Counting Calories - Dining Hall / College

Options
BecomingElle
BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
Sorry if there is a thread already on this but I couldn't seem to find it! :)

I'm moving into college in a week (eek!) and ALL our meals are provided in the dining hall. Three times a day. The meals are buffet style, and are normally healthy. Whatever is on offer, there is always some fruit, salad, fresh vegetables, rice etc. available to go with it.

However, if I'm always eating in the dining hall, how can I possibly measure, weigh, or count? How am I going to know how many grams that apple or salad is, or the ingredients that went into that soup, or the weight of a slice of wholewheat pizza? What brand is that piece of bread or caramel slice? How am I going to know if that's half a cup of rice, or one?

Any tips, advice or suggestions on successfully counting calories in such a situation? Thanks

Replies

• BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No one? :)
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Howdy, congrats on going to Uni!

See if your uni has any nutritional info on their dining hall options. Google something like "XYZ Uni Dining Hall Nutritional Info," or similar. Also, see if your uni has a nutritional center that can help you discover the nutritional content of your dining options.

Here are some websites you can examine that may be of interest to you.

http://suite101.com/article/college-dining-hall-health-tips-a40302
    http://map.ais.ucla.edu/go/1000529 and http://menu.ha.ucla.edu/foodpro/quick-service-menus.asp
    http://www.bu.edu/sargentchoice/
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a search engine will help you get there...For example, here's the page I use when I'm eating on campus (since my university uses AVI):

AVI Food Service: http://slc.avifoodweb.com/Nutrisource/www.avifresh.com/nutrisource/nutridata.html

My undergraduate degree was from a school that used Aramark. MFP has some Aramark dishes in the database already!

Learn the visual size of portions now before you go, because little scales will not be on hand. Don't feel like you need to try everything...and, as mean as this sounds...don't eat with people who eat a lot. I gained a lot of weight when my group of friends changed because I no longer felt guilty about getting seconds + dessert.

Not everyone gains weight when they go to college...my sister began going to the gym every day, and she lost weight her freshman year. You can do it!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've learned to guesstimate. What does a cup of my own salad look like on a plate? Okay, I'll put what looks like that much on my plate in this place without a measuring cup.

I was fortunate in that our dining hall provided nutritional information with all the buffet foods (you were on your own for sandwiches/salads/fruits, but those are easier to count since you know exactly what gets included).

Good luck :)
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ya, figure out what provider your school uses, some stuff may already be in the database. My school uses sodexo, and there is already a lot of food listed, so I can find meals. Some of it you may just have to do your best guess, like you would at an off brand restaurant. Best of luck in college!
  • parisiantwyst
    Options
    When you put things onto your plate, think about a serving size. Obviously, guesstimating plays into this big time, but if you choose foods that are going to be fairly good for you anyway, its possible to get your hand son some of those choices before you go, just so you can see what it looks like.
    Also- if your dining hall has colored plates, stick with a blue or green plate. Yellow and red plates make you crave more food- something about color triggers.
    Other than that- don't feel pressured to finish everything on your tray. If you don't like something, or you know if has extra bbq/ranch/sugary sauce on it, eat as much as you crave, but no more.
    I've been eating at a dining hall all summer, and so far, I've still been able to lose 16lbs in 40 days.
  • EstherE123
    EstherE123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You'll really just need to visualize what a serving size looks like, also guesstimating. Some people tell you that when you guesstimate, it is usually under what the actual size is on the plate, so taking the stairs a lot and walking when ever possible helps to make up for under estimating calories. Some colleges use a larger food service company that is in charge of everything, so it would probably have nutritional info on their website. Some colleges also post menus and nutritional information for the week online. Mine is through a food service company and they posted the menu online for the first couple of months then quit, but there was also a food database where you could search the name of the food and it would come up with the info from that company. A lot of colleges and and some buffet restaurants also post nutritional info above the food in the buffet line.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    this is good thread for the incoming frosh this year.
    bump :)
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Saving for later :)
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My school serves Chartwells but they don't have a nutritional info for my school yet other schools that have it even have a meal plan option to arrange food for the day online according to the menu, its annoying for me.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to work in one of my college's dining halls. They use Aramark. Aramark is pretty good with giving out nutrition facts or at least trying to.

You could also try putting everything in a bowl. That makes it easier for me to visually measure.

I find it very difficult to control myself in dining halls. So I normally bring my own food or eat in a place that isn't all you can eat. It's easier for me to do that since I live off campus.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    apparently MPF has chartwells info...it's going to be more of a guideline because everything is made to order, but it will certainly help!
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    see if your university has to-go containers.. i'd get my food from the hall, take it back to my dorm, eat the correct portions and put the extra in tubberware for late-night snacks or friends who came over. i understand being social, but i'm not really fond of eating with others. plus, i've always had a weird schedule of classes so i was eating breakfast at 6AM, lunch around 2PM or 3 PM, and dinner at 5PM or 7PM.

also, I recommend getting more familiar with portion sizes (like how a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards, et cetera) and just filling your plate up with lots of veggies. avoid the pizza and a lot of their specialty hot meals, since those don't tend to be very diet-friendly. skip the sodas and stick to water/tea. request egg whites in the morning omelet line and, once again, add a bunch of veggies to your omelet so it's extra filling. choose whole wheat bread/rolls, rather than white. pasta is alright, but be careful with portions - i prefer rice to pasta, though. skip the sweets and have fruit and/or non-fat yogurt for dessert. also, sushi = awesome (especially cucumber/california rolls)

in addition - stock up on instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, kashi granola bars, truvia, green tea, instant coffee, healthy pop single-serve popcorn, otter pops (20 cals each, plus they're cheap and perfect to offer friends who come over), single-serving whole wheat crackers, and dark chocolate :wink: (for "those" days)
    and, of course, get a really nice water bottle.
    (water is something many of us college students neglect to guzzle down often)
  • ArolinaCay
    ArolinaCay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good and helpful post!