Ok...what if I WANT to reduce my muscle mass?

Options
2»

Replies

• seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    oh, and ps - I think we all have very different definitions for the word "bulky"!! I defnitely want strong, toned, lean arms that look sexy but I do NOT want big muscles! I've posted questions before about "heavy lifting" and getting too big, etc. and people always respond with statements like "look at so and so's pics on her profile, she doesn't look bulky and she lifts heavy" and then I promptly go to "so and so's" profile, look through her pics and am totally confused because to ME, she looks "big" or "bulky". Clearly she's not too bulky for HER own personal preference but I personally do not want big arms. I want strong, defined arms (and am getting there by the way..hehe) but I do not want to look the way some people look who say they're "not bulky". Anyway, my point is everyone has a different opinion on what is too much muslce, too bulky, etc. and it's ok to disagree.....we don't need to make each feel bad for having a certain goal or desired look in mind for our own bodies! I lift havey 3 days a week and have been for a month or so and am LOVING the new muscles and strength, I'm addicted to lifting now but that doesn't mean that my idea of "bulky" has really changed much....still want long, lean strong, defined muscles....not "bulky" ones! =)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I had a DEXA scan recently....when i had that done....they told me my lean muscle mass is 64.9 kilos and a female wants to aim for only 40 kilos. They basically told me as i still have another 5-7 kilos of fat to actually lose....to do cardio, cardio, cardio and they recommended eating 700-800 cals below my TDEE they actually told me if i need to lose 15 kilos to lose 5 kilos of fat and the rest lean mass it wouldnt matter cos of my high content....so cardio does seem the way to go :)
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had a DEXA scan recently....when i had that done....they told me my lean muscle mass is 64.9 kilos and a female wants to aim for only 40 kilos. They basically told me as i still have another 5-7 kilos of fat to actually lose....to do cardio, cardio, cardio and they recommended eating 700-800 cals below my TDEE they actually told me if i need to lose 15 kilos to lose 5 kilos of fat and the rest lean mass it wouldnt matter cos of my high content....so cardio does seem the way to go :)

Wait wait wait...I thought we're supposed to back off on cardio in EM2LM??? Now I'm officially thoroughly confused.
    I love cardio because I LOVE how it makes my body look but I've backed it wayyyyy down from 9 hours/week to a measly 3 hours/well and have been severely saddened by the results but figured I just had to keep the faith and keep lifting heavier....God this is the most confusing crap ever.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think the issue with too much cardio is all the extra calories you end up having to eat to stay above BMR and NOT eat up muscle mass if you are trying to build muscle with weight training.

Am I right? Somebody else back me up if I am.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

Wait wait wait...I thought we're supposed to back off on cardio in EM2LM??? Now I'm officially thoroughly confused.
    I love cardio because I LOVE how it makes my body look but I've backed it wayyyyy down from 9 hours/week to a measly 3 hours/well and have been severely saddened by the results but figured I just had to keep the faith and keep lifting heavier....God this is the most confusing crap ever.

Days, they told her to do more cardio to reduce her lean mass. Cardio is the way to go if you want to get rid of lean mass along with fat, but most of us are trying to build lean mass while reducing fat. So less cardio (shorter sessions of HIIT, or other cardio less often) along with heavy lifting will achieve this much quicker than just doing hours upon hours of cardio.