Eating out and staying on plan

Options
I need some advice from my fellow Medifast members...We are going on vacation at the beginning of August and driving from MO to NY. It will take about 15hours to get there. I know that we will be eating out at some point along the way. I am already planning on bringing enough Medifast meals for the entire trip but am thinking that I will have to eat at least 1 lean and green meal on our journey. Any suggestions for fast food places that I can still be on plan? I did see that Hardee's (Carl Jr) has low carb options on their burgers but for one I know that is not enough of a green potion so I am thinking a side salad will work. Also, the "lean" will be about 400 calories. That seems like an awful lot to me. Anyone have any luck being able to eat at a regular fast food place while still being on plan and getting what they need for their LNG? We have 4 boys so I know we won't be stopping to eat at a sit down restaraunt. My husband likes to drive and stop as little as possible. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

Replies

• littleredjd
    Options
    When I eat out, I usually try to get salad with grilled chicken on it and a vinaigrette. Wendy's and McDonalds both have this, as well as a number of other fast food places. Just about any restaurant you go to can make a salad with grilled chicken on it. Make sure it is not "fried" chicken or breaded in any way. And steer clear of creamy dressings (ranch, blue cheese, etc.) since they are often higher in sugar and fat, too.

Personally, I'd stay away from the fast food hamburger lettuce wraps since they are geared toward a pure low carb diet, meaning, it is not lean beef since low carb is also a high fat diet. They have regular mayo on them, too, and that is definitely not allowed.
  • kountryann
    Options
    i am making a quick trip to ms from tx and asked my counsler that same question! she suggested geting a salad with grilled chiken ( ask for extra piece of breast if going fast food) and take your medifast meals! good luck!!
  • gleahy77
    gleahy77 Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!!! I am a bit nervous about going on vacation and staying on plan but I am going to plan and stay on track as much as possible!
  • kountryann
    Options
    ok...i am determinded!! so i will be on the road tomorrow for like 8 plus hours so i am taking my medifast meals and i am gonna go ahead and grill some turkey and cut up bell pepers make a salad jar to take so i can stay on track!!! just pray for me on thursday we have a funeral then a dinner afterwards and well we southerns know how to cook!! lead me not into temptations!! lol
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    There is also a Dining Out guide you can download:) I usually just stick strickly to what you know you can have for your lean and green...its not hard dont over think it and def NO Hardees lol you cant eat bread and those burgers arent lean enough trust me and you would be able to only have 5 oz at best...I would go with a plain salad and double the meat from Wendys or McDonalds :) How was your trip? I also went to Applebees order a Spinach salad with double the grilled shrimp and dipped my fork in the dressing:)
  • littleredjd
    Options
    I'm going to be in Hawaii for over a week and plan to stay on plan the whole time. When you are eating your Medifast meals, that is will power to say no to restaurant food and yes to a healthier, thinner, you. But when it comes to your lean and green, it really does help if your significant other supports you and doesn't sabotage your good intentions by insisting on eating out at a place where you know you can't find something you can eat. I don't have kids, but I think you should be honest with them about what you are doing so they understand why you are choosing, say, Wendy's over Hardees.

Personally, I don't think letting kids and spouses always eat separate food from you is healthy for them, or you. At home, I serve everyone the same thing I eat--family or guest--for dinner. So sometimes I don't cook certain things because even though I like it, others don't. But I don't serve things I can't eat because I want people to see that eating healthy still means eating good, yummy food.

The example I always use is this: I am allergic to wheat/gluten. My reaction can be pretty severe when I eat something containing gluten, so everyone around me is very aware of that limitation. How I cook at home is limited to things that are gluten free. Same when it comes to choosing places to eat out, the decision is limited to places that I know I can order food that will be "safe" for me. I see my decision to eat Medifast as no different. When I go out to eat with my sisters' families, they would never dream of asking me to eat at a restaurant where I couldn't get gluten free food just because their kids were along or their husbands really want pizza tonight. Why should this be any different? While the consequence of eating gluten is different than eating off plan, I prefer not to do either (gluten = blistering skin rash and severe gastric problems, off plan = fat @ss).

When you eat out, don't be afraid to ask the person taking your order to customize your food and make sure you are not tempted by things that are off plan. Hold the croutons. No rice or potato. No bread. No mayo. Dressing on the side. Whatever it is, if you had an allergy you wouldn't be afraid to ask, so don't be afraid to do it on Medifast, either.
  • nicolelara
    nicolelara Posts: 22
    Options
    Where is the dining out guide, on the Medifast webpage??
  • nicolelara
    Options
    I leave tomorrow for San Antonio for two days and to pick up my son from camp. So on the road and restaurants. I am not worried about the medifast meals, just the eating out. I have been eating the cob salad from TGI Fridays when I go out, minus the bacon, and was surprise to discover how high it is in calories, fat etc. I am enjoying the salads and chicken. Love the idea of doubling the protein from fast food restaurants, will do that. Thanks
  • nicolelara
    Options
    Thanks. So what is the verdict, I joined the center, but should I buy the foods on line??
  • amuchison
    Options
    If you joined the center you buy your foods through them...didnt u pay for all of your foods up front along with all the testing and monitoring they do?
  • littleredjd
    Options
    I didn't pay for food up front, just the testing. At my center, you pay for food as you go and are required to buy at least 5 boxes of meals each week (7 meals/box, 7 days in a week, 5 meals/day).
  • amuchison
    Options
    I would say if you think you would like the support side sure buy online I am a coach myself now and I love having a coach to help me through and to get advice from...its nice to pull from someone who has been successful but who also has had the ups and downs that I may or maynot go through:) LOVE LOVE LOVE Take Shape for Life!!:)
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Where is your center? There is no minimum at mine.. I have so much Medifast left over from when I did it before and I just get a few more of my favorites, but don't have to buy anything! Mine is in PA.
  • littleredjd
    Options
    I am in Phoenix metro, I go to the Scottsdale center. I bought like 15 boxes up front, so they never say anything to me about whether I buy 3 boxes or 7 boxes. Of course, since I turn my diaries in every week, they know I am staying on plan. I mostly eat raw brownie dough or soft serve peanut butter made to the consistency of real peanut butter, so I really am not very creative about my MF meals. It is easier to stick to if you like the meals you are eating, that's for sure.