Western riding enthusiasts!

Options
:heart: Losing weight for myself and my beautiful horses equally :heart: My road has just begun with MFP. I want to show my horse next season and know he is more comfortable and I am stronger and fitter so we can do our very best..Are there any other western riding enthusiasts with the same goals as me out there? Love to hear from you!

Replies

• newlifecowgirl
    Options
    Hi and congrats on starting! I started with MFP in March and it has completely ramped up the way i eat, how much I excercise etc..
    Since January 1st I have lost 62 LBS and counting, my total loss goal is 125 LBS (for now!)
    I am doing this to be a lighter, stronger and more balanced rider. I have have recenlty hit my halfway point and my "reward" was finally stepping a foot into the stirrup on my 3 yr old colt. It was the most amazing feeling ! I want to start training him for cutting, so we both need to be in shape and fit....Taking one day at a time to do so~!
  • txdistancerider
    Options
    So glad I found horse folks on MFP! I too and losing weight to be a better rider. I used to compete in endurance and competitive trail and just loved spending long hours in the saddle, but sometimes lately just the act of saddling up wears me out...I want to get back to competing next year and just want to feel and look better. Last couple of times sometimes taken a picture of me riding it made me want to be sick looking at it...no more...gotta fix this.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Me, me!!! I used to show Paints once upon a time. I haven't shown in a long time but I would love to get into competitive trail riding or SHOT. First, I must get fit again!! With every pound I gained, I lost confidence in myself. I used to be strong in the saddle and now I'm a weak sack of potatoes. Not for long though!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Got my first horse of my very own this year and am hoping to train her and I for barrels!
  • archadtz
    archadtz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone... I have owned and ridden horses since I was 13. Had a traumatic head injury (not horse related) years ago, and am just back in and enjoying riding again.
    I just brought a new mare home, and am taking her to our first western pleasure show in Sept :)
  • country88girl
    country88girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello! Finally some more western riders! I have been riding since I could walk and couldn't think if a better activity. I bought a 4 year old mare this summer and I am going to train her to be my barrel horse =) She is absolutely the love of my life but I had to move away from her till May to finish school but hopefully I will be able to move her down with me. She is like my child anybody hate being away!
  • Michelleszoo68
    Michelleszoo68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I ride both Western and English--have found it very useful over the years to cross-train our horses. Love doing *everything* from dressage, to reining, to Western Pleasure, to eventing and competitive trail riding. I can totally relate to many of your posts! It's so comforting to know that I'm not alone. I pretty much gave up riding several years ago after having a wreck on my horse that was totally my fault and can be directly attributed to being overweight, not being balanced and having no upper body strength. It could have hurt me (and *worse* my horse) permanently! So for the past too many years, I convinced myself that I was satisfied being a horse show Mom and supporting my daughter through her riding career and joining her on the occasional trail ride. Well no more! My daughter is at college now, and I'm more than ready to get "back in the saddle" for reals! I recently moved and there is a very active riding club in the new area I live in and I'd love to join, but am too embarrassed at my current weight. So I'm using that (*and* some competitive trail rides this Summer *and* getting back to dressage training *and* wanting a decent picture of me with my horses that I'm not disgusted with!) to fuel my incentive to get in shape. Plus it helps that my poor ponies (who are used to carrying my slim daughter around) look back and glare at me when I get up in the saddle! So I have lots of motivation!
  • megalee24
    megalee24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love riding western and like many of you want to lose weight and get fit for my sake as well as my horses'. I have never competed but I love trail riding, plus my young horse needs more time with someone on his back so I am hoping that will be me. I know part of my exercise routine this spring will be helping my hubby build fences at our new place so I can move my horses closer. For now getting moving and making better food choices is my challenge, but I am not giving up!!