Body Composition Test Results - need suggestions-

Options
mishkat
mishkat Posts: 99 Member
So I went to have my BF tested yesterday with my husband. We did BODPOD. The test itself was quick and painless. The results, well... meh

My husband and I both fell in the "moderately lean" rating. He got 17.6% (lucky men lol) and I got 27.8%
Moderately lean for men is 12.1-20 and for women is 22.1-30%.
I feel I am too close to that 30.1% which would put me on the excess fat rating.
Lean rating is 18.1-22% for women. I feel that is a lot of fat to lose for me and my lifestyle so I don't think I will get there. I am hoping I can lose 2% in 6 months.

They also give RMR results. Online calculators gave me a BMR of around 1250. This test gave me a RMR of 1080, the instructor told me to round up to 1100. So I shouldn't net below 1100. That is very low I think. Even when I thought my net shouldn't be lower than 1250, I never really had to eat my calories back to net that since I have been on EMTWL.

My TEE for low active is 1642 and for active is 1879.
I have been "resetting" at 1700 for almost 6 weeks now.
I wanted to bump up to 1800 but after getting these results, I am not sure if I should or what to do anymore.
She said that if I want to lose weight, I should eat 300-400 calories less than TEE. So about 1342 (low active) or 1579 (active).

Since I started eating at 1700 my weight has fluctuated between 119-121 but mostly 119-120. I haven't gained or lost, so I have been on a plateau for months now, even before starting EMTWL.

I feel I fall in between low active and active. Problem I have is the way the factor activity.
Low active is light exercise and leisure activities such as walking 50 minutes per day at 3mph or golfing for 40 mins per day.
Active is moderate exercise and leisure activities such as cycling moderately 75 minutes per day or playing tennis 90m per day.

I usually "exercise" for 30 minutes a day., about 5 days a week. Recently been doing 30 day shred. Sometimes I may also do just cardio or just lifting for 30-40 minutes. I am not sitting on my butt the rest of the day though, I move often, do chores, cleaning, gardening, up and down stairs, taking care of my kids, shopping etc. So how can I quantify all that? I dont go walking/running/cycling/sports every day.

This week is vacation for us. Closing my diary and trying not to feel guilty every time I eat. But is almost impossible. Yesterday after I got these results I felt terrible. I felt "skinny fat" and was very upset to learn my RMR and TEE. I was hoping I could bump my calorie intake to 1800 and keep maintaining. But after seeing these numbers I am worried. Mostly because I don't know what my activity level truly is. If it falls into active then 1800 will be just fine.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ Using Katch-Mcardle (since i have bf%) gives a BMR of 1223, TDEEof 1895 and a 10% cut at 1706. I have been eating at 1700 for almost 6 weeks now.

What do you guys suggest I do during my vacation and after?
My husband wants me to relax during vacation and not worry about logging, that whatever I gain during it should come off the next week when I go back to normal logging. Because we are taking the kids with us, I know I will be on my feet often so I will remain somewhat active during vacation, I also planned on using their gym sometimes if possible, though my husband think I'm lame for saying that lol. He rather have us go hiking and being active everyday on different ways, not the gym. Gym sounds more relaxing to me haha.

And when I get back to logging, which number should I use? 1700 brought about .5 weight loss during these 5 weeks but the fact that I don't need to eat back my exercise calories to net over 1100, guess that means I am only light active? Is it possible my body is so efficient somehow that I don't burn as many calories when I workout? I have only been working out and more active for a few months now, so I don't think this is possible, since I am no gym rat. ;p

I want to believe I am moderate active but not having to eat back my exercise calories says otherwise. Even though I feel I am usually on my feet and busy one way or another.

This is all very frustrating. My husband doesn't feel the need to follow numbers, he prefers to have an idea and follow what his body tells him (as he loses or gain weight) to determine how many calories he should eat, so he changes his numbers arbitrarily. That is how I decided to bump up to 1800, I figured if I was maintaining at 1700, maybe 1800 would work too, so was going to put to the test for a few weeks.

Anyway, I rambled wayyyyyyyy too much, sorry about all the brain dump. Hope you guys understand what I am trying to get support/help with here. :ohwell:

The one good thing that came out of this test, and I use "good" loosely here is the fact that now I know I dont need to eat my 30% protein macro in full, 128g is way more than I need and I was going over that almost daily. :noway: My lean mass is 86.9 so I should have a daily goal of 87g of protein (1g/1lb LM). That should take a bit stress out of my plate. :tongue:

Replies

• mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • qtpie2006
    qtpie2006 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well that Bod Pod sounds cool! I may try it because I am truly curious. So you stated that : Active is moderate exercise and leisure activities such as cycling moderately 75 minutes per day or playing tennis 90m per day. Did they give any more detail around that? (ex. 5 days a week or 7 days a week or heart rate range) Based on the limited information that was provided to you it sounds like the low active fits what you described as your routine but that number sounds low. Actually your numbers are very close to mine. I struggle with this because I am pettie and it is always takes longer for me to drop the weight. I am trying to eat more calories and see if this will impact my metabolism. I wish I had some answers for you but I think the lab needs to really put a better definition around the activiity level.
  • TikiTanya
    TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just did Bod Pod last week also and was surprised by the results. I have always measured about 21-22% body fat with traditional gym measures. The Bod Pod has me at 25% in the moderately lean category. Like you, I was shocked my RMR was 1262 and I had been using 1460 as my BMR to eat back to after a heavy burn day.
    Was eye opening as it is more accurate than all the numbers I had previously been using. I plan to go back after I finish New Rules of Lifting for Women and see if I really gained muscle and dropped my percentage. i am starting stage 2 today so I have a few months to see what i can do. i want 23% !!