New to the group, HI everyone!

Options
Hi all! I am new to this group, and don't have many friends yet but hoping that changes. I love being outside, camping, hiking, biking, kayaking. I need to do more of it obviously :) I have the summer off since I am a teacher and I am trying to get out and exercise as much as possible, even in the crazy heat.

I have a dream of seeing as many national parks as I can possibly get to. A few months ago I had an awesome time in Yosemite, Sequoia, San Fran area. We did hiking and camping, but I still haven't gone on a true backpacking adventure. I now have the gear, and just need some help making it happen. I guess I am a little timid leaving the relative safety of a campground, but I yearn for the freedom. Any advice for a new backpacker?

Replies

• jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Welcome to the group natwen.

I bet Yosemite was awesome. One day I hope to get out west and do some hiking.

Advice for newbies?
    Just get out there. It's what I did.
    Maybe hook up with a meetup group?
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Meetup group recommendation. I've been active with hiking and paddling Meetup groups for almost 4 years. I've met lots of great people and honed my outdoor skills considerably in that time. Just do it. You'll have a blast!

Tom

PS. Friend request send
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Advice?
    Hike within your abilities and desires. You probably don't need to carry much with you. I tend to carry too much.

Sometimes people give advice about trails that is wayyyyy off and you find yourself climbing when you only meant to go scrambling. Wildcat in New Hampshire is CRAZY, but it was recommended to us like it was nothing.

We love New Hamphsire's White Mountains. Mount Washington is wonderful.
    Acadia in Maine is great, its the only mountain hiking on the East Coast that is actually on the water.
    We just did the Labyrynth at Mohonk in New Paltz, New York and it was great. We didn't think we could do it, but we did.
  • Steph1576
    Steph1576 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new, don't have many friends and like hiking too! We have a lot in common;)
    I'm relatively new to backpacking as well. I've done lots of backcountry/pioneer camping but normally within a mile of the car. My husband and I are planning on a 2 night backpacking trip this fall. I'm in Ga and it's been too hot to do anything lately.
    Good luck with your weight loss goals & outdoor adventures!
    Steph