exercise

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
So yesterday I was told that my exercise could be hendering my weight loss. What do you think? I am walking 3-5 miles 3 or 4 times a week and a zumba class once a week. No weights yet although I really want to start. Admittedly my weight loss has slowed down considerably. I am 4 months post op and only lost 10 lbs this past month. I know slow is good and I know the exercise will be better for me in the long run, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Replies

• acrealizm
    acrealizm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    10lbs in a month is still fantastic! The longer you are out from surgery, the slower the weight loss can be. Monitor your daily sodium intake. 2500mg is the standard, but you really want it lower than that....1500 mg perhaps. I struggle with keeping my sodium low (thanks to packaged food/ingredients). But when I do keep it low I notice the weight seems to come off more quickly than when my daily intake is 2500mg or above. If you haven't already done so, increase the intensity of your workouts and see if that helps. Good luck!
  • J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree, 10 lbs in a month is excellent! Exercising may possibly be slowing down your scale numbers...but it is never going to be something negative in terms of weight loss. You will lose inches, boost heart health, gain muscle, etc. All of which are positive things! You've already lost a lot of weight and you are still losing, so you're successful in that department, just be patient, your body will eventually catch up with itself. Walking and Zumba are great for you, I wouldn't stop. Good luck!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think you need to increase the intensity of your exercise. Walking is good for your heart but does little for weight loss. Muscle increases your metabolism. I say get some hand weights and start strength training. 10 pounds in a month is what my surgeon expects from his patients. Weight loss slows down the further out you get.