Changed my goals

Options
Nana_Anne
Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
I have been asking my sisters who are runners and one lost 100 pounds a few years ago about my goals. I also talked to two trainers. I have 30 pounds left to loose but now after 58 pounds this year in loss, I am getting pretty flabby. Some young could understand BUT this is more a senior issue. Our skin isn't as elastic as when we were young. I have been doing mostly cardio, walking this last year. Now I really need to concentrate on strength and muscles. Do I have any? I wonder. hee hee. I worked out for 15 minutes in strength training yesterday and thought I would fall over. It reminded me of the first time I walked and could barely get across the street. I will persevere! I changed my goals to a half a pound a week. The scale or measuring tape doesn't really concern me as much as can I strengthen my body. Can I? Yep!! You betcha! So....here I go on to my next goal :-) I do know I need support because a big part of me wants to just blow out this last 30 pounds. My daughter and I will be making new lotion Monday and we are adding in vitamin E oil. I have to put lotion on all over after I bathe. So here is a question.....How is everyone else doing in this area of skin and strength??

Replies

• nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Hey Anne: Funny how you are thinking same thoughts as me today. Last night hubby and I started doing weight lifting...with 5 lbs...then next week we are going on to 8 lbs...I have played around with the 2 and 3 lbs. and they are getting me nowhere. We do for about 20 minutes this week...Flappy arms...wings....Triceps are what my Grandson showed me to do, so I am sticking with that for awhile. My back hurts doing floor push ups so thats outta here for me...I hurt enough for now. Doesn't help you much , but that is what I am doing. Take care my dear friend. Hugs, Di
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    you've hit on my biggest worries. we are almost same age, started out at basically the same weight. You've done amazing losing 58 and I've lost about half what you have. Every pound gone is more flab. I'm terrified at how awful I will look at minus 60 or minus the 90 I wanted to lose. I think I will have a kangaroo tummy and God knows where my boobs will end up.....

Years ago, i promised myself I'd have surgery to remove skin. and I would have years ago. but I never lost the weight then and I fear surgery at my age now especially with diabetes. I'm so afraid my weight loss, though good for me, will just make me look just as bad as when I'm fat.

I am weight training 3 times/week. I have gotten incredibly strong as I consistently up the weights on the machines. My legs are rock solid....but I never gained a lot in them to start with...I'm an 'apple' so all my fat is in the tummy/boobs. I have a horror vision in my head as to what I'm going to look like.

I was going to ask if our skin would tighten at this age...but I think I've been afraid to.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Diane, I just saw your post on belly fat. Cardio and core stregthening is what will do the trick! Planks and push ups and I do not know the name but I bring my elbow to my knee standing and laying down. There are many core exercises just find the ones that work for you.

Scubanana, I'm sorry I can't remember your name. I am changing my lifestyle seriously, after a year I am still at work! I can drive by fast food or walk past junk food but oooooh I so remember and feel the tug. I do not give in now Praise God! Like so many of us, I have serious health issues. I have watched my dad undergo several heart attacks and surgery for stints and bypasses. I have two blockages at 40%. One is serious since it is 3/4 of the way down the artery. I would rather regain the elasticity in my arteries then my skin anyday of the week! So, that being said......The slower you go the faster you get there. I lost 58 pounds over a year. I had eatting disorders for many years. I will admit this year I was only bulimic once but I have to watch the swing between overeatting and then going to other way of not eatting.

I have read about tummy flab. If you can grab your tummy and there is fat in between the skin actually that is a good sign meaning your need core strength. I forgot the technical name for it all. If you can only pull up skin then you are looking at a more serious issue. First you must wait a minium of a year maybe two for your skin to adjust and shrink down. IF at that point you have just skin with no fat you may want to look into a tummy tuck. The surgery for JUST skin is very simple and not as costly. The majority of people doing core strengthening will not need surgery at all. That is great news!! There is one fact about growing older and that is......gravity takes over! But now we have spanx! HOORAY!!! I want to buy a pair or two or three! LOL!!!! I also wear a good support bra. Mine has back support too and they make them pretty :-) If not I can add lace to anything.

I do love this community. I have a few people who are young as friends but they do not face the same issues as we do. I have choose to embrace and love my age. If I have a little loose skin here or there I will embrace that too. You have a wonderful hubby and I just know he will love you no matter what. You are absolutly beautiful inside and out. Yes, you are.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome weight loss. I think strength training is very important, and have been doing it since my 20's. Right now what I do is one or two sets at a time spread throughout the day. I work at home so when I get up to take a break I often do one of my exercises. I know doing it this way doesn't give it a cardio factor but for me it seems like I'm not using any time to get the workout in and it's much easier for me that way. I keep a chart of my exercises and try to get through all of them twice a week. My daughter is certified as a trainer even though it isn't her job. She helped me with my list and says to use as heavy of a weight as you can handle to do 8-12 lifts at a time and to do them very slowly. Hope that helps.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome weight loss. I think strength training is very important, and have been doing it since my 20's. Right now what I do is one or two sets at a time spread throughout the day. I work at home so when I get up to take a break I often do one of my exercises. I know doing it this way doesn't give it a cardio factor but for me it seems like I'm not using any time to get the workout in and it's much easier for me that way. I keep a chart of my exercises and try to get through all of them twice a week. My daughter is certified as a trainer even though it isn't her job. She helped me with my list and says to use as heavy of a weight as you can handle to do 8-12 lifts at a time and to do them very slowly. Hope that helps.

Helped me Liz...I started at 2, then 3, now 5 each hand and I am going to go for more and more in the upcoming week....My want my bat wings to have dense muscle not fat fat...lol
  • bnewperson
    bnewperson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Those 'wings' are THE HARDEST to lose. I have been exercising and tricep dipping et al - taking my measurements everyother week and my upper arms and waist (which use to be teeny-tiny) are just stubborn to reduce! If anyone finds the key, share...please. In the meantime, Don't we loooooove those spanks!?! Are they coming out with arm spanks anytime soon?
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Helped me Liz...I started at 2, then 3, now 5 each hand and I am going to go for more and more in the upcoming week....My want my bat wings to have dense muscle not fat fat...lol

Glad it helped. I've been slacking off the last few weeks because I was so busy, need to get back to it. (edited cuz I messed up the formatting)
  • GeemaQ
    GeemaQ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spanks? What are Spanks?...I"m fairly new to exercise...all I have is a recumbent bike and waiting on a spin gym. Anyone have good contraption for core? I use 5 lb weights for arms...getting easy...guess I should go up...to 6...7?
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Spanks? What are Spanks?...I"m fairly new to exercise...all I have is a recumbent bike and waiting on a spin gym. Anyone have good contraption for core? I use 5 lb weights for arms...getting easy...guess I should go up...to 6...7?

SUE, spanx is a new title for the girdle!.....lol..only now it is from top to knees and longer...lol I did not like girdles and I do not like spanx...I need to breathe...hehe