Are Macros important for success??

Options
I'm just starting out on my EM2WL journey and it's unnerving to say the least. I got the following from Scooby:
BMR 1766
TDEE 2738
Cut value 2190

I put in 3-5 hrs/week for my activity but with my exercise I only burn an average of 300 calories a day on 6 days of the week doing cardio. (I'm 5'3", 29yrs old, female, 220 lbs) My biggest three questions are:

1) Does my TDEE value seem ok, it's 972 calories above my BMR?
2) How essential is the reset for my long term success?
3) Are the macros really important if I'm just looking to lose fat? (I'm not ready to start the whole toning process) Does EM2WL work for people who aren't lifting?

Replies

• abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    bumping... anyone feel like helping a lost soul today ;)
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I'm just starting out on my EM2WL journey and it's unnerving to say the least. I got the following from Scooby:
    BMR 1766
    TDEE 2738
    Cut value 2190

I put in 3-5 hrs/week for my activity but with my exercise I only burn an average of 300 calories a day on 6 days of the week doing cardio. (I'm 5'3", 29yrs old, female, 220 lbs) My biggest three questions are:

1) Does my TDEE value seem ok, it's 972 calories above my BMR?

typically - It seems like TDEE is about 1000 above BMR. So that looks OK.

2) How essential is the reset for my long term success?

Not sure on this one, as I was never a "dieter" - Maybe check our the stickies for the reset support group.
    3) Are the macros really important if I'm just looking to lose fat? (I'm not ready to start the whole toning process)

Increasing your protein is important especially if you "just want to lose fat". Whenever you lose weight, you lose both fat and muscle, so losing at a slow rate and having plenty of protein in your diet helps you to maintain lean body muscle while losing weight.
    Does EM2WL work for people who aren't lifting?

Anytime you eat at a deficit you should see weight loss. As I have seen on here. Cardio may help you lose weight and you will be a smaller you. But strength training will help reshape your body, which is what most people are looking for. Increasing muscle also helps you burn more calories when at rest.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    1. Your numbers seem right, and they change based on height/weight/age, but you wouldnt eat at TDEE your eating at your cut unless your doing a reset
    2. Didnt do a reset, people are doing it as was mentioned read the stickies see if you fall into it
    3. Macro's are definitely important, as nutritionwhiz mentioned you should get that protein number up, cut back on bad carbs and bad fats.. eating the correct foods that fit into your macro's are important for success.. If you share your diary we can give some more tips, if your not comfortable with that, no biggie.
  • abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks for the input!! I've made my diary public, feel free to tear it apart. I didn't log completely yesterday or the day before that, but if you go back to Tuesday and a few days before it should be pretty accurate. I typically get plenty of protein, I'm a meat lover. I think I do pretty well on carbs and fats too but I'd love to hear anyone's opinions and suggestions. I'm not sensitive so let 'er rip :)

As far as the reset, I tried to eat at the MFP 1200 a few months ago and then gave up after about 2 weeks if that and started eating whatever I wanted for a few weeks. Then I came back and did about a week of 1200 plus eating back my exercise and then I started EM2WL. I think overall I have been eating at or above TDEE on average since before the new year with maybe 3-5 weeks sporadically eating somewhere around 1200. I'm guessing a metabolism reset isn't necessary since I wasn't a serious dieter before.