Anyone else struggled??

Options
nichojanes
nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
Hi,
I started doing the C25k program in January and have been really struggling to make progress.

My problem is that my legs have caused me a lot of problems as my hamstrings have been very tight. I find that I need a lot more recovery time between the runs.
I am currently up to week 6 but this has taken a crazy amount of time. (I have also been hampered by the british weather)

I was just wondering if anyone else has struggled similarly, or if there are any tips that you can give me to help.

I stretch before and after every run but sometimes can only manage one run a week.

Replies

• _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    One hamstring that is slight problem, I rub some IcyHot on it right before my run and I do a lot better.
    Does the tightness go away when you run?
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's not too bad when I actually run, but the following few days can be agony.
  • sarahjenkins77
    sarahjenkins77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i had to repeat a few weeks and sometimes needed extra rest days because this was a massive shock to my body.. as long as you complete it i wouldnt worry about how many weeks it takes.

Also, dont let the UK weather hold you back, I realised that I will have to run in the cold/rain because thats all we've had for months... now i actually prefer it and dread those rare hot days...

Good luck with the rest of c25k
  • lolarit
    lolarit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a foam roller? I found the foam roller relieved a lot of the pain I felt in my calves (pain that I felt both while running and afterwards) and has helped greatly with recovering from a pulled calf muscle. I broke a leg a couple years ago and that calf muscle is still playing catch-up. I was hesitant to buy one but it ended up being a great investment.

Don't get down on your progress. Stick with what works best for you and be proud of how far you've come! I'm still working on W6 and when I get frustrated I think back to W1D1 when running for 30 seconds was almost impossible. Stick with it and you'll do great :)
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Have you tried adding in additional stretching sessions? I'd be trying for at least 4 (an hour or more apart) after your runs if you are having that much trouble with tightness?

Also, how is the quality of your stretching routine? Someone suggested http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml for a stretching routine and I'll have to admit that it is much more than I was doing before I checked out this site. I have not had horrible pain during C25K but have found that by pushing through, the pain that I have had has diminished. I have also had occasional knee pain during my run and find that it alleviates itself within a minute or two if I keep running. I've been rather cautious due to knee problems and prior surgery but I will have to admit....my knees are tolerating this well and seem to be in better shape than ever!

Good luck to you! Keep it up!!!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to stretch more. And don't just stretch after your runs - stretch EVERY day.