Praying won't make you lose weight.

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
I've seen a lot of religious groups on here, and even in real life have heard others talking about praying to lose weight, and waiting for god to help. And it is ridiculous! Praying will not lose the weight for you! You have to lose the weight by doing work, by trying, not by praying!!!

Sorry, had to get that out.

*rant over*

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    But it's such a great defense mechanism!

If they "try" to lose weight and fail, it can be someone else's fault. Either it's part of God's plan for them to be fat, or they think that it will just take more praying. If they succeed by following the scientific rules for losing weight, they can thank God for their success and not the thousands of scientists, doctors, and fitness experts who actually identified the methods. Of course God wants them to lose weight and be happy, just like God wants their favorite football team to win, or their pie to win the blue ribbon at the fair.

I think what they are confusing with "prayer" is focus, determination, and dedication. If you concentrate on what you want, and find a way to make that thing clear to yourself... you are so much more likely to succeed. It would be nice if people would stop calling it prayer and start calling it "giving a damn" because that's all it is.

I'm 100% with you on this rant.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you posted this, because I came LOOKING for this group after seeing 3-4 "Christian weight loss groups" on here in the 20 biggest groups.

It boggles my mind over and over the way people use "faith" and "prayer" as a crutch.

Too bad they're sucking all those prayers for them to lose weight... if only "God" would help all those starving gain some ;)
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Too bad they're sucking all those prayers for them to lose weight... if only "God" would help all those starving gain some ;)

Tru dat! Probably wants them to starve because they're Muslims or heathens!
  • itsybitsybutterfly
    Options
    I myself am happy to see when people aren't afraid to speak the truth to the religious blindly following their faith.
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    In a way I can understand prayer, that in and of itself might give someone focus. what really irks me, though, is if said person ultimately attributes any success to god. i mean, even if you pray, god isn't really their. God did NOTHING! If you have success, take the credit! lolz

Conversely, what if you pray for health and fitness believing that a god is really listening, and then you don't succeed... does that mean god didn't care for you to be healthy? That's what really doesn't make sense about prayer, the fact that you might not follow through with your diet and then would you blame god for your failure? Oh no, they never do that! in that case it would be something along the lines of "original sin" or some such scapegoat.

Yeah, religion and belief in an intervening god really irks me. i'm so glad for this group though. it's a relief to find like-minded individuals who don't fall for all that hookum! ^o^