Help with Activity Level

Good Morning :)

I think I get how this works and I do believe in it, but I would like a little help if possible.

I'm using Scooby to determin how many calories I should eat etc. I really am struggling to decide what activity level I am at.

I'm not working as I'm a carer for my husband. I spend a large amount of time doing housework, washing, fetching and carrying, cooking etc. etc. Plus I try and get out for a walk most days - perhaps burn off about 150 cals doing this. I do also sit for a good few hours during the day also (on some days).

I have been choosing the option of "no exercise" then adding in what my pedometer says I have burnt off doing the walking, but this doesn't account for the other bits.

What level of activity do other Mums/Carers choose?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Replies

• Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    I was not sure how much activitiy I was doing so what I did was use this site which allows you to estimate your daily expenditure including all cleaning, sitting etc. I then checked what it told me against the Scooby site at various activity levels - I was surprised to come out moderate even though I have a desk job and only exercise 3 times a week. But add in all the housework and running round after 2 small kids and it all adds up.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • Thanks ever so much for that. So far its working out a lot, but I might log it for a few days for a more accurate number!

I really appreciate it, thanks.
  • Tenar13
    I am 5ft 4, 134lbs and 36 and set to moderate which gives me

BMR 1303
    TDEE 2012
    15% 1717

This seemed alot for me but I have lost 3lbs eating this vs the plateau when I was eating 1300-1400 a day previously. I have also been able to meet my macros which I had failed to do before.
  • Thank you, its a bit of a minefield all these figures!

Thank you for your response :)
  • This may help. It's from ChooseMyPlate.gov

What is Physical Activity?
    Physical activity simply means movement of the body that uses energy. Walking, gardening, briskly pushing a baby stroller, climbing the stairs, playing soccer, or dancing the night away are all good examples of being active. For health benefits, physical activity should be moderate or vigorous intensity.

Moderate physical activities include:

Walking briskly (about 3 ½ miles per hour)
    Bicycling (less than 10 miles per hour)
    General gardening (raking, trimming shrubs)
    Dancing
    Golf (walking and carrying clubs)
    Water aerobics
    Canoeing
    Tennis (doubles)
    Vigorous physical activities include:

Running/jogging (5 miles per hour)
    Walking very fast (4 ½ miles per hour)
    Bicycling (more than 10 miles per hour)
    Heavy yard work, such as chopping wood
    Swimming (freestyle laps)
    Aerobics
    Basketball (competitive)
    Tennis (singles)
    You can choose moderate or vigorous intensity activities, or a mix of both each week. Activities can be considered vigorous, moderate, or light in intensity. This depends on the extent to which they make you breathe harder and your heart beat faster.

Only moderate and vigorous intensity activities count toward meeting your physical activity needs. With vigorous activities, you get similar health benefits in half the time it takes you with moderate ones. You can replace some or all of your moderate activity with vigorous activity. Although you are moving, light intensity activities do not increase your heart rate, so you should not count these towards meeting the physical activity recommendations. These activities include walking at a casual pace, such as while grocery shopping, and doing light household chores.
  • Thanks Nutritionwhiz, I appreciate the information.

I only do Moderate physical activities for a short while each day. I know I should do more, but walking is free! Plus I do have an arthritis problem which means I cannot always do something each day if its bad.

So assuming that my physical activity is less than moderate on a daily basis I should choose light exercise.

I'm 39 years old, I weigh 73.2kg and am 68" tall. Scooby says that my BMR is 1485, TDEE is 2042 and to loose weight I should be 1633 cals a day. Would you say this is about right? If I do this, then I don't have to add any extra exercise calories in, right?

It can get so confusing!

Thanks again for all the help!
  • Tenar13
    That sounds about right though I would check using the calculator as even light activity does burn more calories than sitting around all day like I do. Once you have your activity level and your TDEE and BMR.

Use the TDEE to get your 15% cut figure - this is what you should eat every day and not eat back exercise calories.

That said you should check your exercise calories if you do more than usual on a given day as you should net over your BMR so you may find you need to eat back some of these calories. Presuming I am reading the rules correctly.
  • Thank you, thats brilliant. I'm pretty sure I understand now :)