buying a dumbell set: how much weight total?

Options
bellabrite
bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
I'm fairly new at lifting and need to buy a set of adjustable dumbells. I am already pretty fit 5'7 female, 37 years old. I am trying to figure out if I should spend less money on a set that only goes up to 24 lbs. and is not expandable, or twice the amount of money on a set that goes up to 50 lbs. I have no idea if I'd ever outgrow 24 lbs, but I certainly wouldn't want to own two sets in the end!

I intend to start ChaLean extreme OR New Rules of Lifting for Women (if I can figure out the equipment situation). Most likely it will be ChaLean.

Thanks!

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months into heavy lifting and I can bench press using 35 lb dumbells (but 80 lbs on the barbell) and overhead press with 30 lb dumbbells. I say get the heavier weights.
  • bellabrite
    Options
    Thanks!

The PowerBlock set runs $330 to $390 for the heavier weights.
    Wondering if anyone has found anything less expensive for weights that go up to 50lbs?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months into heavy lifting and I can bench press using 35 lb dumbells (but 80 lbs on the barbell) and overhead press with 30 lb dumbbells. I say get the heavier weights.

WOW! That sounds so heavy to me, Lol. I'm looking into lifting myself..Ladyace, can you tell me how much you started with and how many sets/reps? Thanks!!
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    I agree with the advice to go with the heavier weights. I have a set up to 35 lbs. and am in the process of buying more to get some heavier ones. When you do leg work, you'll definitely want more than 35 lb. dumb bells in my opinion....
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'd say too, go for the heavier ones
  • bellabrite
    Options
    This is a dumb question, but how do you do legwork with dumb bells?
  • ladyace2078
    Options
    This is a dumb question, but how do you do legwork with dumb bells?

Hold the dumbells in your hands down by your sides or up on your shoulders and do lunges, squats, deadlifts, etc.
  • ladyace2078
    Options

WOW! That sounds so heavy to me, Lol. I'm looking into lifting myself..Ladyace, can you tell me how much you started with and how many sets/reps? Thanks!!

It's okay I never ever thought I would be able to lift that heavy!! I started with 8 lb dumbbells on overhead press and 10 lb dumbbells on chest press. I did 3 sets of 10 reps, but after about a month and only getting to 12/15 lb dumbbells, I bought NROLFW. After reading that I started lifting heavier and targeting 4-8 reps for 3 sets. If I can do 8 or more reps for 2 sets, I increase my weight. I can now do 3 sets of 6-7 reps using 30 lb dumbbells and I won't be able to go to 35 lb for awhile, so I'm thinking about switching to barbell so I can use smaller increments. It's why I switched to barbell for chest press (which I'm ready to increase weight since I just did 80 lbs 3 sets of 8-9 reps).
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You could just go to Walmart and buy individual weights as you need them. They sell the handles and weights individually. I'm not sure it will save any money in the long run, but I always prefer not having to pay so much initially. Just a thought if you are undecided on how much weight you want.
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of Chalean Extreme. I bought the powerblocks which go up to 24 pounds and I really regret not buying the heavier set or the selecttechs. I have some dumbbells that I can use that are 30 lbs and I have been using them for some lower body exercises since fairly early in the program. They are so uncomfortable to hold vs the powerblocks. I have been really happy with the powerblocks other than wishing I had gone heavier. I got a great deal online at ****'s Sporting goods with free shipping. I also signed up for their email list and got a discount.
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that would asterisk out the name of the store. It's D I C K ' S sporting goods:)
  • bellabrite
    Options
    Thanks you guys, this info is really helpful!!!
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can see you're trying to save some money by deciding which set of dumbbells is for you and as a tip, I must recommend checking out your local kijiji site! Yesterday I just bought (today I picked up from the seller) a barbell, weight bench, 2 25lb plates, 2 15lbs, and 2 10lbs on kijiji for $50 and saw a couple similar results too.

And for the same price I just found seven solid dumbbells (2 - 10 lbs, 2 - 20 lbs, 1 - 25 lbs, and 2 - 30 lbs) plus plates with dumbbell handles (4 - 5 lbs, 4 - 10 lbs, and 2 - 25 lbs). Steal and a half! Don't be afraid to look around.

Used sports stores, even your local used store. Went into Value Village today too and they had about a half dozen weight plates all under $15 and up to 25lbs.
  • bellabrite
    Options
    I am also wondering if I need the set that adjusts in 2.5 lb increments or 5 lb increments! I am a beginning lifter, so I really don't know. . . I'm just used to the 2 and 3 lb weights in Pilates class -- but we don't really "lift" those.