Ok...what if I WANT to reduce my muscle mass?

Options
nettasaura
nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
Helpful suggestions for exercise regimens that will help REDUCE muscle mass on purpose please?

I have my reasons.....

So please don't roast me alive. :flowerforyou: :blushing:

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    thank you for asking what i always wanted to ask! What I've found is doing slow, steady cardio but not frequently. Don't work out a lot. Cut back on how much you're eating, and eat clean. I think these are the only things that work, at least for me. I build muscle like crazy and it drives ME crazy!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Its pretty simple. Eat at a calorie deficit, and do not weight train. This will help the body not retain muscle mass.

Mike
  • nettasaura
    Options
    So strictly cardio, but not intense and no weight training. If I am only wanting to de-bulk my legs, can I still weight train upper body?

I used to be a sprinter.......so I very very quickly develop legs that look like pile drivers (yes, I am one of THOSE unfortunate women). Will body weight training on the lower half create as much bulk or should I just keep an eye on it and adjust if I am getting too bulky?
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think that is a fair question-I bulk up really fast as well, so I get where you are coming from. I want my shirts to fit!

what fiveohmike said!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    So strictly cardio, but not intense and no weight training. If I am only wanting to de-bulk my legs, can I still weight train upper body?

I used to be a sprinter.......so I very very quickly develop legs that look like pile drivers (yes, I am one of THOSE unfortunate women). Will body weight training on the lower half create as much bulk or should I just keep an eye on it and adjust if I am getting too bulky?

You can definitely weight train the upper body, without doing lower body. Just use a seated bench or something to isolate your legs so they are not in use.

Standard running, walking would be good to tone up without bulking.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

This is a very interesting topic.. If you stay strictly cardio you are still working out your leg muscles so running or stairs or anything are still going to build your leg muscles.. hate to ask the question but whats your BF% at? Your legs may be like that until this number gets lower.. if its already low then you can do light cardio (walking).. You can also try to tone (higher rep, lower weight) on your legs to lower your muscle mass.. but thats not guaranteed depends on your frame.
  • nettasaura
    Options
    Thank you so much! I figure with my cardio and running up and down the stairs here at home all day, they are getting enough of a workout as it is. I'll focus on upper body then....I'll admit that's where I am super weak. Legs....not....I can easily do over 20 squats with hubby on my back and he weighs 200 pounds. This make me doubt the bf% I get from online calcs.....I have the sneaky suspicion there's an awful lot of bulk underneath all this fat. I may be fat, but I am strong fat lol! I'd like to not look like the incredible hulk on the lower half once I lose all the fat.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Muscle mass does not necessary equal muscle strength. It is possible to be strong without having a large muscle mass. This is true for me. My muscle mass decreased by 7lbs during the VLCD I was on while my strength increased. Also, have you tried doing any hamstring exercises? Almost all women have incredibly strong quads and very weak hamstrings unless they have worked to strengthen them specifically.

This article helps explain what to do to build strength as opposed to muscle mass. Hope it helps!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/436092-mass-vs-strength/
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about BF% too...depending on how far you are from your goal you'll have to accept that your body is going to change a great deal in unpredictable ways until you get there. If I'm not mistaken, you still have a ways to go so I don't think you can have a very accurate picture of whether you have too much muscle or not until you get the fat loss out of the way. And reducing muscle mass is going to work against you when it comes to fat loss as well, so keep that in mind.

Body recomposition through weight training is a wonderful thing, but I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Focus on the fat loss & you'll have plenty of time to sculpt your body later.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've pondered this very question. I'm short with a stubby build even at 120 lbs. My legs are especially thick and while I want them defined I want long/lean-looking definition, not thick bulky muscle which is what I'm afraid these short thick legs of mine are going to do to me. Oh how I just want lithe thin legs without fat and without bulk, I HATE my thick legs. :P
  • nettasaura
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic.. If you stay strictly cardio you are still working out your leg muscles so running or stairs or anything are still going to build your leg muscles.. hate to ask the question but whats your BF% at? Your legs may be like that until this number gets lower.. if its already low then you can do light cardio (walking).. You can also try to tone (higher rep, lower weight) on your legs to lower your muscle mass.. but thats not guaranteed depends on your frame.

I don't know my actual bf%, but online calcs have it pretty high based on just simple measurements alone. An actual test might show a different number (I might cave and buy calipers). For now, I am not going to worry about it too much as I just want to get the fat off (priority #1!)....if I bulk up at first, then so be it. But I do want to know what to do later to reduce the muscle mass if having gotten bulky is the case.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Pro ana boards can be helpfull for that. Outside hours of cardio I have no idea
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you have a high BF% right now, why even worry about body composition (that you're not even sure you'll have)? Honestly, I've never understood why women would deliberately want to lose muscle mass.. it makes you strong, supports your bones, and does a better job of assisting in weight loss.

But whatever. Maybe don't eat much and don't work out at all and see how it goes. Good Luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A "bulky" appearance is usually caused by a combination of fat and muscle.

I do build muscle slightly faster than the average woman. I recently put on about 4-5 lbs of it. That took FOUR MONTHS OF HEAVY LIFTING AND EATING 3000 CALORIES A DAY.

I am very skeptical when a woman says she's "bulks" easily. Women (even those with hormone issues) only have 1/3rd the testosterone (or less) than a man has. Further more it's difficult to build a significant quantity of muscle mass while on a diet. Some people can, including those new to lifting and those who are obese. Your muscles swell and retain water when you lift weights. If you have large fat deposits over these muscles, yes, they might look bulky. Lose the fat to get thinner, leaner, sexier legs.

I do understand that some women don't like the muscular look, but it makes me sad that a look that corresponds with strength and power is somehow undesired.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If it's honestly muscle, then you would reduce it by doing nothing. Then your muscles would atrophy and voila, no more muscle.

The only thing with that, as the ladies above me have stated, if there is a layer of fat over muscle, then it "appears" like we are bulking up really fast. Muscle always forms underneath the fat, so it pushes the fat "out" further, and gives a bulky look. The only way to get rid of the bulk is to get rid of the fat. My own legs "bulk" easily, in that I carry more fat there. So when I build muscle in my legs, my legs seem huge. When I get to the point that I can't fit my jeans anymore, then I focus more on losing fat, not muscle. The reason is that when my legs get to the size that I want them to be, I still want them to be tight and lean. If I just focus on getting my legs down to size w/o any muscle, then they will still look fat, when I get to the "goal" size. Besides the fact that the more muscle I have on my legs, the better job my body does w/helping me to burn fat. So I'm constantly trying to up my fat burning factor (aka build enough muscle)..

Sprinting for cardio will definitely build *more* mass in that area, but it also provides a great afterburn effect, helping you to shed fat. I would def get your overall bf% checked to make sure that it is all muscle there. If the bf% on your legs is rather low, and it truly is ALL muscle, then just stop working them and focus on upper until your muscle atrophies down to the desired size. But just be sure that you know what you will be left with afterward, and that its the "look" that you truly want. :wink:

~Kiki
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    This topic is very interesting to me. When I get to my goal weight I hope to be slender and not bulky with muscle. So far everything is just getting smaller and more defined..like my ankles and calves.
    Good luck nettasaura!
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My husband is built with massive tree trunk legs. He runs and does upper body workouts. It makes him look very lean. His legs get much slimmer but still have shape. The running keeps them toned but doesn't build them up.
  • nettasaura
    Options
    Kiki, thank you for your answer. It was information that I wanted and needed and was delivered in the wonderfully thoughtful and constructive way that you always manage. I truly appreciate it.

A few of the previous posters weren't very nice. Since when does eating 2,000 cals a day qualify me as pro ana? A few of you made me cry....yes, I cried (still am actually). I need support, as I have none here at home, not criticism. I can't learn anything if I don't ask questions, now can I?
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Besides the fact that the more muscle I have on my legs, the better job my body does w/helping me to burn fat. So I'm constantly trying to up my fat burning factor (aka build enough muscle)..
    ~Kiki

Yup, I've totally heard (read?) that building muscle in your legs does wonders for your overall fat burning potential since your lower body houses the largest muscles. I also need to raise my booty up quite a bit, lol, if I can perk up and solidify my booty I will happily carry on with thick muscle in my legs....my rear has been my nemesis since 5th grade. Srsly. That's when I saw a pic of me in a swim suit and noticed cellulite on my rear and I've never been the same. :P
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    Kiki, thank you for your answer. It was information that I wanted and needed and was delivered in the wonderfully thoughtful and constructive way that you always manage. I truly appreciate it.

A few of the previous posters weren't very nice. Since when does eating 2,000 cals a day qualify me as pro ana? A few of you made me cry....yes, I cried (still am actually). I need support, as I have none here at home, not criticism. I can't learn anything if I don't ask questions, now can I?

oh hon, don't let people get to you! I couldn't believe that pro ana comment, seriously thought I was reading it wrong! just ignore the snide comments and remarks! people can be hurtful! I think your question is absolutely a fair questions!! We all have parts of our bodies that we don't like and if you have "big" legs then of course you're going to be concerned about them getting bigger! Totally fair question! I hope Kiki's answer helped you understand that more than likely that WON'T happen just from lifting! My lower half is my "issue" as well and since I've started heavy lifting (totally fearing that it would make my butt/legs bulk) I have actually been extremely pleased with results...they are seeming more toned, sleeker, etc. Once I start my cut I'm hoping they'll shape right up! =) Hang in there, and keep asking questions even if you're afraid of the rude comments b/c they're few and far between! The rest of us are here to help! =)