Post-Insanity Eats

Options
SGTflatfoot
SGTflatfoot Posts: 25 Member
So far it seems like I've been doing homemade smoothies with greek yogurt, fruit, raw spinach, and light soy milk. I've been kind of hoping that the protein in the yogurt is helpful, but considering buying some powder. What are your guys' favorite recovery meals/drinks?

Replies

• alil2loveable
    alil2loveable Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So far it seems like I've been doing homemade smoothies with greek yogurt, fruit, raw spinach, and light soy milk. I've been kind of hoping that the protein in the yogurt is helpful, but considering buying some powder. What are your guys' favorite recovery meals/drinks?

Hey there...... Greek yogurt especially the non fat variety depending on brand packs anywhere from 18 - 23 grams of protein and 6-7 grams of carbs. I mostly use a pre mixed protein shake (premium nutrition is one of the best it has 30 grams of protein and 3 grams of carbs) I mix 1 of those 1 individual size non fat greek yogurt, and 1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit. When I am calorie dieting I have one for Breakfast and 1 Before bed. It is rather filling and I am not hungry again until lunch I 4 hours later.

Be back later going to work now.
  • SGTflatfoot
    Options
    That's awesome, I always get the 0% greek. I always hear about guys doing protein shakes to bulk up so I think I've avoided them because of that. I don't know if that's the right thought to have about it, though.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have access to greek yogurt :( But my post-workout snack is usually plain yogurt with half a banana, a tsp of honey, some cinnamon with a couple of chopped almonds. I've been thinking about maybe getting some protein powder since its so hard to get the recommended amount of protein, but it's kind of expensive! I have Korean grain powder stuff that has an okay amount of protein in it, but I'm not sure if it's enough.
  • Kristihub
    Kristihub Posts: 46
    Options
    I've been mostly doing smoothies too. My go to is 8oz water, 4 oz milk, 2 scoops Click protein and espresso powder, and a banana. Yesterday (on an Insanity rest day...) I added a scoop of peanut butter to that mix. I did also buy generic vanilla flavored protein powder to add to smoothies or oatmeal or pancake mix or whatever. I've had it in a smoothie once, with frozen cherries and banana.

I workout basically first thing in the morning. I've taken to having a piece of light toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter an hour before my workout.
  • rildev03
    rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use JM's whey protein powder. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk. The vanilla-I add strawberries and bananas, The chocolate-I add bananas and natural peanut butter. I am on Day 4 and have very little soreness. This is the first time trying a recovery shake and it has made a huge difference!!
  • alil2loveable
    alil2loveable Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Back

My workout days are like this. Don't judge me....

4am: Premium Vanilla Protein Shake = 30 grams protein

430am to 6am= 6 mile walk/ jog up hills

630 am:=8 oz glass of Silk Plain Coconut Milk

8am=Premium Vanilla Protein Shake w/ 1 individual nonfat greek yogurt and cup of frozen fruit= 50 grams protein

1030 am= cup pineapples (if i get the need to chew, notice I didn't say I was hungry)

1230pm= Lunch Eat anything I want

4pm= cup of pineapples, cherries, kiwi, or citrus

6pm= 8 oz glass of Silk Plain Coconut Milk

6:10PM= Insanity Workout

8pm=Premium Vanilla Protein Shake w/ 1 individual nonfat greek yogurt and cup of frozen fruit= 50 grams protein

* Disclosure: If I get the munchies or as I like to call them the greedies, I munch on raw Macadamia nuts, Walnuts, or Almonds, also sugar free jello.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I work out right before dinner on weekdays, so just dinner, whatever that may be. On the weekend I worked out earlier in the day and I made a smoothie with almond milk, half a banana, protein powder, and chocolate Amazing Grass.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I did a program before this from my trainer called "Extreme Fat Destruction". I plan on following his nutrition plan closely but not to a T. It basically consists of clean eating. My post workout meal will be a good ol' scoop of Gaspari Myofusion protein powder which now has a new probiotic formula. I might also incorporate a dosage of 15-20 gummy bears if I'm gonna be doing other things after the workout. The gummy bears are meant to restore glycogen levels and help the body better repair muscles.

As I am looking to lose weight and fat I will be counting these into my daily budget. It's important to keep your protein levels high during this!
  • csiwannabe88
    Options
    Protein shakes will help you muscles recover quicker and will help to build lean muscle. I always have one after a work out. Your body will absorb it more if you have protein within an hour after your workout. It also helps from feeling soreness with your muscles.
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ive been reading about the results and recovery shakes. Its basically a 4 to 1 ratio of Carbs to Protein. Drink no more than 90min preferably no more than hour after workout.

Most people who make their own use the whey protein and apple or grape juices. No more than 8oz of juice. The theory is to replace Glycogen and Protein to help muscles recover faster and little less sore. Be careful of the premix shakes they could be loaded with junk. I know I dont need to say it here but read the labels :)

my 2 cents :)

Anyone know a good whey protein powder? Im only going to do recovery drinks, other than that just eat what I normally do. High protein medium carbs and low fat.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    EAS has a great whey protein powder that tastes awesome. Really high quality whey (as recommended in New Rules of Lifting - where you are trying to build TONS of muscle). If you can find someone with a wholesale club membership (I get mine from BJs Wholesale), you can get a 5lb bag for $30.
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I got roped into buying the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. She said to use 2 scoops instead of the 3 for recovery drink. Any one else tried it or have thoughts on it? Thinking about actually just getting the beachbody result and recovery drink lol
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My post-INSANITY meal is typically protein and fast absorbing carbs (the ones you should typically stay away from any other time other than right after a workout). It varies based on what I feel like having but try to stay between a 2:1 and 4:1 carb-protein ratio. Here are a few that I have used:

1) Frosted flakes with skim mik
    2) A tbsp of jelly and a slice or two of white bread with protein mixed in water
    3) Fruit juice and protein (I use the GNC unflavored whey so it's not too sweet)
    4) Gum drops and protein mixed with water
    5) Gatorade mixed with protein
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of chocolate milk right after I workout for my recovery drink, then I usually eat either an egg or two, or some greek yogurt. The chocolate milk makes me feel like I'm cheating, so I love every minute of it.
  • rainbowcarrie
    rainbowcarrie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a smoothie junkie!!! I'm glad there are others. I drink the same smoothie every day for breakfast cause I love it. I add a scoop of non-flavored protein powder. Add me and look at my breakfast. Post workout I mostly drink water with a scoop of glutamine.... But sometimes I turn that into a smoothie as well.

Speaking of... Does anyone have suggestions for non-flavored Protien powder? I really hate the taste of anything flavored, even vanilla. The only stuff I can find is at GNC.
  • SGTflatfoot
    Options
    I don't have any experience with any protein powder, but I do use glutamine. From what I understand, most protein powders have enough glutamine that you don't need to add more to your diet.

I just tried a kale smoothie with spinach, banana, peanut butter, and blueberries. It's not the most delicious smoothie I've made, but I want to try and come up with a good kale smoothie. Anyone tired a good one?