Options
deevatude
deevatude Posts: 322 Member
how important is protein for this weight loss journey? what are the benefits

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Its a vital building block in your nutrition.. if you are doing a cut or exercising and doing strength resistance you need to have protein to sustain and build muscle.. Its a balancing act between the 3 food areas (carbs/protein/fat) that equal your nutrition.. you should atleast be getting 100g of protein a day (Unless you weight 100 lbs).. there are a ton of articles and posts about the benefits..
    If you want results, eat some protein
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    It also keeps you feeling full for longer.
  • Sji19109
    Sji19109 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a difficult time getting protein in any tips for me? I get close to 100 but not close enough. I don't like milk or eggs but I am able to do milk with protein shakes. Preferably tips that are NOT meat. haha...
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I ended up using whey protein powder to get my grams in. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners and found that the "any whey" can be added to milk and easily incorporated into baking, oatmeal, coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, pudding. I even throw it in the ice cream maker and make post workout protein ice cream.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Not only do you need protein to build muscle. It is also very important to add enough protein to your diet while you are losing weight. While losing weight you would not only use fat, but also lean muscle mass. If you supplement enough protein, you are less likely to lose as much muscle.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and struggling to get 30% protein in but I am managing to get at least my lean body mass every day (approx 106) and try to keep above this.

I do use whey protein to top up but otherwise my protein intake comes from:

nuts
    peanut butter
    seeds (sunflower, chia, pumpkin, etc.)
    tofu
    seitan
    soy burgers / sausages
    soya beans
    eggs
    cheese
    milk (mostly soy but some dairy when out and about)
    yoghurt
    veg (broccoli actually has pretty good values per calorie)
    beans / lentils

Other good sources are quinoa although I don't have any at present.

I've ordered some pea protein isolate which should be arriving tomorrow. This is unflavoured so I'm hoping to be able to add it to savoury dishes like soups, curries, and egg dishes etc. so I can be less dependent on whey shakes.
  • Sji19109
    Sji19109 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for that list!!!