Bikram Calorie Count

Options
Curious, how many calories do y'all log for a Bikram class?

Replies

• taureanbuddhist
    taureanbuddhist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I log 450 for an hour class and 668 for a 90 minute class...these are the sites i use to best guess the calories:)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/115471-calories-burned-during-bikram-yoga/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/297874-calories-burned-in-beginners-bikram-yoga/
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I log 400 calories--90 minutes. It's probably higher or lower depending on different factors, I figure it evens out over a period of time.
  • taureanbuddhist
    Options
    i only logged 500 for my 90 min Vinyasa Hot Yoga yesterday since it didnt seem as intense as my regular 60 minute class...
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in trying bikram yoga, have always wanted to, so now I will stop the procrastination.
    Can anyone tell me about their first experience and if it was like you expected it to be??
    Does the heat make it difficult to breathe?

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in trying bikram yoga, have always wanted to, so now I will stop the procrastination.
    Can anyone tell me about their first experience and if it was like you expected it to be??

Everyone is different. I didn't have any problems my first class; it was the 2nd and 3rd that kicked my @$$. I've been doing it a few years and I still see new people walking out and never come back, but other people stick with it.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hmm thanks for the reply! Yeah my biggest fear is feeling like I can't get a good breath in the sauna type enviroment. Gonna give it a try. :happy:
  • taureanbuddhist
    Options
    Hmm thanks for the reply! Yeah my biggest fear is feeling like I can't get a good breath in the sauna type enviroment. Gonna give it a try. :happy:
    I don't think that the humidity is too bad (but I live in VA and our humidity outside the class is worse than inside the class)...it is warm/hot in the room, but if you arrive 15-20 minutes early you should be acclimated to the heat by the time the class starts...you will sweat a lot, but I find the depth and quality of stretch I get with the movement is deeper...so I am usually a little sore a day or two after class...start with a 60 minute beginner class and have fun with it:)
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I have been practicing since 99 and I want to die every single time. That being said it has changed my life for the better. You hate it during but you feel magical after. namaste
  • Goddaessa
    Goddaessa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor which calculates calories. I log between 650 and 800 calories but the avg is usually about 700.
  • silvercelticmoon
    Options
    I have to agree with the posting that said you hate it during, but feel magical afterward. I feel lighter in spirit, cleansed (even though I am dripping in sweat!) and so free and happy after class. The 600-700 calorie workout, weight loss, and core strength building only add to the reasons I go into this class and keep motivating me throughout the time spent in that hot, humid environment. I know how great I will feel after it is all through.

If you have never done Hot Yoga, Here are a few things to prepare you:

1. Get workout clothing that wick the moisture away from your body (do NOT wear sweatpants to your first class like I did!)
    2. Take a towel to wipe off the sweat (maybe two!)
    3. Buy a headband - you may look cheesey and feel like Olivia Newton John in a replay of her "Let's Get Physical" video, but believe me...you will thank me and yourself for buying and wearing it ($3.00 at Walmart).
    4. Bring water!!!
    5. Before going to class, drink water, do not stay in a air conditioned place-acclimate yourself so that the heat isn't that much of a shock (its 90-100+ degrees with a humidifier in there!)
    6. After you decide you love Hot Yoga, buy some gloves with the sticky stuff on them (helps your grip on the mat), buy your own mat and a refillable water bottle (this you don't have to wait for!)
    7. Enjoy the experience.

Anyone have any other suggestions??? I would love to hear what items you suggest would benefit the yoga experience as well!
  • shawashanah
    Options
    Hello,

I use http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm

This site ask you, your weight and how many minutes of Bikram yoga. Depending on how much you weight, you may burn more calories. Also, my class is NOT 90mins so i needed to find a calculator that allowed me to put in other times.
    Curious, how many calories do y'all log for a Bikram class?