Oh...a 29er that will work for me!

Options
zoom2
zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
BikeRumor.com just released details of upcoming 2013 Cannondale models, including a new women's "Tango" 29er (I assume that this is the answer to the Trail SL 29er with high standover that makes it unridable for a lot of shorter folks and women).
2013-Cannondale-Womens-Tango-29er-hardtail-mountain-bike01-600x426.jpg

I NEED this bike! DS has taken over my "petite" sized 2009 F5, which is a size too small for me, anyhow, and I really want to move up to a 29er.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That's a hot bike. You NEED this bike.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Nice ride.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sweet lord almighty! A hardtail 29er us ladies can actually mount without a step stool. Definitely liking the Delta-V "notchy" frame for stand-over reasons. Wonder what fork (looks like a Rock Shox somethin'-somethin') & trannie she has? Might be scoping this one for myself come August/Sept... thanks for sharing.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Sweet lord almighty! A hardtail 29er us ladies can actually mount without a step stool. Definitely liking the Delta-V "notchy" frame for stand-over reasons. Wonder what fork (looks like a Rock Shox somethin'-somethin') & trannie she has? Might be scoping this one for myself come August/Sept... thanks for sharing.

I *think* (don't quote me) it will be spec'd comparably to the Trail SL models...at least that's what I'm guessing when I compare wheels and what I can see on the models Cdale currently carries. The name of the bike is apparently Tango SL, which I discovered on another site:
    705106d1340210060-cannondale-2013-177981_376173012442093_1587182874_o.jpg
    (that's gonna be huge, so right-click to see it in another window--it's a collage with several images that I found on MBTR.com)

According to a press release: "Among the offerings that are public now are a women's hardtail 29er, the Tango SL. The aluminum frame uses a Delta V-style dropped toptube to improve standover height for women. The bike also has a beefy 1.5-inch head tube for front-end stiffness. The bike will be available in configurations retailing for $890 to $1,550."

BikeRumor.com has this: "Tango is a new 29er hardtail with the stiffest front end of any of their bikes. It’s designed to have a really low stand over height and is positioned as an entry- to mid-level enthusiast mountain bike. It tops out at $1,550 with XT with an entry level model at $890."

I am crazy excited. I have a 30" inseam and am only just under 5'4". I talked to someone tonight who said the standover on the SMALL Trail SL is 30.5' and that most folks have to go down a size from what they would take in the 26" version. So the Trail SL 29er is definitely a no-go for me.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    I am crazy excited. I have a 30" inseam and am only just under 5'4". I talked to someone tonight who said the standover on the SMALL Trail SL is 30.5' and that most folks have to go down a size from what they would take in the 26" version. So the Trail SL 29er is definitely a no-go for me.

^^^ I'm actually getting excited to test ride one of these now, too! I'm 5'6" but my standover is low (damn short legs). After crashing big-time on my 26" full-suspension MTB, a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, I've been wanting to go hardtail 29er. My Stumpy is an all-mountain bike (it's just so durned heavy and squishy) and I want something more XC/race (lighter, more nimble, less travel). I actually raced my BF's bike (a full carbon race rig) and I got spoiled on it's superior handling. When I returned to my own bike to train, that's when I "bought the farm" (I guess I got cocky on the better bike). So, while I've been nursing the broken leg, I've been "shopping" - comparing models/specs/prices online. This one is way up on the list - especially considering the PRICE! Thanks for sharing this!
  • zoom2
    Options
    Oh, you actually broke your leg mountain biking?! And here I thought I'd be safer riding in the woods than running (I badly sprained--grade 2--my left ankle 2 years during a trail relay. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I continued to run on it for nearly 10 more miles...taking one for the team. Only recently does it feel sorta healed, but I'm still chicken to run off-road, now). A friend of mine destroyed her forearm in Moab. She already had a titanium plate in her wrist from a previous mtn. bike wreck. Scary! :noway:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    Snapped my fibula like a twig (crunch and all)! No blood, so no panicking. I used to think the whole "scars are nature's tattoos" quip was oh-so-cute... Until now. I now have a Frankenstein-worthy 6-inch scar down the outside of my ankle (and a plate and 10 screws as permanent souvenirs of my stupidity). So much for flashing a little ankle in cute heels....:frown: This will not deter me! (now, I may justify buying a new MTB cuz of it... but hey!)

Please don't let a prior accident deter you from the singletrack. Heal first, but get back out there. We'll just have to ride smarter, is all!

Moab is the gnarliest of gnarly. I tapped out on the Slickrock practice loop. (Albeit I was an absolute green-horn at the time.) I plan to return for a rematch some day. Ironically, Moab makes everything look suddenly MUCH easier. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully she's back at it! Sounds like a bad @ss... (a good thing.)
  • zoom2
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully she's back at it! Sounds like a bad @ss... (a good thing.)

She really is a total badass. She's one of those people who is not a natural athlete (I place myself in that category, as well), but works her butt off. Generally she rides ~10k miles/year. She's been riding on the backs of tandems for the past few weeks...while wearing a cast (she did a century on Sunday and plans another one on the 4th). Soon she will be able to ride her road bike with a forearm brace. She's hoping to be cleared for cyclocross by Fall.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I bought a Trek Mamba 29er a couple weeks ago, I love 29" wheels so much!
  • zoom2
    Options
    I bought a Trek Mamba 29er a couple weeks ago, I love 29" wheels so much!

We need photos!!!:drinker:

I think I'm really going to like those big wheels, too. I'm used to them on my CX and road bikes and when I had the opportunity to ride a Mukluk this past Winter I loved how stable it felt.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

^^^ I'm actually getting excited to test ride one of these now, too! I'm 5'6" but my standover is low (damn short legs). After crashing big-time on my 26" full-suspension MTB, a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, I've been wanting to go hardtail 29er. My Stumpy is an all-mountain bike (it's just so durned heavy and squishy) and I want something more XC/race (lighter, more nimble, less travel). I actually raced my BF's bike (a full carbon race rig) and I got spoiled on it's superior handling. When I returned to my own bike to train, that's when I "bought the farm" (I guess I got cocky on the better bike). So, while I've been nursing the broken leg, I've been "shopping" - comparing models/specs/prices online. This one is way up on the list - especially considering the PRICE! Thanks for sharing this!

My husband just got into MTB racing this summer. He bought a titanium 29er hard tail. He loves it. It's so freaking light (especially compared to my old clunker). It's a Motobacane. They have great prices. Not sure what they have for shorter people though. I'm tall and don't need a woman specific bike.
  • zoom2
    Options
    My husband just got into MTB racing this summer. He bought a titanium 29er hard tail. He loves it. It's so freaking light (especially compared to my old clunker). It's a Motobacane. They have great prices. Not sure what they have for shorter people though. I'm tall and don't need a woman specific bike.

Titanium is amazing. My friend with the titanium plates in her arm won't ride anything else. She has a custom Seven Mudhoney CX bike in titanium and now a Mukluk. Amazing how light and strong they are.

For road and CX bikes I do well on a small unisex frame. Same would be true with a 26er. There are guys who can't do a lot of 29ers, too. Those taller top-tubes can be a real deal-breaker. I was reading around and surprised to see a lot of guys in the 5'6"-5'10" range with inseams the same as mine. I always thought I had a long torso, but not compared to some men, apparently.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    She's been riding on the backs of tandems for the past few weeks...while wearing a cast (she did a century on Sunday and plans another one on the 4th).

^^^ Damn!
  • zoom2
    Options
    She's been riding on the backs of tandems for the past few weeks...while wearing a cast (she did a century on Sunday and plans another one on the 4th).

^^^ Damn!

She's a special kind of crazy...the awesomest™ kind!
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    I bought a Specialized 29er before Iceman. Gets you over ground pretty fast but doesn't like technical stuff, but then neither do I :laugh:
    I'm tall though so I didn't have to worry about that part. I couldn't part with a lot of money either, but it suits my needs , has good hydraulic disc brakes and more gears than my first mountain bike.
  • zoom2
    Options
    So I'm sorta lusting over a Salsa El Mariachi 3, too. I discovered that they have pretty low standover, too...and seem to work for a lot of shorties. Our LBS carries them. Hmmm....
    2012elmar.jpg