Parkrun

Options
Anyone else joined parkrun? You can find local runs here www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events

I've done two Reading parkruns now - both just under 30mins - and have been really impressed with the setup and the warm welcome I got as a novice runner. There are elite runners of course who dash round in 16/17 minutes and plenty who run/walk slower than me but it's not by any means a race - the only person to beat is yourself.

They record your time and text you the result later in the morning with a little congratulation if you get a pb!

I wish I'd discovered it earlier, running with other people is so much more interesting.

Replies

• sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    I saw this link from a running magazine and had a look, the closest run is in Bristol for me and that's about 25 miles away...
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I used to do Cardiff Park Run, but then didn't run for a year and have literally just got back to it a couple of weeks ago so don't fancy racing yet. :ohwell:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A lady at work was telling me about this the other day, it sounds so good! I'm moving around constantly at the moment so haven't signed up, but when I settle at uni I'm definitely going to give it a go, what an amazing event!
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A new Parkrun started near me three weeks ago (Havant). I have taken part in all three and I can fully recommend them. The organisation is fantastic and the results system and stats that you can get online are really useful. The times at my local event range from about 16mins to 45mins so there is a wide range of abilities and it is very friendly and not over compettetive. There are always lots of poeple around the course to cheer you on and offer encouragement.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    ooooh, a Reading parkrunner you say? The TVP on or the other one? I run Basingstoke Parkrun sometimes (havent in a long time) but maybe i'll do a few now, maybe i'll even join you!
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There's one less than two miles from me and, when I did run, followed my same route. Haven't run for a while though so I definitely don't want to compete just yet. Keeping my eye on it though.
  • adamsunman
    adamsunman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A new Parkrun started near me three weeks ago (Havant). I have taken part in all three and I can fully recommend them. The organisation is fantastic and the results system and stats that you can get online are really useful. The times at my local event range from about 16mins to 45mins so there is a wide range of abilities and it is very friendly and not over compettetive. There are always lots of poeple around the course to cheer you on and offer encouragement.

Havant is my local one too, may head down in two weeks time (after a stag and wedding after each other - don't worry, I'll dodge the buffet ;)
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    Options

Havant is my local one too, may head down in two weeks time (after a stag and wedding after each other - don't worry, I'll dodge the buffet ;)

I will look out for the man in the tiger costume then!

Havant Parkrun is not on in two weeks time (14th July). Staunton Park is hosting the Hampshire Water Festival or something. So you can enjoy your hang over in peace.
  • adamsunman
    adamsunman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good times. 25th will be the first one I can make. See you there!
  • chunkyjeff
    chunkyjeff Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just started jogging as a way back to fitness and to help with my weight loss and this sounds like a great aim for me to achieve doing a local 5km run then keep going back as my fitness improves ... thanks !!!!
  • nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first parkrun this saturday (7th July) in Albert Park in Middlesbrough after a few weeks of 'thinking' about it! The only thing that is putting me off is the weather forecast of torrential rain, so I thought if I publicly stated I was going to do it - I'll have to..........

Wish me luck!

Anne
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first parkrun this saturday (7th July) in Albert Park in Middlesbrough after a few weeks of 'thinking' about it! The only thing that is putting me off is the weather forecast of torrential rain, so I thought if I publicly stated I was going to do it - I'll have to..........

Wish me luck!

Anne

You can do it Anne! And you're a brave lady for even considering running in rain, let alone committing to it! (For no other reason that I'm a complete wimp!) Let us know how it goes!
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    Options

Wish me luck!

Anne

Just checked out the Albert Park course. If you have to run in the rain this looks like a good one for it. Flat and run on tarmac. Don't worry though it is always sunny at 9am on Saturday mornings :-)

Parkrun is addictive I garantee that if you do one you will be back every week. It is a really good atmoshpere and everyone is really encouraging. You will find your own pace and you will end up with the same people running near you each week because they are at the same pace as you. You build up a sort of camaraderie and spur each other on. I have only done a few but it is definately the start to my weekend now.

Good luck!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first parkrun tomorrow - Cannon Hill Park. I've volunteered at loads, and finally I've got my shizz together enough to actually give it a go.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I do the one in bushy park ( near Hampton court)
    It's the original and biggest. There are regularly over 800 people taking part.
    It is a great free event and I cant recommend it enough
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ok - who did it today then? I did mine, completed the course in 35:34 minutes which isn't bad going considering it was my first one! Conditions were pretty good, bit overcast and drizzly but not slippery on the course. There was a HUGE puddle on the course though which I went cross country to avoid. I'd rather get muddy than risk wet feet and blisters!

How did you do today?
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    Options
    Well done everyone who went out in the rain today. I finished in 25:53. Which is only 2s slower than my best for the course. I was quite pleased as it was wet, muddy and very slippery in places. Our run is not on next week so I am thinking of trying another. Perhaps Brighton & Hove.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    ive been tempted but the timing always clashes with my daughters ballet! lol! i like to go out running with my local club. for those that havent joined a running club id encourage it. Found some great pacers and my timing has improved loads/ Plus it got me running in the winter which ive never done!
  • nowornever250
    Options
    I completed my first parkrun today in middlesbrough :happy: Everyone was really friendly and encouraging and will be back next week. The after run cup of tea in the cafe was well worth it.
  • nowornever250
    Options
    ps meant to say thanks for the words of encouragement :wink: