Official Rules of EM2LW

The Great Hunger has finally arrived! Whoohoo, I don't know how I survived on 800 calories less a few weeks ago. :) Crazy! And only gained about 3 pounds, which is very surprising for me. Anyway, I just wanted to know really what I am doing. Like, I can't find anywhere the "official rules" for EM2LW or the plan or whatever. I know I am supposed to eat my TDEE for a six to eight weeks, and then cut to 15 % of that, but for how long? I read the forums and they are filled with "cuts" "second resets" and all sorts of jargon I'm not sure I understand.

Basically, I need a chart or a list or something to define how long EM2LW lasts, and what each week looks like.

Replies

• skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    There is a lot of great information in the stickies at the top of the discussion page. After you start your cut, you will want to recalculate your numbers at every 5 pounds lost. Your TDEE will change as you lose weight. Also recalculate if your activity level changes.

There are some here that will eat at the cut for 4 weeks and then eat at TDEE for a week and then back to the cut.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    There is a lot of great information in the stickies at the top of the discussion page. After you start your cut, you will want to recalculate your numbers at every 5 pounds lost. Your TDEE will change as you lose weight. Also recalculate if your activity level changes.

There are some here that will eat at the cut for 4 weeks and then eat at TDEE for a week and then back to the cut.
    This made me giggle!

Heres some basics:
    1. If you're coming from a VLCD, start with a metabolism reset, eating TDEE for 6-12 weeks (basically, until weight gain stabilizes)
    2. If you are not coming from a history of VLCD, or once you have finished your reset, you will move onto your cut phase (provided your goal is weight loss) which is TDEE -15%.
    3. Every 6-8 weeks, spend 1-2 weeks (personal preference, or when your weight loss stalls), eating at TDEE.
    4. Ditch the scale in favor of the measuring tape and progress photos.
    5. Dont overdo exercise, but do use it to accomplish your fitness goals.
    6. Weight training is not "required" but is highly recommended as building muscle will assist with fat burning.
    7. Clean eating is also not "required" but is highly recommended.
    8. Recommended macros are 40/40/30.
    9. Make sure you are calculating your activity level appropriately, using HOURS of activity, not calorie burn. Strength training most definitely counts toward your activity level.
    10. If you net under BMR, you must eat those extra calorie goals so that you are not netting under BMR. One or two days of netting under BMR over the course of several months is not going to be a big deal. However, one or two days per week will affect your metabolism.

Hope that helps!
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member

This made me giggle!

Heres some basics:
    1. If you're coming from a VLCD, start with a metabolism reset, eating TDEE for 6-12 weeks (basically, until weight gain stabilizes)
    2. If you are not coming from a history of VLCD, or once you have finished your reset, you will move onto your cut phase (provided your goal is weight loss) which is TDEE -15%.
    3. Every 6-8 weeks, spend 1-2 weeks (personal preference, or when your weight loss stalls), eating at TDEE.
    6. Weight training is not "required" but is highly recommended as building muscle will assist with fat burning.
    9. Make sure you are calculating your activity level appropriately, using HOURS of activity, not calorie burn. Strength training most definitely counts toward your activity level.
    10. If you net under BMR, you must eat those extra calorie goals so that you are not netting under BMR. One or two days of netting under BMR over the course of several months is not going to be a big deal. However, one or two days per week will affect your metabolism.

Hope that helps!

This is extremely helpful! Thank you for putting succinctly!
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    [/quote]

This is extremely helpful! Thank you for putting succinctly!
    [/quote]

I agree! I have been doing this awhile and know all of the info in that list, but it's nice to see it listed in such an organized fashion. :)
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    The list is fantastic!!! Just to clarify the macros, it is 40/30/30 so it adds up to 100%. I believe it is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.

I have found that if I include protein with every meal and snack, the other two seem to follow nicely. Protein helps to keep you feeling full too.
  • You guys! Than you so much! It is much more clear to me now!

Just a small question though, I know it's a long way off, but what amount of calories do you eat after you lose all the weight you want to lose? It seems kind of dumb to ask, but I assume you would continue to eat your TDEE?
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    i have a question about recalculating after 5 lbs up or down...

i dont weigh often recently but when i did, i floated back and forth the same 3 lbs or so constantly. may 31 i was 151 but on july 1 i was 146...can i trust this? is it time to recalculate??
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    According to the scoobys site, yes you do recalculate your numbers for every 5lbs lost. I have a notebook to keep track of the numbers in. It has my bmr, tdee etc plus my measurements, weights. I am also starting to keep track of websites, names of books, good suggestions, hints in there too.
  • mommamuscles
    You guys! Than you so much! It is much more clear to me now!

Just a small question though, I know it's a long way off, but what amount of calories do you eat after you lose all the weight you want to lose? It seems kind of dumb to ask, but I assume you would continue to eat your TDEE?

Yes, you would eat at TDEE once you are maintaining. Thats why we recommend diet breaks so your body gets to practice maintaining!
  • mommamuscles

i dont weigh often recently but when i did, i floated back and forth the same 3 lbs or so constantly. may 31 i was 151 but on july 1 i was 146...can i trust this? is it time to recalculate??

Yes, I would say its time to recalculate. Bummer huh? ;)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    The Great Hunger has finally arrived! Whoohoo, I don't know how I survived on 800 calories less a few weeks ago. :) Crazy! And only gained about 3 pounds, which is very surprising for me. Anyway, I just wanted to know really what I am doing. Like, I can't find anywhere the "official rules" for EM2LW or the plan or whatever. I know I am supposed to eat my TDEE for a six to eight weeks, and then cut to 15 % of that, but for how long? I read the forums and they are filled with "cuts" "second resets" and all sorts of jargon I'm not sure I understand.

Basically, I need a chart or a list or something to define how long EM2LW lasts, and what each week looks like.

Becca gave you an awesome list to get ya started. We are putting together a "starter kit" for the website, and it will include a section on "what to expect" monthly, as well as a break down of all the "rules" and terminology, lol
  • meggyh20
    ^^^^"What To Expect When You're Eating: An Eater's Guide to Resets, Cuts and Shaping Your Body"

Find it on bookshelves (or Ereaders) everywhere...coming soon.

Those "What to Expect" folks have obviously coined their phrase well. :) Can't wait to see it!
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member

Yes, I would say its time to recalculate. Bummer huh? ;)

haha, poor me :)

• There are some here that will eat at the cut for 4 weeks and then eat at TDEE for a week and then back to the cut.

My question is about activity while eating at TDEE. I have been at TDEE-15% during April, May and June so I decided to eat at TDEE for the first week in July. (I had seen something before about taking a break every 8-12 weeks). Should I maintain my regular workout schedule as well? I did take my morning walk yesterday because it was too beautiful not to, but in general I have been thinking "Rest Week" and trying not to be as active is usual. Is this right?
  • mgall86
    mgall86 Posts: 30 Member
    So do my NET calories need to be at my TDEE -15%, or just my overall food calories?? I've been a bit confused on this aspect!
  • meggyh20
    So do my NET calories need to be at my TDEE -15%, or just my overall food calories?? I've been a bit confused on this aspect!

You eat that amount of calories, regardless of the amount of exercise you do. So your net should be at or above your BMR. If the net drops below the BMR, eat calories back until you reach your BMR. Many log their exercise as 1 calorie burned on MFP because it helps you keep track of what you have left to eat more easily.
  • mgall86
    mgall86 Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you!
  • katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    Seriously considering this. I have to read up more on this. Thank you for this post!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member

Heres some basics:

Hope that helps!

this is a great recap! Thanks!