I'm on Primal. Must I track my calories?

Options
I was on MFP last year and lost some weight just counting calories, then fell away and gained it all back. Now I've started eating Primal and have lost eight pounds. I feel incredible and it's alleviated a lot of symptoms, including joint pain and acid reflux. I think I would eat this way even if I wasn't losing weight. It seems like one of the benefits of eating this way is NOT having to count calories and track every bite. What do y'all do? Do you just ignore the calorie count and food diary here, and just weigh in? How do you use MFP on Paleo/Primal? Do you put your macro percentages in and track those? Just curious. I wasn't sure what to put in for my calorie count now that I'm on Primal.

Replies

• Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness... I was wondering the same thing. I have started Paleo and noticed that even when tracking calories, I'm okay with everything I eat.

I don't feel guilty over what I"m eating or how much, especially since I've learned to eat till i feel satisfied, not till I feel full and stuffed :)

I'd say you should do what feels comfortable. I tend to log food not for calories, but to keep track and to keep myself accountable for what I'm putting in my body, as I'm still new to Paleo and working my way our of grains and dairy. :)

Hope this helps! Add me for Paleo support if you want :)
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to Paleo (almost have 1 month down - with a pretty epic fall off the wagon last night at work with pizza [and it made me sick]) but I log my food, not only to see how my calories are doing - I tend to eat less on paleo than I did as a vegetarian thanks to the protein keeping me fuller longer - but also to keep track of my macros. I'm aiming for about 25% carbs, 35% protein and 40% fat, but idk if these are ideal proportions or not.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I log my calories to watch how much I am eating. If you over eat you will gain weight. Calories are units of energy and your body will only burn so many a day.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I log my calories to watch how much I am eating. If you over eat you will gain weight. Calories are units of energy and your body will only burn so many a day.

This.

People tend to lose weight on paleo/primal because they're feeding their bodies healthier foods, which will in turn lead to a healthier appetite and less tendency to overeat. But it's still quite possible. Eating too many primal foods will cause weight gain just as eating too much of any kind of food, because calories need to go somewhere.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to you. I tracked for a few weeks but I was looking more at carb grams and I was also at my weight goal (I went 12lbs past it with Primal Blueprint). I know that animal protein is roughly 6g per ounce. So that's easy. But after 6 months of calorie counting, weighing, logging and such I was sick of it.

I quickly learned that protein and fat are very, very satisfying and filling but not in a "stuffed" way. (30g of fat or more in one sitting is very filling). I don't want to eat and eat these.

In my body carbohydrates are an appetite stimulant. Even in the form of sweet potatoes and fruit. And they create nasty cravings. I start eating and it doesn't matter how "stuffed" I feel I want to keep eating. There's no signal to stop like I get from protein/fat.

But it is next to impossible to overeat protein/fat. Not impossible...but very, very hard to do.

One thing I have noticed is that when my calories increase my energy expenditure increase follows within a couple of days - automatically - unconsciously I burn more calories. Eating a good amount of fat at one time makes me hyper, too - a full fat can of coconut milk will have me bouncing off the walls. (I never thought I would be using that word to describe me...hyper).
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I track cals out of habit and just to keep me extra mindful (I love eating walnuts, macadamia nuts etc).

It is also nice to see how much i'm eating at a sitting and how it affects my workout, sleep patterns etc.

Whatever works for you.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

This - also like someone else posted - when I was journaling I was really looking at my Carb intake as the primary focus and my calories secondary. Most of the time I was under my calorie goal in a day because I was full...fats and protiens help you feel satiatied.

A lot depends on what you are eating - I have been eatign this way for quite a while so I usually eat within the same parmeters so I am to a point where jornaling is almost an afterthought because my diet is mainly veggies, meat, nuts and some fruits...for the most part I am not eating processed foods and when I do go "off track" it is for something simple and not a huge binge (I.e. I went to movies on Saturday and had some movie theater popcorn - not a big deal to me because I go to the movies maybe 3-4 X's a year....) I have found that certain foods I used to eat all the time now make me sick to my stomach so I find even though I may want to eat them I just stay away knowing the bad things that will happen about an hour after eating them....
  • TexasTomato
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. It's really helpful. I went off gluten first and it made me feel so much better that I'm not even tempted to eat processed stuff or bread, so far. I think I will track calories and macros for a while. That way I can tinker with things when I hit a plateau of weight loss. Really need to step up my exercise now too!