Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hi! I’m Pamela...

Hi! I’m Pamela and I’m Over Weight, Hypothyroid, PCOS, Adrenal Fatigued…

Began my membership here, yesterday. Lurked about this forum especially, since I am hypothyroid; due to family history and menopause. I have suffered with weight issues since birth. My mom actually wrote in my baby book, “Has a tendency to gain weight like her mother.” Mom was obsessed with weight too… gives new meaning to inherited traits.

Onset of puberty surfaced MY own weight issues. From then through today, I have done everything under the sun; extreme aerobic exercising, gym enrollments, weights, 3 times a day walking. Then to curb appetite I resorted to: smoking, OTC diet pills, diuretics. Even tried crack hoping it would aid in weight loss but ended up with a sinus infection the next day. Joined Weight Watchers, Nutri Systems, and Jenny Craig too, even did an Adkins stint. And yet, starvation dieting was my most successful achievement (not bragging, stating fact), but by age 35 that too was not effective. The weight still accumulated even with my more vigorous efforts. When expressing concern about the unexplained weight gain, my medical support would only say, “Do more, eat less.” My thoughts were, “So… what? Eating below 1000 calories and exercising 2-3 hours a day wasn’t enough? Throughout life, I NEVER achieved that slimness dictated by the media, Hollywood, family, boyfriends, husband(s), and girl-friends. I always felt broken, flawed…because I could never reach that perfect slimness.

So here I am at the height of my life and still fighting the war – WEIGHT LOSS. However, I’ve overcome many of my unhealthy beliefs and practices and even letting go of the people who help perpetuate them. This Journey of Change began in 2006. Joined Spark People to learn to actually eat food and exercise properly; no more extremes. Quite easy since I already am disciplined in maintaining bad habits, doing the same for good ones a walk-in-the-park. *LOL*

However, like those bad habits, today’s new healthier ones – mentally and physically - still cannot get this weight off. I am also managing hypothyroidism, PCOS, adrenal fatigue and now prediabetes. Can’t get any more hormonally challenged then that, right? I hope. Now I am reading that obesity is genetic. Okay… great explanation but where’s the solution. And that’s the rub… easy to generate “excuses” and explanations, yet tougher and more time consuming to discover solutions.

Today my new solution is trying the Paleo diet program. When on Adkins, back in the day, I became deathly ill. But this program seems a bit less restrictive and manageable. I want to learn more about the Paleo diet’s effectiveness for hormonally imbalanced people. Like a computer, I need and desire more data. *LOL* Also any one post-menopausal, does the weight issues become more manageable, or are they just as tough on the “other side”?

I never used the trackers on SP and may not here, since I have Diet Power on my computer. Been using that since 1998-99 when it first came out.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone. Hope I can lend some emotional support and general encouragement when the need arises. Well, I need to work on my profile…

Kind regards - Pamela Jenewein (peajay50)

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Welcome!! My best advice to you is this - patience. The weight can come off, but it may take longer than it does for others on the site who aren't battling the physical issues you have. But, regardless of how long it takes to see the scale move, you'll become a little healthier each day, and isn't that what it's all about?
  • lappelget
    lappelget Posts: 10 Member
    Welcome Pamela! I'm also over weight, hypothyroid, PCOS, Adrenal Fatigued (as well as celiac, lactose intolerant, and have Hashimoto's). It can be tough, but it can be done. My weight loss has been VERY slow and frustrating, but when the scale finally moves it's like angels are singing down to you :)
    I've found that the only way I can lose weight is on a diet similar to Paleo. I am a very clean eater and even then the weight loss is very slow (like .2lbs a week) but it is moving in the right direction. The other thing I have found with Adrenal Fatigue is that you don't want to over tax yourself with cardio. For me personally I feel so much better doing light weight lifting and skipping the cardio all together. I was also working out 1.5 - 2 hours a day on the elliptical and nothing was happening. It wasn't until I moved to strength that I saw any scale movement. Also, with PCOS you want to stay away from anything processed and absolutely no artificial sweeteners. Our hormones are already so screwed up on their own - we don't need to make it any worse by eating artificial crap. I'm sure you will read on these boards how important it is to stay away from soy as well. It's really bad for our thyroid.
    Feel free to add me. It sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm 31 and I have good days and bad days - we could go through it together :)
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Pamela
    Nice intro :happy:
    There's lots of good info & people here. Your "diet history" sounds very familiar...:wink:
    I'm on the other side of Meno its my opinion that its better, although that's when my thyroid started going whacky.
    I'm interested in what you will be eating with the paelo diet. Do you think you could post a typical day's eating, please?

lappelget: I've also been told to stop eating additives & sweeteners. What do you use? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out my coffee! Interesting that with adrenal fatigue the cardio was not working... that's what I have & I do elliptical... :ohwell: How long do you do light lifting? I run out of things to do with wts after a few minutes! :happy:
  • peajay50
    peajay50 Posts: 12
    @ lmelangley: After 36 years of battling the bulge, my patience has run thin. But you’re correct it’s what I need to possess to keep working out and eating well… that is an achievement as much as loosing weight. Yes, being healthy is the easy part to me; exercise and eat right. For me it’s wonderful to be able to actually eat food, instead of starving. I’ve always enjoyed veggies and fruits, but never much of a meat eater. But am doing well in that area as well. *S*
  • peajay50
    @ debbylee22: – Thank you for the welcome… it’s a pleasure meeting you.

The Paleo diet promotes high protein, low carb. But I eat more veggies with my protein then required. I don’t want to get ill like I did with Adkins. I started this diet about a week ago. I also follow the Glycemic Index program too. This web link is to a guy’s site who explains the Paleo diet quite simply: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

My only issue with this diet is the higher fat intake than I am accustomed to. But will work through it… *S* Also for you, I posted today’s food and activity on my page. Other foods I normally eat are: frozen fruit smoothies, sugar-free tomato juice, eggs, broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, cukes, peppers, onions, cauliflower, spinach, sunflower seeds, other nuts, tuna, salmon, halibut, crab, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. I grill my lean meats so what little fat remains drains off.
  • peajay50
    Welcome Pamela! I'm also over weight, hypothyroid, PCOS, Adrenal Fatigued (as well as celiac, lactose intolerant, and have Hashimoto's). It can be tough, but it can be done. My weight loss has been VERY slow and frustrating, but when the scale finally moves it's like angels are singing down to you :)...

@ lappelget:

WOW! So glad that you posted because reading that even a point 2 (.2) pound loss is a norm for you, is comforting to me. Because that’s the kind of loss I am experiencing… a point 1 pound here, a point 3 pound there. Then weeks can go by before another point “whatever” sparks some loss.

My workout is 2-3 miles brisk walking (Leslie Sansone’s 12 min mile) 5 times week; with Sat and Sun off though known to leisurely walk the mall or my property. During spring-summer-fall season once a week I push mow for 2 miles (1 hour), or spend 4-5 hours gardening. My strength/resistance training is about 30 minutes, 3 times a week, lifting 10 pounds 3 sets of 15 reps, then adding selected calisthenics that promote range of motion, balance and muscle strength.

Thankfully this is working for me, especially since starting Metformin (prediabetes) in October 2011. No severe fatigue episode since starting the med too, so am able to maintain a constant workout week. I use to walk 6 miles a day but would be severely sore and acutely exhausted by the 3rd day (taxing my adrenals). Obviously, cutting back was a benefit. *S*

Congrats on discovering what works for you regarding fitness. I get ideas for weight lifting from body building web sites. My calisthenics ideas came from high school Physical Education class, old Jane Fonda and Cindy Crawford workout videos.

Since my youth I refrain from processed foods or high salt products because I suffer from venous edema most of my adult life. However, I’m not so perfect that I don’t succumb to fast-foods and then that craving for salt especially one week prior to cycle. *S*

Not a sweet eater either. No sugar in my tea, no cream in my coffee, or eating gravy and other heavy sauces. I never developed those habits because my past dieting forced me to cut them out. I never acquired a taste for soy either, prior to my hypothyroid DX or afterwards. Soy sauce causes me to retain water badly. Not a bread or potato eater too.

Overall, it’s so frustrating to go months without any loss, so I look forward to sharing this experience with someone who understands not just via empathy but actual experience. Thank you for the friend invite too… *S* I hope I can lend you some support as well…
  • debbylee22
    @ debbylee22: – Thank you for the welcome… it’s a pleasure meeting you.

The Paleo diet promotes high protein, low carb. But I eat more veggies with my protein then required. I don’t want to get ill like I did with Adkins. I started this diet about a week ago. I also follow the Glycemic Index program too. This web link is to a guy’s site who explains the Paleo diet quite simply: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

My only issue with this diet is the higher fat intake than I am accustomed to. But will work through it… *S* Also for you, I posted today’s food and activity on my page. Other foods I normally eat are: frozen fruit smoothies, sugar-free tomato juice, eggs, broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, cukes, peppers, onions, cauliflower, spinach, sunflower seeds, other nuts, tuna, salmon, halibut, crab, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. I grill my lean meats so what little fat remains drains off.
    Thanks Pamela,
    You will have to change your diary settings so I can see your meal today... Go to Settings, choose Diary Settings, then near the bottom of the page, change to public, or friends... if you do that, add me. :happy: Looking forward to reading the link & your day's totals.
  • lappelget
    lappelget Posts: 10 Member
    lappelget: I've also been told to stop eating additives & sweeteners. What do you use? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out my coffee! How long do you do light lifting? I run out of things to do with wts after a few minutes! :happy:
    [/quote]

I don't use anything now. It was a super tough adjustment. When I finally figured out all of the things I couldn't eat I was unbelievably depressed - just had to change my mindset. Do I want to feel better and be a productive member of society? Or do I want to eat delicious things? After I really started to feel better the choice was easy. Once a week I allow myself a sweetened coffee and I use Raw sugar. I know it's not good for me, but at least it isn't too processed. During the week I found a Jasmine Green Tea that is kind of sweet on it's own, but it's not coffee. Bitter, party of 1 (haha)
  • peajay50
    Thanks Pamela,
    You will have to change your diary settings so I can see your meal today... Go to Settings, choose Diary Settings, then near the bottom of the page, change to public, or friends... if you do that, add me. :happy: Looking forward to reading the link & your day's totals.

My Diary settings have been modified... *LOL*
  • peajay50
    I don't use anything now. It was a super tough adjustment. When I finally figured out all of the things I couldn't eat I was unbelievably depressed - just had to change my mindset. Do I want to feel better and be a productive member of society? Or do I want to eat delicious things? After I really started to feel better the choice was easy. Once a week I allow myself a sweetened coffee and I use Raw sugar. I know it's not good for me, but at least it isn't too processed. During the week I found a Jasmine Green Tea that is kind of sweet on it's own, but it's not coffee. Bitter, party of 1 (haha)

What about using honey as a sweetner? I've heard that it possesses more nutritional beneifts over raw sugar. Whats your take on this knowledge?

I love teas... and drink tons of it. Non caffienated (sp) too.

Can I join your party? *LOL* I refuse to give up coffee entirely... my one indulgence. I love the bitter taste and the smell in the morning is invigorating. I take it Columbian Roasted, black with no sugar, cream or other additives. Three cups a day is all I have... delicious. *S*
  • debbylee22
    My Diary settings have been modified... *LOL*

Wow! interesting... I'll have to look again later, but I noticed you had red cabbage in your salad... hope it was cooked! Cabbage is bad for hypothyroid...

I'm going high protien & fat today. Cutting out as much carbs as is possible. (for me).
  • peajay50
    Wow! interesting... I'll have to look again later, but I noticed you had red cabbage in your salad... hope it was cooked! Cabbage is bad for hypothyroid...

I'm going high protien & fat today. Cutting out as much carbs as is possible. (for me).

The purple cabbage is minimal, about 2-3 very small slim slices. However, I hadnt heard about raw cabbage being bad for thyroid. Rats! I love raw cabbage. I have heard about broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower being a goitrogens (sp?)... all my favorite vegies. I LOVE raw broccli and cauliflower. *S* So I settle for over cooking them. *sigh* Guess I'll be picking out the cabbage from my salads...:sad:
  • debbylee22
    I think its fine - cooked. I get a bloated stomach if I eat even a "speck" of it... do you? If not, maybe its ok for you?
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    I agree with eating more natural - eliminate processed foods, sugary, starchy, empty calories. For sweetener you can use Stevia -- Nu Naturals makes a concentrated stevia that is quite sweet - you only need about 1/4 teaspoon in tea or coffee and it's great.

I eliminated gluten and dairy - although that's not for everyone. I fill myself up with green veggies - huge salads. I make my own dressing - store bought dressing usually contain preservatives, sugar, soy, etc...

For people with hypothyroid, calories in/calories out doesn't work. And if you exercise, make sure you eat enough to support your body to do the exercise. It's a mistake to exercise and eat extremely low calorie... just make sure the calories are nutritious and not empty.

Hope you can find the right combination of what works for you... also strongly recommend that you educate yourself about how your thyroid works -- www.stopthethyroidmadness.com is the best site I know of to explain it to you. And ask your doctor to treat your symptoms, not just your lab results.