The Whole 30...

Options
Maasmondy
Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
Has anyone done it? It's 30 days of pure Paleo. No bites of this or tastes of that. It's no joke.

I'd love to do it, but might wait until after vacation the end of July. There's bound to be yummy goodies. Well, maybe for my own sake I should do it while I'm on vacation, lol.

Just would like some feedback!

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have done it and even though I was eating Paleo before I did the Whole30, I still found some of it pretty tough (mostly when I wasn't prepared enough and had to eat out at work...who knows what's in those condiments, probably nothing Whole30 approved!). Worth it though, as my sugar cravings were squashed afterwards. I'm planning to do another one soon!

My suggestion is to meal plan, batch cook on the weekends (for easy/quick meals during the work week) and don't eat out for the 30 days to be absolutely sure :) It makes it much easier!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    been paleo/primal since Nov 2011 and THOUGHT I would be fine doing the Whole 30 LOL....Riii-iiigghtt, lol
    I'm on day 5 and have been really, really clean. No licks bites or tastes at all, yay me!!
    Ive gone through...hey this doesnt suck!...OH the headaches and hangover...now I'm at "I'm soooo sleepy, and tired and no energy just want...to...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

looking forward to the rages, LOL...kidding.

Finding it very do-able but really need to be prepared with a plan. A weekly cook up is a great idea if you plan on starting it.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of asking this same question!

I've been VERY off and on these last few weeks and need something to kick start myself into primal eating again. I don't know if this is a good choice for me though since I don't really feel the urge to go paleo yet. I just need to get back to primal:)

Anyway, I'm wanting to go get their new book. Maybe I'll do that this week and see what it's all about...
  • Cavewomancafe
    Cavewomancafe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too have been flagging in my resolve. I've been eating lots of sugary like substances even if "primal" approved. (I'm so good at making primal desserts!) I really have to get my game on. I think I will do Mark Sisson's 21 day transformation. it is a little more approachable and therefore attainable for me. Got.to.do.it. Maybe I'll start tomorrow. No time like the present. :smile:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's how I started with Paleo and loved it but it's hard. Do wait, you are just setting yourself up for failure else.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I def recommend picking up the book, so that in your moments of weakness you can really remind yourself what you are trying to do. I didn't have it the first time around, but now that I've read it I feel like it will be a lot easier. Plus I know now to MEAL PLAN ahead hehe :D

Good luck to everyone who's going to give it a shot. The way I felt afterwards was definitely worth the effort involved. I make some yummy paleo treats too, but I found once I was in the habit of making them, then I was starting to go back towards an unhealthy way of eating. A cookie is still a cookie.
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My local B&N is out of their new book. Guess I'll have to order from Amazon.

I'll look into Mark S. 21-day challenge. See what that's about, too.

Thanks for telling me to wait, WeightWars. I appreciate that tid-bit. It would be sooo hard to obstain for 7 days at a cabin w/my family. (Especially when others plan the lunches and dinners)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I did but I did it in a group and had weekly check ins so it was a little bit easier to not "cheat".

I was already eating clean and doing the 30 days helped me drop out some of the last little things I was eating - like steel cut oatmeal and cut my dependance on things like Larabars.

I learned to pack paleo friendly snacks for myself if i was going to be out and about.

After I stayed fairly paleo for a few weeks longer but then started having some dairy creep into my eating - so I consider myself Primal now since I will have half and half, dark chocolate and some cheese or greek yogurt every now and then.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's how I started with Paleo and loved it but it's hard. Do wait, you are just setting yourself up for failure else.

This is also how I started Paleo and I would say the opposite. I stuck to it (very hard going from conventional eating to this) but I felt so amazing, slept so well and had so much energy it was what inspired me to stick to the Paleo / Primal lifestyle. The benefits of this style of eating are very apparent when following the whole 30.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I too have been flagging in my resolve. I've been eating lots of sugary like substances even if "primal" approved. (I'm so good at making primal desserts!) I really have to get my game on. I think I will do Mark Sisson's 21 day transformation. it is a little more approachable and therefore attainable for me. Got.to.do.it. Maybe I'll start tomorrow. No time like the present. :smile:

I'll have to look into that too. That might be better for me as well since I have to urge to go paleo a the moment. Thanks!

Twinmom, I'm having a hard time giving up my morning oats....this would be a great way to cut that out!!