Protein shakes and nutrition

Options
TeslaJoule
TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
For those ladies that have already started,

Do you prescribe to the post-workout protein shake? Also, how much of the nutrition portion of the NR do you follow? I just started all of this, and I was just wondering what other people did. I've been enjoying upping my protein and cals and the protein shake on workout days, but I do have trouble sticking to a nutrition plan (which honestly is probably why I can't lose those last 10), and I'm just wondering what other people have done with this portion of the NR. Constructive opinions and suggestions welcome. :)

Replies

• loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have tried to adhere to the nutritional ratio of 40/30/30. But it usually ends up more like 45/30/25. Because of when I workout I don't always do a protein shake afterwards, but I recently met with a trainer and he highly recommended it as well. So I'll be trying to figure out how to work that in.
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    I always do a protein shake after a workout...always! For two reasons: 1) because when I didn't, last Summer, I realized I was not feeding my muscles and I believe that's the reason I didn't see the results I was expecting. 2) because I have heard it recommended, like you, on many, many fronts. I think it's a great way to feed the muscles without eating some nutrient lacking food.

I have heard that the big thing now is just drinking some chocolate milk...that is has enough fat/protein to meet the needs post workout...saves on expensive shakes (but I really enjoy the shake, so that's what I'm doing :))!
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't stick to a nutrition plan, and in fact had to change the book's recommended macros to suit my diet. I don't tend to get a huge amount of fat in my diet (unless it's an ice cream day!) because I cook 99% of our meals from scratch, so the 40/30/30 doesn't really work for me, as I would always have fat calories left at the end of the day (and the idea of eating a couple of tbsp of butter just to get fat...well...).

I also find I feel best when I have lots of protein in my system, so I aim to get a minimum of 120g per day, but ideally try to get 1g per pound of body weight (159 currently). So based on that logic, I changed my macros to 45/20/35, which seems to work pretty well for me. I always eat back my lifting calories, but usually only about half of my cardio calories, as I'm trying to lose a few more pounds.

So to answer your question, I do use protein powder religiously - one first thing in the morning with my breakfast and one just after I lift (I don't like all that liquid sloshing in my tummy if I have to bend over to pick up weights). I sometimes also have one on a just-cardio day if I have tons of calories and want a yummy treat. Also, it's good on the go if I'm scrambling to get out of the house or simply need a protein boost for the day.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    When I lift in the morning, I always have a protein shake afterward. When I lift at lunch, I just eat my lunch afterward and make sure I have lots of protein in that meal. I try to follow the 40/30/30 as close as I can, but I don't use the actual daily meal recommendations that he has in the book. I find the less carbs I have, the easier it is for me to lose weight but sometimes it's hard to get under 40 carbs.

Joanne - have you tried just adding higher fat foods - using olive oil to cook with, avocado, full fat foods instead of light or fat free?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I can't stick to a nutrition plan, and in fact had to change the book's recommended macros to suit my diet. I don't tend to get a huge amount of fat in my diet (unless it's an ice cream day!) because I cook 99% of our meals from scratch, so the 40/30/30 doesn't really work for me, as I would always have fat calories left at the end of the day (and the idea of eating a couple of tbsp of butter just to get fat...well...).

I also find I feel best when I have lots of protein in my system, so I aim to get a minimum of 120g per day, but ideally try to get 1g per pound of body weight (159 currently). So based on that logic, I changed my macros to 45/20/35, which seems to work pretty well for me. I always eat back my lifting calories, but usually only about half of my cardio calories, as I'm trying to lose a few more pounds.

So to answer your question, I do use protein powder religiously - one first thing in the morning with my breakfast and one just after I lift (I don't like all that liquid sloshing in my tummy if I have to bend over to pick up weights). I sometimes also have one on a just-cardio day if I have tons of calories and want a yummy treat. Also, it's good on the go if I'm scrambling to get out of the house or simply need a protein boost for the day.

Me too, though I have only just started the protein shake every morning. I really like Syntrax Nectar - it has 20 gms of protein and is low-carb. I've been religious about having one after I lift, because everywhere I read, and everyone I speak with says this is essential to helping the muscle rebuild after lifting. But I also eat low-carb, so like Joanne, I try to get 1 gm per body weight pound.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow the book's nutrition plan but instead I use MFP as it's intended to be used, which comes close to the book's plan any way. It's so much easier to let MFP do all the calculations and tracking. No manual work required.

I changed my macro percentages to 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat. I do drink a protein shake after lifting. I need it to meet the miniumum goal of 30% protein.

Since you have 10 lbs. to lose, your weight loss goal (in Settings) should be to lose 1.0 lb. per week. When you're 5 lbs. away from your goal, decrease the setting to lose 0.5 lbs. per week.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Joanne - have you tried just adding higher fat foods - using olive oil to cook with, avocado, full fat foods instead of light or fat free?

Actually, I'd say I don't restrict myself at all. I hate the taste of low fat alternatives so I always go with full fat, and use plenty of butter and olive oil in my cooking. As for avocados...love them. But they're super-expensive in Canada, so I usually only enjoy them once or twice a week.

I do think it's more related to my cooking. Often, recipes will suggest 2 tbsp of olive oil to sautee vegetables. I start with one and add extra if necessary (and yes, do measure everything). But I find that most recipes call for waaaay too much oil. I don't like my food to taste oily. I barbeque my chicken, fish, and beef, and make my own marinades from scratch. And nothing in my house comes out of a box or can unless it's just a simple food like corn or tomatoes. I even cook my own beans, as I don't like the sodium that they're canned with. If I eat out, or eat any kind of convenience food, I do go higher on fat. But my practice is to cook with whole foods, so I control the amount of fat. For instance, yesterday for dinner, we had a feast of Pickerel (Walleye, a white freshwater fish caught locally). I cooked it in butter, but used only 4 tbsp for 2.5 lb of fish, which was split among 4 adults. The side was a beautiful couscous salad with fresh lemon, tomato, cukes, and peppers - only 1 tbsp of olive oil for the whole bowl. Any more, and dinner would have tasted fried. Am I wrong?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Totally do the post-workout shake. My lifting partner and I stagger into the kitchen after lifting (home gym) and mix one up each with water, chug it, and start cooking dinner.

I use their macros and calorie calculations, but I wouldn't say I follow their nutrition plan. I eat well enough but I'm usually low in protein at the end of the day. Nice thing about MFP is you can set your nutrition goals manually, so that makes it easy. I just look at my numbers in the afternoon and try to adjust what's low.
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!!! I'll continue with the shake and change my macros in MFP. So excited. I really think this is going to work for me! :) THANKS!
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow the book's nutrition plan but instead I use MFP as it's intended to be used, which comes close to the book's plan any way. It's so much easier to let MFP do all the calculations and tracking. No manual work required.

I changed my macro percentages to 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat. I do drink a protein shake after lifting. I need it to meet the miniumum goal of 30% protein.

Since you have 10 lbs. to lose, your weight loss goal (in Settings) should be to lose 1.0 lb. per week. When you're 5 lbs. away from your goal, decrease the setting to lose 0.5 lbs. per week.

The book recommendations and MFP's food recommendations end up drastically different for me, and I've opted to go with the book. How much different? The difference between 1440 calories (admittedly net) and 2050 calories on non-lifting days. Considering I'm not exercising 600 calories on non-workout days, it's a different way to do it. I actually want to lose weight, but I'm following what the book says because it's put together as a whole system. If it doesn't seem to be working, I'll take off the recommended 300 calories, which will still put me at higher than MFP has for me to lose 1lb per week.