What should my macronutrients look like?

Options
Hello,

I recently started low carb 2 weeks ago with 1 cheat day a week. (my diary is open if you want to peek) and I'm loving the way my body is responding! I'm doing this for ab definition, not weightloss. My carbs are 80-120 and my protein is ~120, my fats are 70-90. This is mostly from nuts, oils, or a little cheese.

What kinds of numbers should I be aiming for in fats?

Also, my body doesn't seem to be healing bruises as quickly... (I do thai boxing) does this have anything to do with my diet?

Thanks so much! I'm new here in this group (glad to have found it!) I'd love some friends & support!
-SB

Replies

• ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am trying something similar although my progress has stalled lately. I am having similar issues related to bruising. Just hitting reply in case any interesting replies appear :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hey

Bruising easily can be a sign of iron deficiency anaemia- make sure you eat plenty of iron rich foods like leaft green veggies, broccoli, nuts and some red meats.

If the bruising is particularly bad I would see your doctor as this could be a sign of kidney issues.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has not taken off for me. I've been dieting since Jan 5th. First on carbs, then counted calories and now back to carbs. I'm way more at home and comfy with carbs. Thinking of doing the one day cheat thing. I have only been on this site since March 12th and really love it. I've only lost 6 lbs since Jan 5th. Wondering about Metabolic resistance Any suggestions?
  • SBgettingLean
    Options
    I've recently been keeping an eye on my protein intake and I seem to be healing faster. So bruise question is answered.

But what should my macronutrients look like? Right now I have an average of 21% carbs, 33% protein and 46% fats.

All my fats are from nuts, extra virgin olive oil, avocados, and the occasional dairy product.

Anyone have any idea of what I should be aiming for? What are your percentages?
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 20% carbs, 25% protein and 55% fats for now
  • SBgettingLean
    Options
    I've switched mine to 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fats and it seems to be working out really well!
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've switched mine to 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fats and it seems to be working out really well!

I have over 100 lbs to lose and was told by my physician to keep my numbers at this:
    5% carbs
    25% protein
    70% healthy fats
    It has really curbed my cravings and upped my energy levels! I have gone from sleeping 9 hrs a night to falling into a deep sleep quickly and jumping out of bed after 7 hrs! I love this life style!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Since March I lost 8 pounds the first month then three a month since then. Lost lots of inches. Macros are at 20% carbs, 30% protein and 50% fat. This seems to be the sweet spot for me, I can exercise with no problem and still lose at a steady (but slow) rate--no going up and down.
    You have to play around and find what works for YOU!! Then stick with it. I "only" had 36 pounds to lose but I figured from the beginning it would probably take me a year. In the meantime at the tender age of 62 I'm figuring out what will work for the rest of my life--and that is no more quick fixes!