Ladies - IUD causing gain?

Options
swingkid1975
swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
I just posted about the plateau I've hit and how I'm trending upwards even though nothing has changed in how I'm doing EM2WL. I've lost 9 lbs since starting in March, but in June plateau'd and am now gaining. I never did a reset since I never did VLCD. The suggestion was to take a reset week, which I planned to do next week while on vacation.

Then I got to thinking. Coincidentally (or not?) I had the Mirena IUD installed the beginning of June, which is when things started to go downhill. Does anyone else have the Mirena, and did it cause weight gain? If this could be the culprit, and is there anything short of having it removed I can do to counteract the effect?

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just posted about the plateau I've hit and how I'm trending upwards even though nothing has changed in how I'm doing EM2WL. I've lost 9 lbs since starting in March, but in June plateau'd and am now gaining. I never did a reset since I never did VLCD. The suggestion was to take a reset week, which I planned to do next week while on vacation.

Then I got to thinking. Coincidentally (or not?) I had the Mirena IUD installed the beginning of June, which is when things started to go downhill. Does anyone else have the Mirena, and did it cause weight gain? If this could be the culprit, and is there anything short of having it removed I can do to counteract the effect?
    Even though the Mirena does not work systemically-you never really know how much of the hormones really are released in your system. It sure could be that this is the problem.
    I would take a week at TDEE and then go back to your cut and see if you are losing again
  • swingkid1975
    Options
    Bump. Anyone else?
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your prescriber or pharmacist? This would be better answered by a medical professional.
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had my IUD removed in Feb. after 3 years of having it. I tried like crazy that whole time to lose weight and NEVER went below what I was when I got it in. The first week I had it out, I lost 5 pounds!!!! My mood swings were ridiculous on it, and though I've been on wellbutrin for anxiety/depression for years, I felt out of control. I didn't realize a lot of this until I researched it and realized a lot of other women experienced the same issues as me. Google it and see what you find, I was shocked! My mom is an OBGYN and had never heard of the problems I had and others were/are experiencing. Most of it doesn't make sense to the medical people, but when countless people described my symptoms to a "T", I didn't question it. She looked at the data and agreed with my decision to remove it immediately! I don't know that it would make you gain, but if it's the only thing you changed in June, I wouldn't disagree that it could be a major factor! Good luck in deciding. That's a lot of money to throw away, but I understand your concern.
  • Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should discuss it with your prescriber. When it comes to hormones I believe that some people just react different to others. I have had the Mirena for more than four years and never experienced a problem or noticed that it was the reason for my weight gain (bad eating habits and an inactive lifestyle were the more likely culprits!) but that doesn't mean it won't be the cause of your problem.
  • swingkid1975
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm still going to do my reset week next week and see how things go after that for a few weeks, but if things don't turn back around I'll call my doctor. I was just wondering if anyone else with an IUD had either gained weight or couldn't lose it, which they thought was due to the IUD.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've been unable to lose any weight over the past 6 months and blame it entirely on the Depo injection - same hormone as the Mirena. It is known to cause weight gain in some women.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Depo can cause SEVERE weight gain in some women in spite of the literature and clinicians insisting otherwise, it DOES. I had the Mirena and gained and gained on it while my eating habits hadn't changed whatsoever. I was told again and again the Mirena could not *possibly* be the cause as the hormones are not circulated systemically. I had mine removed after six months and the weight gain stopped but it was nearly impossible to lose the weight I'd gained. It took years until things sorted themselves out. Interestingly, my sister experienced the exact same thing with Mirena. Google it, you'll see it's actually quite a common complaint with these forms of BC. I think some people are just extraordinary sensitive to hormones, I know I am. :P
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your prescriber or pharmacist? This would be better answered by a medical professional.

Believe me when I tell you they will insist it's all in your head and that you must be doing something wrong with your eating/exercising habits because there is no possible way Mirena can cause systemic effects as the hormones are (theoretically) only active locally.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to get medical information on medication and information from professionals who have been to school for years. Particularly pharmacists, they have so much knowledge regarding drugs and prescription medications. A Mirena IUD is a prescribed medical device, so if a doctor does not know or a pharmacist does not know the side effects, I am sure I am not going to take advice from people on a board with all due respect. Everyone does react differently to medication so what happened to you does not mean it will happen to everyone.

And yes, eating and exercise does affect weight loss and gains. Not saying it was the culprit in your situation but it is in many many instances. Sorry but we are all looking for something to blame for weight gain. Coincidence, maybe but it could be water retention from too much salt, a bad "diet" day or lack of exercise just as easily.

Not all of us insist everything is in your head by the way. If your doctor does, it might be time to look for one who listens. There are many who do.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'm not a med prof, but had personal experience with the depo shot...my weight climbed the entire time it was in my system. I refused to take it again.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    this happened when I was on depo as well. I hated it. My doctor suggested Mirena for me, I decided to go with the Paragaurd IUD. lasts longer and hormone free!
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena IUD at the beginning of June as well (the 5th) and I have not had any problems at all with weight or anything else. I was previously on ortho birth control pills and then Nuva Ring. Those two have both estrogen and progesterone hormones while Mirena only has progesterone, so I believe this is why my body has accepted Mirena so well. Progesterone is also known to be an appetite enhancer so it may cause you to feel more hungry than usual. Are you being completely honest about what you're eating?

Hopefully Mirena works out for you, but always consult with your doctor!
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena IUD for five years (removed in March this year). I lost a lot of weight after the birth of my third child (and the IUD insertion) and then gained weight again. Last year I lost 20kg (IUD still in place). I certainly don't link my weight to the IUD. I was simply living a fat lifestyle! Now I'm living a thinner lifestyle, I'm getting thinner. That said, that has just been my experience. The Mirena is a low dose hormone (suitable for breastfeeding) so it shouldn't have too great an impact (expect where it is needed!! LOL!)