Using Scooby..what is my activity level?

Options
Morgandobes
Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
Hi Yall!
Looking over scooby again and want to tailor my tdee/bmr, etc as closely as I can.
I dont formally exercise, but I do garden, clean the house, etc.

Plus at my job, I care for older people, clean house, assist them where I can.
The house cleaning isnt at a frenzied pace, but it is usually on and off cleaning(in between providing companionshiop)
anywhere from 2-4 hours at a time.
Here is my sample schedule for this week.

Yesterday 3 hours cleaning/companionship
Today - 1 hour in the yard, watering, weedeating, etc, too hot to work very hard/fast though.
Wednesday - 1 hour in the yard
Thursday - 3 hours cleaning/companionship
Friday - 6 hours cleaning/companionship
(cleaning includes vacuuming, dusting, dishes, picking up, maybe folding clothes, etc.."Light cleaning")
This is in addition to what I do at my house, basic cleaning stuff.

So, if you have gotten this far, where would you think I would fall at activitly level?
Tks,
Lisa

Replies

• bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    my guess would be light, maybe?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active also.
  • Morgandobes
    Options
    Ok, I was thinking of going with moderate which is 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise.
    Think that is too much?

Lisa
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    Ok, I was thinking of going with moderate which is 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise.
    Think that is too much?

Lisa

i think moderate exercise implies fairly intense cardio/weight lifting, where your heart rate is going to be quite elevated. I doubt you would be in that kind of range cleaning.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Do you sit during the day at your job or are you constantly on your feet? I would think that being on your feet all day picking up after people in addition to gardening, etc. would fall more in the moderate, but since I'm confused about me, I may be wrong.

Question: Does Scooby have formal definitions of their exercise levels? What does light vs. moderate mean in terms of its calculations? Is it about what types of exercise you do or is it more about length of time? I ask because I do bodyrock, which is somewhat high intensity, but short time, so I'm questioning my moderate selection.
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    Do you sit during the day at your job or are you constantly on your feet? I would think that being on your feet all day picking up after people in addition to gardening, etc. would fall more in the moderate, but since I'm confused about me, I may be wrong.

Question: Does Scooby have formal definitions of their exercise levels? What does light vs. moderate mean in terms of its calculations? Is it about what types of exercise you do or is it more about length of time? I ask because I do bodyrock, which is somewhat high intensity, but short time, so I'm questioning my moderate selection.

I assume he has borrowed them from here

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • Morgandobes
    Options
    I think moderate implies more cardio too, but I am figuring 14 hours a week doing this type of work which is way more than 1-3 hours
    which is where light would fall.

thats why I was going with moderate, not as intense, but more hours on my feet.

No, scooby doesnt have hard and fast definintions of what light/moderate/ etc is.
    Wish it was out there, I mean I could add it up in mfp, but since scooby doesnt really post their
    'calories burned' for each of the levels, I dont have anything to compare it with.

Sigh....
    Lisa
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    When you first start out, it's all trial and error anyway.

Pick a daily calorie allowance, stick to it for 2 weeks, then adjust up or down by 100 if you need to

These are guidelines after all, find what works for you.
  • Morgandobes
    Options
    Ok, soooo...sorry to beat this dead horse.
    If I took scoobys calculations at sedentary, then looked up in mfp an approximation of what kind of calories I would
    burn doing these things, should I come close to scooby's tdee do you think?

Course I would have to average it over 7 days..lol
    Talk about overthinking things!

Lisa
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    If you are going the TDEE route, ignore what MFP (or any other online calorie burning thing) says, they are unreliable at best and you don't need these figures anyway.

Like i said, pick a calorie allowance and then find your way from there, make things as simple as possible.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Considering you do this activity every day and it isn't out of your norm, I would go with light. This is a daily thing your body has become accustomed to. If you were also walking or something of that sort after work and increasing the heart rate more then I would move it to moderate. I'd stay with light, just to be on the safe side. Hope that helps!!
  • Morgandobes
    Options
    Ok, thats all for the input!

:flowerforyou:
    Lisa
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Considering you do this activity every day and it isn't out of your norm, I would go with light. This is a daily thing your body has become accustomed to. If you were also walking or something of that sort after work and increasing the heart rate more then I would move it to moderate. I'd stay with light, just to be on the safe side. Hope that helps!!

this is where my thinking was as well. but really YOU know best. Someone might never intentionally work out a day in their life, but is she is an EMT or something, she would be constantly moving, lifting, running, etc. so she certainly wouldnt be light.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    This may help

What is Physical Activity?
    Physical activity simply means movement of the body that uses energy. Walking, gardening, briskly pushing a baby stroller, climbing the stairs, playing soccer, or dancing the night away are all good examples of being active. For health benefits, physical activity should be moderate or vigorous intensity.

Moderate physical activities include:

Walking briskly (about 3 ½ miles per hour)
    Bicycling (less than 10 miles per hour)
    General gardening (raking, trimming shrubs)
    Dancing
    Golf (walking and carrying clubs)
    Water aerobics
    Canoeing
    Tennis (doubles)
    Vigorous physical activities include:

Running/jogging (5 miles per hour)
    Walking very fast (4 ½ miles per hour)
    Bicycling (more than 10 miles per hour)
    Heavy yard work, such as chopping wood
    Swimming (freestyle laps)
    Aerobics
    Basketball (competitive)
    Tennis (singles)
    You can choose moderate or vigorous intensity activities, or a mix of both each week. Activities can be considered vigorous, moderate, or light in intensity. This depends on the extent to which they make you breathe harder and your heart beat faster.

Only moderate and vigorous intensity activities count toward meeting your physical activity needs. With vigorous activities, you get similar health benefits in half the time it takes you with moderate ones. You can replace some or all of your moderate activity with vigorous activity. Although you are moving, light intensity activities do not increase your heart rate, so you should not count these towards meeting the physical activity recommendations. These activities include walking at a casual pace, such as while grocery shopping, and doing light household chores.

From ChooseMyPlate.gov http://www.choosemyplate.gov/physical-activity/what.html