100+ Daily Thread May 1st

Options
lissa0040
lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

[Anyone can start the daily thread, just make the new subject and copy and paste the intro. Thanks in advance for your help.]

Replies

• lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I hope if anyone is still stopping in once in a while that you are reading and being encouraged. Feel free to add to the conversation!

Happy May Everyone!

I decided that today I will tell you a little more about myself. I am Melissa and I have been married over six years and I am 33yrs old. I have so much weight to lose that it feels so overwhelming sometimes. I want to yell at myself for letting things get so out of control. I used food for years to comfort me when I was down, stressed, sad, happy, celebrating, or busy amongst other things. There's no fast way to do this and even if I thought gastric bypass was a good idea (which for me--it isn't) my insurance doesn't cover it . So no matter what, I am losing all of this weight the slow way. On my own. I have dieted in the past but I haven't ever made it to my goal weight. I am trying to add tools like Myfitnesspal and journaling to try and change my lifestyle -- not just restricting myself from good food. Exercising became a challenge and it was embarrassing how out of shape I was for my age. People would say to walk but even walking for any length of time was a challenge at first. It was really hard to not constantly get down on myself. WALKING IS A CHALLENGE? What the heck had I done to myself?

It is so crazy how fast our bodies adapt.I have been exercising for a couple of months now. (and when I say exercising I mostly mean walking) And my body isn't fighting me anymore. I can't lie it wasn't easy at first and the first week-- I was miserable. I was so sore from moving after being so sedentary for so long. But the soreness passed and I kept going. I still have a long way to go but I am starting to see through the fog and through the negative messages in my head.

My main goal is to get my body to a healthier place so that I can have a baby. I can't quit because I want a family and I want to live a long life. I am way too young to live my life like a lump giving up my dreams because of fear. Seriously what's the alternative? Staying fat or getting fatter? That's crazy talk.

If I can do this then so can you. If your legs work -- you can walk. No excuses. Start small but get started. 10 minutes is better than nothing and you can try for a little more the next time.

We are in this group because it is something different to need to lose 100+ pounds. You don't meet someone 100pounds overweight everyday or at least I don't. It is an exhausting, sometimes overwhelming beast. We need support to be successful -- So let's work together everyone!

What's your story?
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading that lissa! You're right though. What's the alternative? Each year, my kids participate our marathon event. They do the kids run which is logging 25 miles of walking/running and then running the last 1.2 miles on event day to equal the length of a full marathon. The marathon has different events. The full marathon(26.2 miles), half marathon (13.1 miles), 5 person relay (totaling 26.2 miles), the 5K fun run/walk (3.1 miles), and the kids marathon (1.2 miles).

Well each year, I'd tell my husband "I want to do the 5K or something next year. I want to be a part of this". And every year camea round and I "wasn't ready". This year was different. So many years of saying "next year, next year" had added up. This year, I signed up and started walking. While I wish I could run, I'm not ready for that yet. Sunday I completed my very first 5K walking. By this time next year, I should be running either the 5K or the half depending on my skills and fitness then.

I too, was so upset at myself for letting things get this bad and not taking care of myself. But I can't change that now. All I can do is change the present and work towards the future. Yes, wearing regular clothes is a big goal I want to achieve, but overall, I just want to be healthy. I want to be the mom that has energy to keep up with her kids. I want to be so healthy at my 50th wedding anniversary that people think I'm only 50 years old! I want to be that 75 year old that's running the marathon and keeping up with the 30 year olds! Haha.
  • gpmominoh
    gpmominoh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling your story. I have been working and trying to lose weight for several months and am not really dropping pounds despite working out and eating better. I almost stopped because I was thinking how losing weight is so hard... Then I realized that being over-weight is really hard. Being more than 100 pounds over weight makes it hard to walk, breathe and do everyday tasks. You can fly on airplanes, you can ride roller coasters. So I keep going and trying to lose weight.. even when it gets hard.