Help - I can't mentally do the long runs!

nickiboop
nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
Hi

This is the second time I have done C25k and I am falling a the week 6 hurdle

I have managed all the runs to week 5 run 2 fine, and then I walked for about 1 minute on the run three

for some reason now my mind is saying "no you can't do this walk" instead so I am now struggling to get through a 10 minute run.

I have tried using a treadmill instead of going out and I have tried changing my route which didn't help either

for some reason I cannot just run, I tend to over think and then panic and my breathing goes to pot

Has anyone had this issue and how did they get passed it??

PS Im inthe UK so I can't blame it on the weather as its generally rubbish here : )

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Have you considered slowing down ?
  • nickiboop
    nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
    I only run between 7.5 - 8k per hour so can't really go any slower : (
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    I'll be on W3D3 tomorrow, but see W5D3 in the distance and am a little wary myself. There is a big jump between W5D2 and W5D3. Have you thought about inserting your own runs in between? After your 8r-5w-8r, why not 9r-5w-7r or even 9r-5w-9r then 10r-5w-6r (or 10r-5w-10r), etc? I think by being creative and easing in to D3 you can overcome this hurdle. Good luck to you!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Im up to 10k at the moment but from 1k - 2.5k my mind is telling me to "stop" and "i cant do this"
    and once ive past 2.5 its as if ive gotten over that wall and i start to relax in my run

This morning my plan was to do 5k on the treadmill .......at 2k i stopped to walk 1k and just did not feel like carrying on I eventually did 1 minute sprint intervals up to 5k but starting off i just wanted to give up

Keep at it and even slow down slightly if you have to, its the endurance your after

Happy running
  • Hi there

The very idea of C25K is that you break down a big goal into many smaller ones. So if the jump is too big devise your own training week which is somewhere in between week 5 and 6. Also don't listen to your head. Your head might think "jeez this is a big jump" and other people might even agree but you might be surprised what your body can do if you adopt the mindset of seeing where things are going and not beating yourself up. What helped me as well is listening to podcasts from experienced runners (eg Marathon Training Academy). If you listen to enough episodes and don't let that little voice in your head tell you that you are nothing like those people than you might be "brainwashed" into the right attitude :-)

Good luck.
  • cygnoir
    cygnoir Posts: 6 Member
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread already. I'd like to add that there is no shame in repeating earlier (and shorter) runs as you are building confidence as well as stamina. I've done W5D1 four times now, and I will keep repeating it until I build up enough confidence to continue.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    I hate it too and dread the thought of having to run for 40-45 min straight... but MUSIC has helped me tremendously!! Make a playlist of your favorite, kick-*kitten* songs and hit the pavement - before you know it the time flies. And slowing down and talking yourself into saying you'll get through it or will make it just a little farther this time will help too! Baby steps... and before you know it, you'll have run miles and miles! Good luck!!! Happy running :happy:
  • I've always had trouble with my mind getting in the way of my workout, especially in C25K. I really hit a road block at week 7 which didn't make sense as I was only adding a few minutes to the run. I finally decided to not do the program quite as written but to set myself up for a success. For me, it was changing scenery. I started C25K on the track and then did a few days on the treadmill due to weather/heat. To switch it up, I went to the road. Honestly, I did not run for the full 28 minutes that I was supposed to. However, I did run most of it and even with my walking, I averaged a 13.59 minute mile so I take that as a success as my track speed is 12 minute mile. I had a few small hills which was totally new to me.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Have you tried to eliminate the word CAN'T and replacing it with CAN! Challenge yourself...if can do 10 minutes next time you go out do 11 minutes and so on...Hang out on Week 5 mentally telling yourself you can do it and adding time as you run!