Bacon??

Options
dyannajoy
dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
So bacon is okay to eat on paleo?? I was reading on Robb Wolf's website and he says this about eating paleo.

"The Basic Paleo Plan

Effective, lifelong fat loss is easy with Paleo foods. We recommend the majority of your meals look something like this:
■4-8 oz of lean protein such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, pork loin or seafood.
■Then add several servings of multicolored vegetables, either raw, steamed or lightly cooked.
■Finally, round out the meal with good fats from Avocado, olive oil or a handful of un-salted nuts such as almonds, pecans, macadamias or walnuts.

Make sure to have 3-4 meals like this each day. Give it 30 days and then let us know how quickly and easily it is to lose unwanted body fat, all without hunger and cravings. Until you reach your desired level of leanness we recommend you keep your fruit intake to 1-2 servings per day and make these choices mainly from berries and melons. Keep in mind, you will be eating plenty of nutritious fresh vegetables, we just want you to see the fastest, most effective results you can. This is why we limit your fruit in the beginning to help you change your metabolic engines to a mode of “fat burning”.

So is he wrong?? Let me know what I can find info about what you can and cannot eat. Of course bacon would be lovely.......but don't want to start off on the wrong foot if possible.........

Here is the link to the website I found this info on.

http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/meal-plans-shopping-guides/

Thanks!!

Replies

• 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Bacon is seen as being overly "processed" and does have a relatively high sodium contect (frowned upon by many purist Paleo fans). I personally have bacon twice a week for breakfast (usually a couple of hours before a cardio workout) and I do trim the fat. I've lost 3kg in 4 weeks by following "Paleo for Athletes" fundamentals and I'm happy with that rate of loss.

What do others think??
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    While I'm not adverse to occasionally getting a few strips if a recipe calls for it, for the most part I've sidestepped the entire issue by ordering pork bellies from my butcher (also known as side pork or fresh bacon). This is the part of the pig used to make bacon. I have them slice it, then I baggie it in usable portions and freeze it. When I cook it, I salt it to the desirable amount and when you fry it up, it basically tastes like bacon - but without the nitrates or additional processing. Tastes delish, too!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon a fair bit but buy nitrate free organic grass fed bacon.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon from time to time - I have found a no added sugar, nitrate free bacon from Gwaltny that I use. When I decide to get all fancy i will buy bacon from the farm stand but it is quite expensive - about $10/lb
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 to 4 strips of bacon everyday since 4 months. My waist size is dropping and my muscles grew even more than ever. What does that tells you? I don't have a blood or heart issues since I start eating bacons.

My breakfast is like this: 3 large eggs, 2 strips of bacon, and few vegetables. Of course I keep the bacon's grease in the pan with eggs and vegetables. Easy 500 calories out from it and it fills my stomach all day.

I have a local meat market that sell a local 5lbs bacon for $22ish. It saves me a lot of $$ than going to a supermarket to buy one. You could find a good deal through web search. There are many website explaining how to avoid nitrates. It comes all down to the way you cook the bacon.

You'll need some of sodium to run your body. Try not to be extreme with the bacon's ingredients. Some of local bacons are good enough for you, and yet they are far better than the supermaket's bacons.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Breakfast every day consists of 4 thick cut pieces of bacon, 3 scrambled eggs and a tall glass of H2O! Keeps me full and the weight keeps falling.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I eat bacon, but I get the kind without nitrates, nitrites or other preservative type things.
  • Jenbtech
    Jenbtech Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fresh, hormone free bacon every Saturday for breakfast! Sometimes breakfast for dinner during the week. Im not a Paleo purist as I like to enjoy non-paleo foods once in awhile. But 55 lbs later, I think I am making the right decisions.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon from time to time but prefer smoked salmon or some other kind of protein at breakfast in addition to eggs. Bacon to me is a fun food, so don't eat a lot but also not afraid of it. It's the processed nature of it that detracts from its merits.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon a fair bit but buy nitrate free organic grass fed bacon.

Just so you know, 'nitrate free' is anything but. It is a legal wording runaround that specifies that they haven't used sodium nitrate or nitrite. What they use instead is celery powder, which contains nitrates - but doesn't have to mention it since it naturally occurs. They then add a starter like lactic acid so that microbial action turns some of it into nitrites. So - 'nitrate-free' still contains both nitrates and nitrites. This type of bacon is also known as 'uncured' bacon, since the amount of nitrates/nitrites used is enough to give it that pink color, but not enough to keep it shelf-stable at room temperature. It has to be refrigerated.

If you want to avoid nitrates entirely, you need to buy pork belly/fresh bacon and salt it yourself while you cook it.

Also, 'grass fed' pork is a misnomer: pigs are omnivores and a grass-only diet can kill them (impacted intestines because they cannot move the grass through). More grass can usually be added to a pig's usual diet (which is what my rancher friend does), but they still have to have access to all sorts of other feed (grains, animal protein, nuts and other forage) to produce a healthy pig (and pork). The same goes with chickens. Both of them are inherently higher-omega6 meats because of this, and there isn't much to be done about it without negatively impacting their health. Eat more beef and seafood to keep omega3 levels high.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just to further clarify what Monkeydharma said, this NYT article from last year explains why "no nitrate" foods are identical in nitrate content from their conventional cousins:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/business/02hotdog.html

I think when someone (at least me) thinks of grass fed pigs, means they hopefully have time in the pasture and not stuck in a hog house for life. Pigs, like chickens, are meant to eat a varied diet. Earlier this week I was in the UK on a tour bus out to Bath. It was great to drive by the fields and see the pigs running amok in the muck ;) They were huge! The farmer I buy my cow share from has free range pigs.

When I first went Primal, I couldn't get enough of the bacon. I craved and satisfied that craving daily. With all good things, it can be overdone and now I eat it once a week tops.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So bacon is okay to eat on paleo?? I was reading on Robb Wolf's website and he says this about eating paleo.

"The Basic Paleo Plan

Effective, lifelong fat loss is easy with Paleo foods. We recommend the majority of your meals look something like this:
    ■4-8 oz of lean protein such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, pork loin or seafood.
    ■Then add several servings of multicolored vegetables, either raw, steamed or lightly cooked.
    ■Finally, round out the meal with good fats from Avocado, olive oil or a handful of un-salted nuts such as almonds, pecans, macadamias or walnuts.

Make sure to have 3-4 meals like this each day. Give it 30 days and then let us know how quickly and easily it is to lose unwanted body fat, all without hunger and cravings. Until you reach your desired level of leanness we recommend you keep your fruit intake to 1-2 servings per day and make these choices mainly from berries and melons. Keep in mind, you will be eating plenty of nutritious fresh vegetables, we just want you to see the fastest, most effective results you can. This is why we limit your fruit in the beginning to help you change your metabolic engines to a mode of “fat burning”.

So is he wrong?? Let me know what I can find info about what you can and cannot eat. Of course bacon would be lovely.......but don't want to start off on the wrong foot if possible.........

Here is the link to the website I found this info on.

http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/meal-plans-shopping-guides/

Thanks!!

Robb Wolf was originally opposed to bacon because of the whole nitrate/non-grassfed deal. Within the last year both he and Mat Lalonde have both come out to say that the research shows nitrates are most likely broken down in your stomach and are probably harmless. Just an FYI, Mat Lalonde eats like either 1 lb of sausage or a 1 lb of bacon (either grassfed, of course) every Sunday along with 4 duck eggs and is completely ripped and healthy

If you can find a good source of grassfed bacon, either beef or pork, I say go for it! YOu can also buy your own pork belly and cure the bacon yourself.