is 6 months) but I'm having trouble. If I cut calories I lose weight and supply. If I stay with my calories....I seem to actually gain. :(
  • MamaAubry
    MamaAubry Posts: 8
    Options
    If your weight seems to fluctuate with your supply, it might be that when your supply is up, you're carrying more weight in your breast tissue, as mentioned above. Everyone is different tho, I'm having the exact opposite problem. My supply is pretty consistent regardless of my caloric intake (unless I don't eat AT ALL, or I don't get enough fluids) but I lost all my pregnancy weight, and then couldn't stop. I'm currently having to eat roughly 3300 calories a day to make my net goal of 2400, and have only gained 5 pounds since starting a month and a half ago. By the end of the day I feel like I'm all belly and about to pop (sort of like being pregnant again, lol). So it seems like no matter which direction you're going for on the scale, up or down, breastfeeding makes it harder!
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight while BFing. Granted, I wasn't trying very hard, but they weight didn't start really coming off until I weaned my son at 6 months. It was really hard for me to find a balance between eating enough calories to produce milk, but not too many calories so I would still lose weight.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while BFing my first. I ate when I was hungry, which was ALL THE TIME! This time I am trying to make healthier choices and only eat when I'm hungry vs. when I'm bored. We'll see how it goes...
  • koolcat22
    Options
    Everyone told me if I breastfeed I'll lose weight....I've lost some after baby...(DS2 is 6 months) but I'm having trouble. If I cut calories I lose weight and supply. If I stay with my calories....I seem to actually gain. :(

I have the same issues. I hate all this fat on me but do I want a cranky baby and lose sleep so I can lose weight and decrease my supply or do I want a happy and full baby and not able to lose weight? It's a tough one... I can usually lose weight easy by limiting calories-no big deal-but since bf-ing needs extra calories I can't lose a darn thing!!!
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Glad I joined this group. I've lost a fair bit but now i'm just stuck. 4 months in ebf xxx
  • Chellypooh82
    Chellypooh82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 33 pounds in 3 weeks. Then it got harder. I wasworking out and eating less and finding it hard to kick off those last coluple of pre-pregnacy pounds. I then joined my fitness and eat about 1800-1900 calories per day and I am loosing wiehg t really well. I was 175 before I got pregnant 213 was my highest weight. Now I am 167 (5 pounds under Pre-preggers weight). I am really happy with my weightloss. I have found that since I have stopped stressing and started watching my calories. The pounds are coming off t a healthy rate. I would like to get to 155, so I have about 12 pounds to go. Good luck ladies and I do think that BF helps to loose weight.
  • Musical_Erika
    Options
    Sometimes I really feel this way! Those last ten pounds are holding on for dear life, but I'm getting close to what I weighed pre-pregnancy (nine months on, nine off, right?). Exercise is tough every day when you nurse on demand though. Does anyone else have trouble getting in a workout?
    You guys are awesome for being nursing mommas. I'd rather have those last ten pounds and nurse than the alternative.