Bodymedia fit and eating at TDEE for reset

Options
maltipink
maltipink Posts: 147 Member
Hi, I have been using a bodymedia fit for the last month. My daily average TDEE for the month according to the device is about 2600. Those of you who have BMF or bodybuggs, would you trust this number and eat at "2600" for your reset? I ask because I have read that there is an error of up to 10%. I am not sure whether it over estimates or underestimates. Thanks!!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well I look forward to hearing the responses.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What are your numbers according to Scoobys site?

My BMF was pretty close to Scooby, so I just use the BMF now.
  • maltipink
    Options

Scooby has me at 2600 with "very active". I did not consider myself very active because my job is as sedentary as you can get. However, I am working out for about an hour in the morning and between 30-60 minutes again after work. Usually cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon. I work out at least 6 days a week.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Scooby has me at 2600 with "very active". I did not consider myself very active because my job is as sedentary as you can get. However, I am working out for about an hour in the morning and between 30-60 minutes again after work. Usually cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon. I work out at least 6 days a week.

Yep your very active! :) Calories burned are calories burned regardless if you sit on your butt all day. I sit on mine all day as well (IT Guy) and I am moderately to very active myself.

Increasing your metabolism keeps it up regardless of what you are doing .
  • maltipink
    Options
    I have been eating at 1800-1900 for the last month and it does not seem like much is happening so that is why i am considering a reset. 2600 seems like so much though. It will be so hard for me to potentially have my clothes fit tighter during reset, even if it is only temporary
  • maltipink
    Options
    Thanks Mike! Are you currently using your BMF for reset or are you in cut? Are you using the exact numbers the device is giving you? If so, how is it working?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Thanks Mike! Are you currently using your BMF for reset or are you in cut? Are you using the exact numbers the device is giving you? If so, how is it working?

I am in cut right now. WOrking like a champ for me. I use the exact numbers it gives me and I cut between 500-750 calories off of that (my daily TDEE is around 3700 calories)
  • maltipink
    Options
    WOWEE!! That is awesome! Were you using it during reset? If so, did eat at your average daily burn? Did you gain weight during reset?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    WOWEE!! That is awesome! Were you using it during reset? If so, did eat at your average daily burn? Did you gain weight during reset?

I did not come from a VLCD (I had been eating well over my TDEE for the past couple of months), so I went straight into a cut.
  • maltipink
    Options
    It is pretty sad that I have come here from WW. When you figure the points, it is pretty low calorie. I can't think of any other reason why I am not losing at 1800-1900 if my TDEE is 2600.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    It is pretty sad that I have come here from WW. When you figure the points, it is pretty low calorie. I can't think of any other reason why I am not losing at 1800-1900 if my TDEE is 2600.

It takes time, and lots of it for your body to readjust. If you are eating at VLCD for a long while, your metabolism slows down to match it. It takes time to refuel the fire.

Eating at your TDEE (full reset) is like taking 1 step back to take 10 million steps forwards. Once you do this for 6-8 weeks your metabolism will be pumping, so when you start your cut, you will lose weight.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've found the bmf to be the most accurate estimate of my tdee so far. I had set it up to lose 1lb a week. After one month I am averaging 0.93lbs lost per week. I have been a bit under my burn goals so it is pretty much dead on.
  • maltipink
    Options
    I almost wish I had seen this message board before I joined WW. I too was eating way above TDEE when I joined WW. I wouldn't have needed the reset if I came here first lol.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Seems odd doesnt it, but its true. I came from WW myself. I had lost 100 pounds on the program prior to having kids, and then after two pregnancies the weight piled back on and I have struggled after both kids to get the weight off. I was a model WW member, ate my points, exercised a ton, and never ate back my Flex points or activity.. so Yeah I was shocked when I plugged in my tracker in here and found I was eating about 1400 cals a day..

So years of VLC eating for me. I jumped to BMR to begin which was 1800, and after seeing that do nothing, I jumped up to my 15% Cut.. I had initially had a few losses, but they were small and then plateaued very quick... So after 6 weeks of that, I decided to plunge right in and do the reset. I jumped from 1400 cals at 2800 cals and my weight went back up to where it was when I began here, (about a 4 pound difference) and has basically stayed there for the past few weeks. I will be cutting in two weeks time and I cant wait:)

I was kicking myself when I started resetting, thinking about how wonderful I was at WW and why the weight wasnt coming off.. So when it finally clicked here, realizing how much I had trashed my metabolism, it was a big light bulb moment for me.I wanted so much to go back in time and do it right the first time... But at least now, I can correct the problems by doing a reset. It takes some time and patience, and yes you will likely gain some weight back, but like Mike said.. one step backward for a million steps forward:)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been using a bodymedia fit for the last month. My daily average TDEE for the month according to the device is about 2600. Those of you who have BMF or bodybuggs, would you trust this number and eat at "2600" for your reset? I ask because I have read that there is an error of up to 10%. I am not sure whether it over estimates or underestimates. Thanks!!

i was very skeptical of my burn numbers at first. per scooby, my TDEE is around 2200. per BMF, i've only burned below that number on very sedentary days. last saturday and sunday were some of my laziest days ever (the hubs and i indulged in a Heroes marathon on netflix AND i slept a lot later than normal), and i still burned in the 2100s. my average burn for the last week was 2330 (with just 2 days of exercise - 1 nrolfw and 1 cardio) and calories were 2297, so pretty much dead even. my weight has stayed within it's normal fluctuation range for the entire time i have had the BMF. i think it's pretty accurate, but just for my own peace of mind, i am leaving my MFP calorie goal at 2200, and just not worrying about it if i go over a bit. that 2200 mark is just a soft guideline...or a warning to slow down once i get close to it.

i have found this very interesting.....my burn numbers are significantly higher on lift days than just cardio days. and this is despite that fact that everyone says that the BMF doesn't accurately measure burn during lifting. i swear that my burn rate stays up just a bit throughout the day on lift days. if i do cardio, the burn rate slows back down to its regular rate after i stop. this is just a feeling i get from checking the my burns throughout a day. i need to take a look at the burn breakdowns to confirm it.
  • maltipink
    Options
    From what I hear, lifting weights does not burns tons of calories during the actual activity. However, you per minute burn will go up after the activity. Muscle keeps the party going after the music has stopped! lol. Are you currently doing a full reset? Have you gained any weight during the process?
  • maltipink
    Options
    Raynn1, I cannot wait to hear how your cut goes. I am so impressd that you had the guts to jump straight from 1400 to 2800! Wow. You ripped the band off! I have been so scared to go up to the point of TDEE. I am just going to do it and get it over with :) I can't wait to start hearing sucess stories once more people start into their cut.
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    Scooby had me at around 2400, my BMF has me averaging about 2600 (with some pretty wide ranges depending on what I do for the day). I think it is probably pretty close to accurate to use as TDEE. I haven't been on the scale since I started using mine, but plan to do so next week (I only weigh every 6 weeks or so for sanity). Hopefully I will have a better idea of how accurate it is by that point in time, since I will know what my deficit has been according to BMF every day. I'm eating at cut, didn't do a reset...yet...since I wouldn't consider that I was eating a VLCD in the 6 months before I found this group. I have done that many time in the past though, so I may eventually need to do a reset, I'm giving it some time at cut first.
  • maltipink
    Options
    Scooby had me at around 2400, my BMF has me averaging about 2600 (with some pretty wide ranges depending on what I do for the day). I think it is probably pretty close to accurate to use as TDEE. I haven't been on the scale since I started using mine, but plan to do so next week (I only weigh every 6 weeks or so for sanity). Hopefully I will have a better idea of how accurate it is by that point in time, since I will know what my deficit has been according to BMF every day. I'm eating at cut, didn't do a reset...yet...since I wouldn't consider that I was eating a VLCD in the 6 months before I found this group. I have done that many time in the past though, so I may eventually need to do a reset, I'm giving it some time at cut first.

Hi! Are you using about 2200 as your cut (TDEE-15%?). Your BMF numbers are very similar to mine.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    From what I hear, lifting weights does not burns tons of calories during the actual activity. However, you per minute burn will go up after the activity. Muscle keeps the party going after the music has stopped! lol. Are you currently doing a full reset? Have you gained any weight during the process?

Yes, gotta love that afterburn!!

i did not do a reset, but i am eating at maintenance right now. when i started EMTWL, the reset thing wasn't talked about so much. i went straight to 15% cut and saw a lot of success. i was not far from goal at the time. now, i am trying to maintain my weight but get stronger, fitter, etc.

ETA: i do show a pretty good burn on my BMF even during lifting though.