I No Longer Have Diabetes!! NOT!!!

Options
Crochetluvr
Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
It irks me when people post that they no longer have diabetes. If you "no longer have it", you never had it to begin with and if you DID have it, you are controlling it. Like alcoholism, its NOT curable.

Rant over....

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have never looked at it like I will never have it.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I always want to comment and let them know that, while their numbers may be in non-diabetic range, they are not cured. But then I don't want to rain on their parade. I'm hoping to go off meds next week if my A1C is still 5.4 or below (it was 5.1 in January). I may come in here and celebrate good numbers and getting off meds, but you won't hear me say I'm cured. Start living like you're cured and see how long that lasts before you are back to where you started, or worse.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!

i have a diabetic friend. she had weight loss surgery to "get rid" of her diabetes. (a whole 70#s over weight). she was told she was no longer diabetic. yet, she found out she has a rare form of leukemia and now she is diabetic again. i won't say i "told you so." but, it's always there.......
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I wish it was curable. And I hate that people who have it say that because it only leads others to believe it is. So many people will tell me that I don't look like I have diabetes because I'm fairly thin. Then they will tell me that losing weight will cure it. So like if I get down to no body fat it will go away? There are lots of things about the misinformation regarding diabetes that just makes me mad. The other day, someone told my husband that if I ate vegan and did coffee enemas I would be cured. Hmm, no thanks, I like to drink my coffee and I'm rather fond of meat and cheese.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I have never thought of it as getting rid of it, but my Doc calls reversing the diagnosis and, honestly, I like the sound of that. So that is my ultimate goal.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I always want to comment and let them know that, while their numbers may be in non-diabetic range, they are not cured. But then I don't want to rain on their parade.

Same here. Tha'ts why I didn't comment on it. But I just don't want diabetics passing around false information that diabetes is curable. Its not necessarily a death sentence as long as you control it. But its with you for life.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ok. It's true that once a diabetic always a diabetic. It's a CHRONIC disease. But there are people who lose enough weight and or juggle their food well and have non-diabetic blood sugar levels.

We call these patients "in remission". That's my (probably unreachable) goal. I'm going to try and get as close to it as possible. This will be an almost impossible task for someone going on 8 years of being DM2. This means lots of my pancreatic islet cells are GONE forever.
    So true, 14 years plus several years of pre diabetes plus two gestational diabetes pregnancies. My pancreas is making insulin at the very bottom of the normal range. My goal is to have good numbers. Mine will never go into remission. I suspect yours probably won't either since you aren't obese which seems to be how most people manage to go into remission is losing a large amount of weight.

Remission is a good way to describe those people. They are not cured but are not currently out of range. Whatever failure in their body that originally caused the diabetes is still there, they may have temporarily changed the conditions of their body so things can sort of operate normally but the flaw is still there.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't like hearing the words diabetes and cured used together. Even one of my (ex) doctors used that term. And definitely, one of my goals is to be off meds and still have my A1c's in the range of a "normal person." But, I don't for a second believe that means I'll be able to go back to eating the way I was.
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You are correct if people only understood. My Dr is telling me I can get off meds and live healthy and be happy as long as I stay with my eating habits and exercise five days a week. Bottom line I can live without diabetes until I go back to bad habits. Being mostly American Indian it is more difficult for me but I know I can live without the side effects of meds or diabetes. Can I be cured, never.

Thanks for the comments.
  • strick1and6
    strick1and6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can you reverse pre-diabetes and be cured? Or will you always be pre-diabetics? I assume you will always have glucose issues, you just manage it better.