Heat and appetite

Options
divediva2
divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
This happens to me every summer so it is not new but I find the heat just squashes my appetite. I mean I have to force myself to eat right now, I am really struggling. I think it is because I am drinking more water when it is hot and right now we are into day 6 or 7 of a nasty heat wave here in Southern Ontario, no end in sight that I can see for the next few days either!

I am trying to get at least 1550 calories a day, but it is below my cut but still above BMR. I am eating smaller meals right now, more often.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to combat it? I am dreading a warm meal right now, I have to go and precook my dinner as I have to work evenings tonight.

Replies

• wildflow30
    wildflow30 Posts: 27
    Options
    I do too!! WHY are we not toothpicks??? Because we have put our bodies into starvation mode.
    I started using protein shakes. I bought some powder at Walmart and make my own.
    Super easy to make with one scoop of powder, 2 cups of ice and what ever you have on hand.
    This morning is strawberries I picked last week and froze in one cup portions. When I have ripe bananas no one will eat, I split those in half and freeze into portions too.

I am really struggling to eat 1400 calories. And when I skip my shake, its a problem. Then I get really hungry after a few days and binge. Crazy rollercoaster I have been on packed on 50 lbs!

You have got to eat more to weigh less. !!
    PS I also walk at night. That way no sees my jiggly parts and its cooler.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I get the same way. I do a lot of bbq'ing outdoors (seems easier to eat a burger in the summer than a roast somehow) Plus make lots of cold salads such as potato and macaroni salads and you can add tuna and such to some of those things. There are lots of cold meal ideas that you can make up that will get your calories in (macros might be a little off if you aren't careful though) When the heat is really bad, it's a good time to indulge in things like icecream for those extra cals when you need them. Easy to eat on a hot day!!!

Do the best you can and get creative with your meals. Google cold meal ideas and see what you can find that whets your appetite! Sometimes just trying something new helps....a change of pace so to speak.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well.....since we are having a really cold and wet summer, I don't have this problem.
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat girls...Summer here is quite hot sometimes and I don't really have any appetite in that time. I try to eat fresh stuff and I have a little something that helps a lot: the tomato sandwich ! Bread, tomatoes, cheese, mayo and sometimes ham or chicken. Here are some calories that tastes fresh.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Ice.Cream.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've been giving my blender a workout the last couple weeks with different kinds of smoothies. Also the greek yogurt/ granola/honey combo is perfect for breakfast or snack.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great Ideas.

Noor, so sorry your weather is cool and wet, I would love some rain about now! I will package up some sun and heat and send it on to you!

I do have protein shakes for breakfast right now, facing an egg and toast breakfast just doesn't appeal in the heat. Lunch today was a ham, cheddar and spinach sandwich with tomatoes, snap peas and mini cucumbers on the side. I planned fish and salad for dinner, even cooked it earlier so all I had to do was reheat the fish, and of course my appetite died. I had an iced coffee and some cottage cheese for dinner. I am hoping I will feel hungry after work this evening and eat something then. I suppose I could have a doughnut! One of my coworkers has a family bakery, so he brings in these wonderful doughnuts on Fridays!!! Perhaps I should indulge. :bigsmile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    OMG, I was thinking this for the last 2 weeks and in "fear" that by dropping calories I may get stalled or even gain weight. I am pushing it to eat 1000 SOLID calories. I hate to say it but I have increased My juice intake. I've tried eating salads but I have no appetite for them, especially anything with fish. Also, I am the type that do not perspire, I SWEAT, and I mean you could drown in it just by walking a block (I love it) but when I'm finished, all I want is liquids - no food. Late Spring thru early Fall have always been My "high time" for weight loss. So right now, I am just accepting what My Body is telling Me and eat as much as I can before noon because after that I am shutting down for food.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with heat...I have NO appetite at all...Especially when I am drinking more water and the only way I can eat more is to cut back on the water which is what I have been doing so that I can eat but some days it's so unbearable - even in the house with AC - that I just want to drink water and that is it. I am just glad that on Monday I have finished Week 6 of my reset and am going to CUT so it will make it easier on me I hope anyways...It really is hard to eat at TDEE during this time of year with record highs everyday.

Best of luck to you all....The ice cream and cold smoothies and plenty of cold meals sounds like the best options to me...And for me, to keep my numbers up I use protein shakes at least once a day and just blend it with plenty of ice...YUM!!! :)