Fat!

Options
FitFi74
FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
Been low carbing for about 4 days and I've found my fat percentage is much higher - I'm assuming this is normal? Do others in a similar position change their fat allowance accordingly on the MFP data - if that makes sense? Don't like seeing myself in the red!!

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm 10, 40, 50 carb , protein, fat
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am 15/30/55 for Carbs/Protein/Fat. :) So higher fat is normal... but I think there are some low-carb diets that push the protein. I try to stick with a high fat, low carb diet.
  • FitFi74
    Options
    Thanks - my carbs aren't really low - but considering how many I usually eat I'm finding it quite different. Thanks for replies!
  • JCWANNABE
    JCWANNABE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me personally I find that my weight loss is the best when I have a high fat diet with 20 or less carbs a day. You can reset your MFP to different goals for your nutrition. I keep mine at a 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. Fat is really not bad for you like so many believe. New studies have even shown better heart health results in low carb high fat diets than in high carb low fat diets.

Don't be afraid of fat!

It is sooooo your weight loss friend!
  • FitFi74
    Options
    Thanks - guess it's just getting used to such a change - I'm starting with: Carbohydrates 25 Protein 35 Fat 45
    Will see how I get on!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    For me personally I find that my weight loss is the best when I have a high fat diet with 20 or less carbs a day. You can reset your MFP to different goals for your nutrition. I keep mine at a 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. Fat is really not bad for you like so many believe. New studies have even shown better heart health results in low carb high fat diets than in high carb low fat diets.

Don't be afraid of fat!

It is sooooo your weight loss friend!

Aye, good fats :)

The fat consumption/heart disease thing has been thoroughly debunked as has the 'high cholesterol consumption will kill you' thing.

The 'lipid hypothesis' was based on bad science and backed up with fudged study results. It is what got us into this 'fat phobic' state and ultimately is what is driving obesity.

The vast majority of people overweight are not being gluttons or lazy, they have been victims of bad nutrional advice.

Most people REALLY want to lose weight so will follow guidelines and exercise, and still they can't lose it. There is a reason for this, the guidelines are wrong. The food pyramid is a crock of poltically motivated ****.

If you make fat the enemy then the calories have to go somewhere, and they went to carbohydrate because the body can only process so much protein.

Big mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you should read the atkins book. it explains why you need fats.
  • porkrind
    porkrind Posts: 2
    Options
    According to Gary Taubes in "Why We Get Fat" you are supposed to eat a higher fat content, otherwise the high protein content in your diet can become toxic. So, don't worry. You should be fine. And I highly recommend reading that book. I couldn't believe all of the interesting stuff in there. Not only that, but every time I read I good food science book it keeps me on track to a balanced, healthy diet.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Today my calories are about 60% fat (so says my mobile app) and it's from olive oil and meat fat (pork fat in my sausage and bacon fat on my asparagus) edit: oh and from macadamia nuts. It's tasty and not at all scary. Low fat, high carb diets obviously don't work... We're all fatter than before. The complete opposite DOES work
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    There's only 3 macronutrients, so if you are lowering one the other two have to go up. Mmm, fat!
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    According to Gary Taubes in "Why We Get Fat" you are supposed to eat a higher fat content, otherwise the high protein content in your diet can become toxic. So, don't worry. You should be fine. And I highly recommend reading that book. I couldn't believe all of the interesting stuff in there. Not only that, but every time I read I good food science book it keeps me on track to a balanced, healthy diet.

I highly recommend this book also :) However I wouldnt bother with the 500+ pages of Good Calories/Bad calories unless you are into some serious reading (LOL)

My fat is usually 65-70% of my diet... I have gone upwards of 80. Like Sweetx said I eat almost the same exact way she does and its the only way I have been able to lose weight :) Once I found out carbs made me fat it was on!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    65% Fat, 10% Carb for me today.

The carbs are actually a bit low today as I like to get more leafy veg in. 15% would be better.

Contributors of this fattastic statistic:
    - Eggs
    - Cheese
    - Bacon (a highly approximate fat content, who knows if my 'Generic' MFP product is close, doesn't matter)
    - Cooking my scrambled egg extravanganza in 100% Animal Fat
    - Light Sour Cream in my chip-free 'nacho' mix (my only 'Light' product, I just prefer the taste)
    - The beef mince used in my 'nacho' mix

I am comfortably full :)

If look back to my first couple of 'less fat, watch the calories' months on MFP it looks like two different people have been logging. I feel like a different person too.

Embrace the fat.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I highly recommend this book also :) However I wouldnt bother with the 500+ pages of Good Calories/Bad calories unless you are into some serious reading (LOL)

My fat is usually 65-70% of my diet... I have gone upwards of 80. Like Sweetx said I eat almost the same exact way she does and its the only way I have been able to lose weight :) Once I found out carbs made me fat it was on!

Good Calories Bad Calories was the first nutrition book I read ... but I am a nerd :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The 'lipid hypothesis' was based on bad science and backed up with fudged study results. It is what got us into this 'fat phobic' state and ultimately is what is driving obesity.

Calling it 'bad science' and 'fudged study results' is even an exaggeration, lol. More like a gross misinterpretation of an observational study (i.e., not a scientific study) that was cherry-picked for data to support personal beliefs not supported by science!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My ribeye steak has fat all through it. And I eat it, too! Nom nom! I always loved fat on meat and chicken when I was a kid and until I started low carb, I always felt guilty about eating it as an adult.

The only worry I have is, I can't afford organic, and a lot of chemicals get stored in fat. So I really ought to buy organic when and if I ever can.