working out too much? Advice needed...

Options
Rubyayn
Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
I wanted to share my workout schedule and see what you guys think or if you have any ideas on where I could tweak things? I used to do 50 minutes of yoga in Sundays since it is mostly easy for me and I know my body needs it, but I need a rest day more and was recently enlightened as to how important they are. I actually need to find a way to fit the yoga back in, either on Friday or Saturday, so I was thinking maybe I could nix one of the other workouts or add it into the evening?

I will give a little calorie info, too... just in case. BMR is 1450 and I typically eat around 2100 cals on high burn days, and always eat TDEE -15 or 20% on lower burn days, which is around 2000 cals. I have my activity level set to strenuous on Scooby, recently upped it from moderate.

I am "addicted" to working out and what it does for my well being, but I surely do not want to over do it. I just started the Body Revolution and am having to do it in the evening as it is the only time and place available. The only "symprom" I have of over training is some sleeplessness, but I am working out later and I have a two years old, so I am not sure if those are more to blame. It is bringing some stregth training into my routine, which I know is needed. I just read this article that was posted on over training and am slightly concerned, lol.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47672867/ns/health-fitness/#.T-m9g7WvLTr

Mon - Run or elliptical for 30 minutes (intervals) in the am. Stationary bike on afternnon break, 15 min (intervals), pm Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (30 minutes) BURN is usually around 650 for the day

Tues: - Run or elliptical for 30 minutes (intervals) in the am. Stationary bike on afternnon break, 15 min (intervals), pm Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (30 minutes) BURN is usually around 650 for the day

Wednesday- Run or elliptical for 30 minutes (intervals) in the am. Stationary bike on afternnon break, 15 min (intervals), pm 8 minute ABS - BURN us usually around 450 for the day

Thurs - Run or elliptical for 30 minutes (intervals) in the am. Stationary bike on afternnon break, 15 min (intervals), pm Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (30 minutes) BURN is usually around 650 for the day

Friday - Run in the am with jogging stroller, 45-50 minutes. BURN 350-400

Saturday- Biggest loser Cardio Max, 50 minutes BURN 400

Sunday - REST

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, keep eating as you are doing personally I would eliminate 2 of your morning run/elliptical but not consecutive days.. so Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs.. and replace your Saturday workout with your yoga.. cause yoga on a saturday gives you piece of mind (I really dislike the strenuous part of yoga but like the stretch and relaxation).. Thats what I would suggest doing and see how you like it, and that Body Revolution (I am not familiar with it) but make sure it isn't the same exercises everyday and that there is a variety, if its the samething everyday you might need to stagger those days.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think I will move yoga to Saturday starting this week. As for the cardio, I think I will take a baby step approach since cutting the am workout may be something I have to build up to mentally. For now, I will go ahead and cut out the afternon bike ride on Tues and Thurs. This will likely give me more energy for Body Revolution anyway. Body Revolution is a different workout every day targeting different muscle groups, so I will leave it as it.

Could doing this actually boost my weight loss?

Thanks again!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You dont need to have a huge burn to lose weight, you just need to eat correctly and have a deficit.. at a certain point that deficit and the amount you eat maybe too great to continue to lose weight (below BMR) and then there is overexercising.
    Why I chose the cardio to cut, because if Body Revolution has you doing strength training, your going to need that to help with weight lose maybe more than cardio at your stage.. your body maybe getting used to your cardio routine as well which will slow your progress.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have always been a believer in listening to your body when it comes to working out, if your body is starting to ache and you are digressing then you might need to back off it a bit. But if you are feeling good and enjoying your workouts and it does help your piece of mind "run" with it! Looking at your workout schedule it isn't really a lot of training, number 1 you are breaking it up through out the day and 2 combined your biggest workout days are only 1hr 15 mins. If I actually liked to run and do cardio I would probably follow a pretty similar routine :) LOL

SFC Q
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    It's great to feel great with working out!! It's fun to throw yourself into something when it is new. Not to be a downer, butt it may have adverse affects to do so much. As another poster said, listen to your body. Personally, I think that when exercise becomes all of your free time, it's okay at first while you are really passionate and excited about the new things you are doing, but once it starts being more routine or even a drag, you need to alter your regime. Pay attention to that. You will need rest.

If you love the yoga so much, why not keep that on Sundays (or whatever day is easiest)... I would personally drop two of the other exercise days. If you were only doing 30 min a day, no worries...but 1.25 hrs with some really strenuous stuff...that is a lot.

Balance is key and while it is fun now, you don't want to burn yourself out...
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    thank you all for the GREAT advice!! I really needed it, lol. I have quite the obsessive personality and even though I am obsessing over healthy things, they too can be taken too far. :)

Here is my new schedule. I may end up cutting more of the cardio, but to be completely honest it really does keep me sane. My anxiety levels are so low that I barely notice them now... they used to consume me.

Any comments? I plan to keep my calories the same, which will keep me about -20% TDEE pretty much every day. :)

Mon - AM Running (30 min), Afternoon Bike (15 min), evening JM BR (30 min)
    Tues -AM Running (30 min), evening JM BR (30 min)
    Wed - AM Running (30 min), Afternoon Bike (15 min), evening 8 minute ABS
    Thurs - AM Running (30 min), evening JM BR (30 min)
    FRI - Cardio Max Biggest Loser and maybe a walk (65 min)
    Sat - Yoga 50 min
    Sun - REST
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Sorry, but I had to revive my post! I am having a hard time getting this right and am feeling increasingly worried I am doing too much. After continuing the above schedule for the last few weeks I think I am finally able to admit I could have been over doing it. :(

I am looking for some suggestions and ideas on how I can modify my current workout schedule. I have found myself needing more rest time and feeling a little run down since starting Jillian's Body Revolution two weeks ago. I am fairly new to strength traniing, which she does a lot of, and I think it may be taking its toll since I was pretty much all cardio up until now. Basically. I am looking to see what you guys think of my new schdule or if there was anything else you would reccomend? I already nixed two of my afternoon bike rides, but I do not think that was enough. I am starting to kind of dread my evening workout and it makes me very, very sad.

Even newer schedule:

Mon- am cardio, but no running. Maybe just a long walk on the treadmill or light elliptical. Body revolution in the pm
    Tues: SAME as Monday
    Wed: Run for 30 minutes in the am and ride stationary bike in the afternoon for 15 minutes. no evening workout unless I am feeling fiesty enough to do some light ab work or something.
    Thurs: SAME as Mon.
    Fri: Run in the AM for 20 minutes: body revolution PM.
    Sat: YOGA 50 min (This is basically a rest activity for me and I have been nixing it for higher calorie burns, much to my own demise)
    Sun: REST

Right now I am at 2000 cals every day, which is right in between -15% TDEE for moderate and strenuous (1900 reccomned for moderate and 2100 for strenuous). I think I keepo working out so much because I like all the eating!! I guess I need advice on that, too... which activity do I fit in with this new shedule? Still strenuous?. Basically, I want to be able to eat as much as possible, but still reach my weight and fitness goals. I am sure you can all relate!!

At this point I have myself so confused that I am not even sure how much to eat, though I NEVER go below BMR.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    bump. just need reassurance!
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cutting out that Wednesday workout altogether??? I know a lot of people here do 3 days of strength training and 2 days of cardio...with 2 rest days per week. :huh:

I personally only work out 4-5 days a week for about 30-45 min on average, and usually at least one of those days is a yoga day, so not a very high burn going on there! :blushing:

Hope this helps, and that you figure out what's right for you! :bigsmile:
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    Last year I was working out very similar to your first schedule (1.5 hours/day) and I burned out and fell of the band wagon HARD. There were other issues that compounded that, but the short story is that I gained back 15 lbs of the weight I worked so hard to lose because I was over training and undereating. I'm now at 3 days Strength training (MWF) and do 30 min of light cardio on most of those days (easy elliptical, trial walk, etc) and 2 more days of heavier cardio on non-lift days. However, I've also found that by focusing on getting the weight training in (which I am finally focusing on) and giving myself a pass on not doing cardio 6 days a week, I don't feel as guilty when I "miss" a workout like I will today. I also enjoy my two rest days during the weekend (even though I sometimes burn more those days playing with the kids or doing outside work) than I would with a gym session. The bottom line is, listen to your body and find something that is sustainable long term. Cardio is a sanity saver for me too, but I've found walking along a river path, gives me the same sense of peace as 45 minutes on the elliptical and is more enjoyable :)
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Would dropping Wednesday put me at moderate rather than vigorous? That is my concern because I LOVE eating every single calorie, lol. I am wordering if I should go to moderate with a -15%TDEE? I kinda hate that working out has become such a hug reward system: both in how much I eat and the drastic changes in my body. I think a part of me is terrified of losing that.... BUT I am tired. So, a rest is what is needed.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I was doing well with my schedule prior to adding Body revolution, but I think that is because my body became accustomed to the cardio, so adding in weights really threw me for a loop! Body revolution is very challenging though and I can already see and feel a difference, so I think I can adjust to doing less and not sacrifice my results. I Hope!

Walking along a river path sounds so much more refreshing than the dreadmill and Today show, lol. :)