were most of you...

Bunnybeesweet
Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
new to lifting and/or out of shape?

or experienced and/or already fit when you started nrolfw?

or somewhere in between?

Replies

• melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Ugh the first one, definitely! I'm only a few workouts in, I swear I could benefit from just lifting the bars with no weights and squatting my body weight. I had no idea I was so weak!!
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Mixed answer for me. I had been lifting on and off for more than half a year before I started this, but I'm still obese. I'm definitely making faster improvement in strength with this program than I was doing random exercises on my own haha. But I had gone from wheazing to jogging an hour straight on a treadmill before starting this, so at least I had my stamina in order ahead of time.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    I was fit as I play soccer, but not getting anywhere shredding my BF% down so someone suggested weightlifting and I came across this book, as I had never lifted before it looked like a good program that I could work through, although it turns out I was a lot stronger than I thought and stage 1 is providing an learning curve :)
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Reasonably fit cycling, walking and some core work to build up back, but totally new to lifting. I am a total weakling and having just finished phase one just a little better. However there is something uplifting (no pun intended) about it.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    I have been exercising (other than walking) for 4 months now.

Prior to NROLW, the only thing I did remotely resembling strength training was Julian Michael's 30 Day Shred (circuit training with small weights). So yeah, brand spanking new.

Oh and I went to the gym twice to have someone try to show me their version of weight training. One used the small weights and the other used the machines only. I didn't attempt either again and instead purchased this book.

Other exercises I've done in the past 4 months mostly revolve around Zumba and yoga. I've done a few aerobic workouts here and there off of youtube. There have been a few water activities and hiking excursions built in. That's about it!

I could honestly say the only thing that I was decent at before I started was doing the squats (without weights) and the swiss ball crunch was easy from the get go due to lots of crunch type exercises in the 30 Day Shred.

I am now half way through Stage 1.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    I wasn't new to lifting but hadn't lifted heavy in about 6-7 years (two pregnancies in between that time). I can't believe how much muscle I'd lost. Wow. Not to mention strength. Back in the day, I squatted 280lbs. Now I can barely do half that. It has helped a bit because I've done a lot of the more common lifts in the book. Plus, I already have been trained on proper form.

But I love a lot of the new lifts. For me, it's about really pushing those muscles so I don't care if I'm doing it with 5lb dumbbells (YTWL) or some serious weight.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    I was walking a few times a week before I started and I am new to heavy lifting. So I was out of shape and unfamiliar with lifting.
    I love it! I am half-way through with stage 1.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    I wasn't amazingly new to lifting but I hadn't done it for a while.
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    I was a runner and didn't new anything about lifting. It was/is completely new to me.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    In the middle. I worked with a trainer for a about 2 years and we lifted a lot. And then I joined a different gym (6+ months ago) and started doing pilates to rehab my back injury, I did spin, MMA conditioning, Zumba, FIT classes, whatever really and also BodyRock & ZWOWs which are bodyweight mostly. I am looking to cut BF% and get rid of my post baby pooch so I decided to give NROLFW a go.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Also a runner, brand spanking new to weight lifting.