how to get rid of the tummy pooch

Options
I'm 5'3 and about 125lbs. I'm not overweight or fat but would prefer to be leaner so I'm trying to loose 10lbs through diet and biking. I have a tiny tummy pooch and REALLY want a flat tummy. I don't want to be ripped, just would prefer a streamlined look. Can anyone recommend some exercises that helped them personally loose the pooch? If you have a link to a website that shows you how to do them, even better. I heard a rumor that doing sit ups will build muscle over your fat and make you look fatter. It that a load of bollocks?

Replies

• loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. 5'7", 132lbs give or take a lb or two. I can see the new muscle definition I am gaining everywhere, but my cursed pooch. The favorite line fo one of the trainers in my gym is "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym."

I never heard the rumor about crunches building muscle over the fat, but I have long felt that it was true. When I atually have time to consistently make it to the abs classes at my gym, I feel as if my belly gets bigger not flatter.

I am anxious to see the replys your thread receives as it will help me as well. :happy:
  • dinellelou
    dinellelou Posts: 22
    Options
    I am in the same situation! Although, I wish I weighed what you gals weigh haha. I really like Jillian Michael's DVD Ripped in 30. I was sore for a few days after though haha. She does intervals of cardio, strength and abs. So, it's not really ab focused though. Denise Austin's Belly Fat Busters is great too.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Crunches are pretty much the only exercise I do aside from walking. The whole muscle over fat thing is ridiculous, muscle eats fat, it does not just ignore it and sit on top of it. I do five minutes of crunches, which is currently around the 140 mark, different ones though, regular crunches, bicycle crunches, reverse crunches etc Not only is my tummy shrinking down but it's firming up nicely. By my honeymoon I should have a wonderful flat stomach I'm happy to put in a bikini.

I'm 5'10", 25, around 140lbs and only interested in toning up rather than loosing weight, but I've put myself on the loose half a pound a week diet just because every little helps when getting ready for a wedding.
  • LaundryJo
    LaundryJo Posts: 47
    Options
    Tae Bo insane abs is brilliant in fact all tae Bo is great for abs and most of the ab exercises are standing, which is good as I hate crunches!
  • asteraki23
    Options
    I must agree with the last post - all types of martial arts are great for building that core and getting that lean, trimmed look. After my two pregnancies, I've done a lot of cardio (running) that helped me flatten out my post labour pooch, but am still myself looking for that magic formula to get it into my pre-children state!!!:sad:

I'm 5'6'' and a 1/2, weigh 135 at the moment, looking to get to around 125 again...
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just started listening ot Cut The Fat podcast this morning on my drive into work. It has some great suggestions and things to think about regarding cutting fat.

One of the things I want to try is cutting carbs (except veggies), but cutting simple carbs 3 hours before a workout and 2 hours after a workout. It's going to be hard for me. I might start with 2 hours before and 1 hour afterwards.

Anyways, listen to the first episode and they'll explain more about why and all that. (I'm at work right now, so can't spend too much time here explaining). :)

Good Luck!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have had some results by doing planks. You have to reach the deep muscles. As for building muscles over fat...I had a trainer tell me that I have some great muscles UNDER the fat on my legs.
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    Okay here is what works for me. and I"ve lost 5 inches in my stomach pooch.

1- watch your fat gram intake. it effects it HUGELY. 50-55 grams tops per day
    2- watch your sugars. this i struggle with seriously. but the more sugar in your diet the more fat builds on your stomach
    2- drink plenty of water
    3- cardio cardio cardio!!!
    4- do some ab strengthening. because you want your abdomen wall to be tight, so once your cardio dusts all the fat off you have a nice flat masterpiece underneath.

so cardio and a little toning are a must. but 75% of it is your diet.

"abs are made in the kitchen"
  • alewop
    alewop Posts: 4
    Options
    I definitely, agree with Kimber_av's advice. It's a lot about your food choices I'm beginning to realize. Also, excess protein intake can store as fat so I've began to eat my protein earlier in the day and go lighter at dinner. Makes sense because you can't pin point a certain area for weight loss, your body looses it as a whole.

My mom said that my family is just cursed with a stomach pooch but I fail to believe in that! lol I am determined to proof her wrong! I've done a lot of reading and research and have put in to place my current routine of a cardio warm up of about 15 mins to get the heart rate up, then resistance/strength training (it actually burns fat for around 30 hrs after you end your work out where cardio stops burning as soon as your heart rate returns to normal) , followed by interval cardio (which burns more calories because it keeps your body guessing) , and then end with ab workouts (the rest of your body will be exhausted which makes focusing and building up the stomach muscles easier)

If you looking for a butt kicking ab workout, I read on another post here on my fitness pal about Manny Pacquiao's ab workout. Now this is a hard work out. Check it out on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOHLPlLwTiM Good luck!
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Kimber's advice sounds spot on, in addition to good exercise of course.
    Abs appearance really are determined by diet. Ask any fitness or bodybuilding competitor. To really get defined, it does take getting pretty strict, especially if one tends to naturally store fat in the mid-section, which many of us do. However, there are many pear-shaped women who bemoan their hips and butt, but who have nice flat tummies with hardly doing a thing, and the slightest dietary change will bring out their abs, while the former body-type has to work harder and longer on her diet. However, it's possible, plus it's never healthy to have a lot of fat on the tummy anyway, appearance aside. The way I look at it, I feel like I'm not in shape until the tummy is(my trouble spot).
  • jesstn2
    jesstn2 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is an issue with me! thanks for the advice!
  • maanchua
    maanchua Posts: 4
    Options
    a gym trainer told me that only cardio could burn the fats in the tummy area.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options

2- watch your sugars. this i struggle with seriously. but the more sugar in your diet the more fat builds on your stomach
    2- drink plenty of water
    4- do some ab strengthening. because you want your abdomen wall to be tight, so once your cardio dusts all the fat off you have a nice flat masterpiece underneath.

that's interesting. I never really paid attention to fat intakes etc, rather i only bothered paying attention to the overall calorie intake.
    thanks for the tips!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Kimber gave some good suggestions. I know that for me it's all about the food. To get a flat tummy, I have to really watch my diet and avoid any any starches and grains. One piece of whole wheat bread, or one serving of oatmeal? Fughettaboutit, I'll be bloated for 2-3 days. Even if you have no issues with gluten, it just makes most people bloat.
  • aprilm68
    aprilm68 Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" is so true. My abs are made of McDonald's french fry's and Tim Horton's bagels....lol That's why I've started tracking my calories on myfitnesspal, limiting my fast food intake and just bought 3 of Jillian Michaels workout DVD's. No more trouble zones, 30 day shred and Banish fat, boost metabolism. So far I love them. They are hard because I've had a desk job for 8 yrs and let myself get lazy. She breaks her workouts into circuit and focuses on specific areas. She does some ab exercises I've never seen before. It's only been a couple of days and I am fully aware of some muscles I haven't been using....lol :smile:
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay away from refined sugar--and white bread! But I really don't think there's anything you can do to reduce the fat on your stomach other than lose more fat all over. Exercises will build up your muscles, but it's not going to affect the fat lying over those muscles. It wasn't until I was officially "underweight" that I lost nearly all my stomach fat. Not everyone can easily maintain that level of thin and feel good, though, so it's ok to have a little pooch! It's part of being female!
  • Anna1763
    Anna1763 Posts: 5
    Options
    So happy to see this because this is exactly my problem... I'm 5'5" and 122 lbs, and yet have a 32" waist (!). My waist is the exact size of my hips, not cool. I'm starting to the think that the only way for me to have somewhat normal proportions is for me to be model thin, which is a standard I never aspired to.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    To some extent, to have a different shape, you have to select different parents.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

2- drink plenty of water

SN you gals sure are skinny! lol

Thanks for the info! I'm a healthy size 8, 5'5'' 147lbs and I would be fine with this if I wasn't so flabby (stomach), so my goal is to shed the fat and gain muscle. I'm glad to see those things u mentioned get rid of tummy fat cause that's what Im doing now :-))) I already see the difference. I'll be sure to keep it up! yay!
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    So I am 5'3" 148 lbs and my tummy is my worst, actually my obliques. The Insanity Ab workout is nuts. It will have your pooch gone in like a month. I swear. The good part is = not even 1 crunch. The bad part is = it hurts!