Trying to lose 130lbs by Novemeber...am I MAD?

Options
AquaFitQueen
AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
Soooo. Here I am. Had another break down last night as we were going to bed. I got very teary about the fact that my weight is ALWAYS a battle in every way. My poor husband TRIES to understand, but as I explained to him he can't understand what it is like to live in a world that hates you just for how you look, he can't understand what it is like to carry all this weight around 24/7/365 and he can't understand they lifelong obsession I have had with food (B.E.D,) Bless him, he does try but he is 30lbs overweight and has lost it before in less than 3 months. :( (but yay for him of course!)

I need to get down to a BMI of 50 by the middle of November so I can be put on the waiting list for an apronectomy. I have lymphodema in my belly hang with goes beyond my knees on one side. And I really really want it OFF!!!!! It gets in the way of everything and is very sore to the touch. Not fun!

My loving husband worked out last night that a BMI of 50 is 351 lbs for me. Which is roughly 130 lbs from where I am now. If this is broken down, it works out to about 20lbs a month. I may be comparing grapes to oranges, but they lose that much in a week on biggest loser...so why can't I do it in a month?

I'm just so desperate to lose weight and I do not want to go down the route of getting my intestines rewired....it terrifies me!!!

Replies

• ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It might be rough.

Don't compare yourself to the people in the biggest loser... they are beasts, They work out like 8 hours a day.
    people on here have lost that amount of weight in that amount of time (i how ever am not one of them).

I wish you the best. feel free to add me if you wish
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Thanks :) I am *trying* to be a beast, lol. But yeah, I will add ya :)
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I took some time to think about this one as I'm sure we've all had times where we just looked at ourselves or the scale or whatever and had that moment where we wants to lose a ton at once. I know I have.

What would your calorie intake be at 20lbs per month? The heavier you are, the more you can safely loose but there is a line somewhere. If it is a huge restriction or a huge drop, I'd be concerned that the weight would come back if you didn't keep eating and/or exercising the same once you got to 350.

You see people on the Biggest Loser lose so much because they are in such a controlled environment. When they go home, they probably have an initial gain as they aren't eating the same way or working as much or at the same intensity (they don't have Jillian yelling at them, heh). A lot of them gain it all back. I'd hate to lose a bunch and then gain it back.
  • DoozerDMB
    DoozerDMB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser is great...but they have trainers, are in a controlled enviroment and do nothing else but work out.
    Can you do it? Sure. But if you don't lose that much every month how will you feel? Will it be a let down? Will that make you frustrated and have you eating?
    Setting more realistic goals for yourself may be better. How about 10lbs for the first month? If oyu lose more then great! Every thing you do has to be geared towards a lifestyle change... things you know you can do and maintain for the rest of your life. Otherwise you are likely to burn yourself out and give up.
    Surgery scares me too. I refuse to be cut open for something that I know I can fix myself.
    Feel free to add me if you want support and encouragement. :)
  • DestinysPath
    DestinysPath Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go on a "DIET" I pretty much always lose 20lbs the first month. Water weight? Bloating? Every month after that however, I did not lose that much and it was tough! So just don't let your head talking you out of succeeding if you miss a goal! And don't diet! Lol, focus on portion size, no trans fat, no artificial flavor/color, no high fructose corn syrup or hydroginated oils.If you have a craving, allow yourself to have it... in moderation! One thing that helped me before, I would keep dish soap at the dinner table... I know it sounds retarded and wasteful, but as soon as I was done, I would put dish soap all over the food so I wouldnt keep picking at it. Also, so I couldnt wake up in the middle of the night and eat it either. Tons of fruits and veggies! Water (i always used to say it didnt fill me up, but its actually starting to.) Good luck dear! We are here for you.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    yeah, I dont think this is gunna happen. LOL. Been at this a month and lost 3lbs. Did lose like 8 inches in a week, but drs don't care about that! Stupid BMI charts!!!

But yeah. I guess I will be happy with a 5-10lbs a loss a month. One day at a time and things will happen when they are meant to.
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yeah, I dont think this is gunna happen. LOL. Been at this a month and lost 3lbs. Did lose like 8 inches in a week, but drs don't care about that! Stupid BMI charts!!!

But yeah. I guess I will be happy with a 5-10lbs a loss a month. One day at a time and things will happen when they are meant to.

That's the spirit! Any loss is a good loss! You'll get there, just keep your chin up! :)
  • angie6171
    angie6171 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just look how far you've come already! That's terrific in itself! Just keep going, no matter how much you lose it's great! Losing weight and keeping it off is certainly a difficult journey that requires us to make serious lifestyle changes. Be proud of all you've accomplished thus far and keep going!
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Slow is frustrating as all hell, I agree. I've wanted to throw in the towel after working hard for a month with nothing to show for it or even a gain because of edema or something. I just have to keep rememering that the changes are happening in my body and eventually the scale will follow. You can't stick to your plan and not have progress, it just may not show up for a while because of other things going on like the swelling that happens when you build muscle and water fluctuations due to hormones, etc. Those 8 inches mean something!

Just remember.. the time is going to pass anyway and the more time that passes with us on plan and working, the closer we are to getting better even if we can't always see the rewards right away. The time could pass with not doing anything but then we definitely wouldn't be any closer to our goals. The old addage applys... slow and steady wins the race.

Thank goodness for all the mfp'ers and their cheerleading, is all I can say. I would die without the daily encouragement.
  • chrissgetskinny
    Options
    Some doctors can measure a body fat % as well. If you're losing inches and not pounds it would be because your fat in melting with the build of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room and so you are turning fatty muscles into lean ones and the inches are coming off which is better than the measurement on the scale. I'd ask your doctor about body fat percentage and ask him to measure you that way as well. More muscle means an increase in metabolism as well and so this is better than losing the pounds on the scale, don't let your doctor put you down because he's not using the correct and updated measurements.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Remember, inches is important. It's a true testament to what you're doing. Yes, losing weight is important but, if you are losing inches it means you are building up your muscles and muscle is not fat!

You should check your body fat % which is what I do! that will probably make you feel a lot better when you see that number going down down down!