I am new and have a Metformin Question

Cloudsweeper
Cloudsweeper Posts: 32 Member
I am a 30 yr old woman with two lovely boys and wanting more.
But, the dreaded PCOS is causing trouble again.

I went on Metformin to get pregnant both times but I am wondering how many of you are on Metformin all the time? I am wondering if it would help with the other symptoms. And if you are, what is your dose? And do you stop when you do get pregnant...

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    I'm not currently TTC but I got pregnant with both my kids after taking it like you did and now I'm on it all the time. I have only recently gone off birth control (can't handle the hormones!) so I probably haven't had time to recognize if it's regulating me more or not, but I know it's the only way that I can lose weight so I'm very happy with it! lol! I'm on Metformin ER (extended release), 500 mg once a day. I have less negative side effects on the ER than I did on the regular dose
  • Cloudsweeper
    Cloudsweeper Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks for that --
    I think I may ask my MD for a prescription.
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    I have been on Metformin and birth control for almost 15 years and did not have any trouble conceiving both my boys. When TTC I stayed on Metformin for the first 12-14 weeks and then tapered off. I did however, have Gestational Diabetes and was on insulin with both pregnancies. I am currently taking 1500 mg. but have also taken up to 2000 daily. I don't even know if it's really know if it's helping anymore as I haven't had symptoms in years. Maybe some slight stomach issues when I start back up again after pregnancies. I've talked to the doctor about long term usage and they are not concerned. But I am a little.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    I've been on Metformin since 2008. I take 2000mgs a day, one pill in the morning and one at night. When I got pregnant, they had me go off of it and on to Glyburide after 14 weeks.
  • My husband and I have been TTC for two years. I was on Metformin (500 mg, once a day) for three months and I saw no change in my cycle, weight, etc. My OBGYN wants to see me again before deciding where to go from here. Sigh...