Banging my head against a brick wall!!!!

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I am SO frustrated! I am BEYOND frustrated. I have been on MFP actively for right around 5 months. When I initially started low carbing and researching all my medical issues, I lost 25lbs right away. I mean SUPER fast and yes, I know that overall, if you break it down, I have lost the equivalent of 5lbs a month. My issue is, I have not lost ANY weight in the past 3 months. I stay within my calories on MOST days, even when I go over, I still stay within a range to where I should lose weight. I stay within my carb limits (50 net). I take my meds and a handful of vitamins like I should. I recently switched to Armour instead of Levo also. Yes, I know that hypoT and PCOS w/ IR will make it more difficult to lose weight but this is ridiculous. I know I dont exercise a lot but I ride my horse a few times a week, work around the house and yard a lot, and chase a 2 year old the rest of the time. Is that it? Is it the lack of official "exercise"?? Please help me! Look at my diary, ask me questions, offer advice, criticism, whatever!!! LOL! I get so frustrated counting, weighing, calculating, etc. and then seeing the scale stuck at the same spot every single week. It's not even that I am losing motivation... I AM motivated but being motivated sucks when nothing is happening. I'll take a half a pound loss here and there.. ANYTHING. Any suggestions/advice are welcome. I go back to the Dr. this month and will discuss with him as well but would appreciate any input! Thanks!

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry Mindy :flowerforyou:
    I am going through the same thing, actually. I quickly looked at your totals & first thing comes to mind, is that your calories are low... I know, its weird, but if you go into starvation...
    What has worked for me in the past is rotating calories up & down... low days would be around the 11-1200 calories, then build up each day by 200 calories for 4 days... drop back to the start & go again. I did this last week again (had stopped doing this when I added the CO). Lost 1/2 lb... first budge in 30 days! :noway:
    Also, exercise is absolutely essential for me to lose. If I stop exercising... I start gaining (even on 1200 calories)...:frown: Have to get sweaty!!
    Hope you get more answers, because I would really like to get more ideas too!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi Mindy - I'm going through the same thing, too. I lost about 15 pounds in maybe the first 6-8 weeks, and there I have stayed, but now it's more like an 8 pound loss, because it kept going up and down. I have been this weight and playing around with it since mid-February.

When I see others post that they have lost 30 pounds (my goal) in 6 months (how long I have been logging) - and they started out around the same weight (175-180) and now they are 145-150, I get so jealous. I know it's a horrible emotion, but it doesn't seem air, does it?? That we have to deal with hypoT and all this other crap that goes with it - that others can do what we're doing and they lose it - albeit, with their own amount of hard work, but we can work twice as hard and will not get the same results!

I don't have any advice to offer, but I am in the same boat! On saturday I started eating low bad carbs, avoiding all goitrogens, eating high protein (higher than before), eating clean, no sugar (ok, there was some in the ketchup I ate the other night) and increasing my fat intake with coconut oil.

I do feel a heck of a lot better just after a few days - and the scale *seems* to have dropped about a pound a day the last few days- BUT I am not holding my breath and I will rejoice and really believe that what I am doing and eating is a good change when I can get to 159, the goal I never reached, after hitting 165 in February.

Feel free to add me if you need extra support! Take care.
  • allieguerra22
    Options
    Ah, sorry Mindy :flowerforyou:
    I am going through the same thing, actually. I quickly looked at your totals & first thing comes to mind, is that your calories are low... I know, its weird, but if you go into starvation...
    What has worked for me in the past is rotating calories up & down... low days would be around the 11-1200 calories, then build up each day by 200 calories for 4 days... drop back to the start & go again. I did this last week again (had stopped doing this when I added the CO). Lost 1/2 lb... first budge in 30 days! :noway:
    Also, exercise is absolutely essential for me to lose. If I stop exercising... I start gaining (even on 1200 calories)...:frown: Have to get sweaty!!
    Hope you get more answers, because I would really like to get more ideas too!

I agree that your calories are low. I also noticed your macro breakdown....fats are the highest? I would add more protein. I know you want to keep carbs low, so maybe 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs? Just a thought.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi Mindy,

It is very frustrating, I did the same thing. Lost the first 10 then nothing for about a month. Debbylee's suggestion to mix up the calorie count has worked for me. I'm starting to lose again. Small amounts but at least not gaining or staying the same. I took a peek at your diary. I have a little suggestion if I may. One thing I had to do was to stop eating the "Sugar Free, Fat Free foods." I found it hard to really stay on track when I ate or drank "sugar free foods."

Also, I had to limit my cheese.:sad: (I love cheese) Eliminating the sugar free and fat free items gave me better food choices as I hadn't been concentrating on good foods, just how I could get the sweet tasting foods without too many calories......

I envy you having a horse to ride. I no longer have one. In order to get the exercise in you might ride your horse EACH evening after dinner even if it's just for an hour. Maybe your husband could watch your little one for you at that time. You may feel you can't ride your horse as you're too heavy, not so. You know the horse can carry you, unless you have a little pony. It's just that we want to look good on our horses, I know. I used to ride English and did Hunter Jumper. My horse took me over jumps just fine. I felt sorry for her but she didn't "groan" when I got on her, and I sure didn't look the greatest in those riding pants :blushing: but I loved the riding and actually lost weight doing it.

Hang in there, you can do it. :drinker: More vegies and less sugar free stuff might help. The only thing you have to lose if you give it a try is some weight. Right? The focus will be on fixing good things to eat instead of stressing (which is a killer for weight loss) over your weight.

If you can print out your diary's and show them to your Doctor, he may have some suggestions. Or maybe a dietician???

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Thank you all! I do enjoy my sugar free goodies but I have been thinking that maybe I need to cut them out and see what happens. OR only have ONE sugar free goody per day rather than several. I am a self-admitted chocoholic. :) I was also wondering if maybe my calories were too low. I think I WILL try boosting them over a couple days and then dropping back down and see what happens. Now that its summer, I have been eating more salads and fresh veggies. Its just too dang hot to eat big heavy meals. I know that when I was on vacation, I gained 5lbs but dropped back down to my calorie goals and lost it almost instantly. Maybe I just need to trick my metabolism.

Exercise.... Ugh. I will make a better effort to ride my horse(s). I have a new horse that I am very excited about and a horse that I need to keep legged up for my daughter. It stays light out until 9pm here. I have no excuses other than laziness I suppose. I also have an elliptical machine that is COVERED in cobwebs. I guess I need to renew our relationship as well.

Fats - my fats are highest because I read on some low carb diet study that too much protein turns to sugar when there is more than the body can process. I have to stay low (50 net) per day due to Insulin Resistance and borderline diabetes so I may try upping the protein a little bit but cant really go anywhere on my carb intake other than down. I am not sure how valid the study was but I know that when my protein levels were higher, I was not losing weight either. I rarely hit my macros anyway, other than the carbs.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Hi Mindy,
    Did you happen to see Dr Oz yesterday? It was on losing wt. for your body type... you might want to check it out, for exercise. For mine, it says to do "spurts" of high intensity exercise... then level out... on & off to make the fat go... tried it today, we'll see. I know I have a tendency to not really "push" myself, because I don't like sweating... other types were other suggestions. Pretty interesting.
    Google: doctoroz videos/breakthroughs-your-body-type
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Exercise WILL be a big factor. Come to me feeling frustrated when you've been in a good fat/protein/carb ratio, good calorie range, AND exercising at least 30-60 min. everyday (that's my boat!).

What are you taking for your PCOS and Levo? What pills/dosages? That could also be the extenuating factor (since I assume your PCOS is being treated with BC, which is notorious for weight gain/bloat; maybe look into metformin?)
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    I am taking 1500 mg Met for pcos and I am on bc (loestrin). I take Armour for hypoT.. I think it's 60 mg. I know it's 60 something. I take a ton of vitamins/supplements too. I was exercising a lot more but got discouraged and gave up when my weight loss came to a screeching halt. I am going to challenge myself over the next 4 months to do some form of exercise every day for at least 30 min. My birthday is Nov. 1 and I'd really like to be in onederland.
    Exercise WILL be a big factor. Come to me feeling frustrated when you've been in a good fat/protein/carb ratio, good calorie range, AND exercising at least 30-60 min. everyday (that's my boat!).

What are you taking for your PCOS and Levo? What pills/dosages? That could also be the extenuating factor (since I assume your PCOS is being treated with BC, which is notorious for weight gain/bloat; maybe look into metformin?)
  • firstsip
    Options
    So you are on Metformin? That's interesting; I've read more often than not that weight loss comes with Metformin (with the tendency to have, uh, less than pleasing side effects from eating). But then, I was "hyper" for a good year with no weight loss, so statistics and symptoms can only go so far.

I think your plan to start exercising again is a good one. You will always ultimately benefit more from exercising than not; it's possible you hit a major plateau (especially common with someone dealing with multiple endocrine issues--I'm in the same boat, with adrenal issues, no thyroid, AND ovarian cysts that rupture and caused me to go on BC), and would have started dropping weight with continued exercise/diet.

And always remember--gauge your body, not the scale. Muscle gain isn't necessarily hindered by any of your conditions, so with exercise, the scale might not reflect a thinner, healthier body.
  • freerangehuman
    freerangehuman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    People with thyroid disease are have a higher tendency to enter the dreaded "starvation mode." Up your calories for a week or two and see what happens. Our metabolisms are more sensitive to drops in caloric intake.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I hear ya! I started my weight loss "journey" in Jan and have lost a measly 10 lbs so frustating! That being said though, I have been lifting weights and am seeing really nice results from that even though the scale does not budge. I also upped my cardio to 60 min 5-6 days per week (in spite actually as my doctors says I need to workout out 1.5hrs 5-6 days per week so I was trying to prove him wrong - apparently I am very stubborn)

Even with the upped cardio my scale has not really budged, goes up & down 1-2lbs but has not really gone lower but I sure feel better energy wise and look better in my clothes. Oddly my measurements don't seem to have changed but I can see a change for sure. I think the supplments I have been taking and eating changes have made a huge difference (in a post here) even if the scale is not changing, things are shifting. It is a huge committment though and a "normal" person would have reached their goals months ago I am sure.

I am sure all that extra excercise is not what you want to hear (as I did not at the doctors - I definitely cursed him in my head...repeatedly) but it is encouraging in a way to know that others have the same problem and that over time succeed...just takes so much longer :(

Oh & yes cut out all the fake sugars - there is research starting to emerge that it makes the body crave sugar and does negatively effect weight loss. Also the chai seeds and digestive enzymes seem to really help with the bloating which can make you feel and look heavier.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also the chai seeds and digestive enzymes seem to really help with the bloating which can make you feel and look heavier.

I love chia seeds! I can second that they certainly help with bloating.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Oh! Chia seeds?! Can someone enlighten me? I haven't heard of them before.
  • peajay50
    peajay50 Posts: 12
    Options
    Sorry, I'm late to the party...

WOW! Mindy, I am where you're at right now too. Frustrating – a word that still cannot express the way I feel, and it appears nor for you either. ((((((((((HUGS))))))))

I whole heartily agree with your stating, "I AM motivated but being motivated sucks when nothing is happening." For almost a year I have experienced no weight loss and my dr is not concerned. She says, "Keeping moving, keeping eating right, no matter what the scale says." However... here recently I have noticed my calves slimming down and my arms; proof of that infrequent, though still meager, point 2 or point 3 (.2 or .3) pound loss I have seen in the last few months.

Also for some encouragement, the Other Numbers are what aids in my motivation now. The inches lost, and needing maintained from all my prior efforts; waist, hips, thighs, etc. Also the way I feel after a workout; invigorated, positive, and able to move freely while carrying excess pounds. My workouts keep my hypothyroid depression under control, as well as my premenstrual syndrome too. I also think of my future, the advancing age. I want to remain upright not wheel chair bound in my older years. I am prediabetic now, but activity and nutrition today will keep full blown diabetes at bay tomorrow.

For many of us struggling I believe the ‘whole picture’ must be part of the quest. It’s not only about loosing weight, because too many days, weeks, months can go by without loss. So we must also focus on the other benefits of activity and nutrition to remain committed and motivated.

Discouragement is all too real… at least for me. I cannot afford that kind of major set back. Or maybe I am OCD enough to not allow it to happen. *S* Any way, I hold on to the Other Numbers as my motivators too; Lost Body Inches, Low Fasting Blood Sugar numbers, Low Cholesterol Readings, High Oxygen levels, Full Range of Motion, Minutes Spent Active (including gardening, mall walking, cleaning house, etc.), and last but not least… the fact my clothes size has stopped increasing. And for some people I have encountered their clothes sizes have dropped just from loosing body inches.

So whatever achievements I’ve gained those still need maintaining, even when weight loss famine strikes.

Mindy remember your successes while fighting the famine. ((((HUGS)))))
  • debbylee22
    Options
    In that article "In depth Thyroid info" post... it went into great detail explaining what happens in our tissue when we work out, and why it is actually hurting us... bummer! So, today I took on a different approach, not pushing myself as hard, will see how that goes... on the positive side, I got more housework done! :flowerforyou: If they're right, its the exercise putting us into the stalls. :embarassed:
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    Oh! Chia seeds?! Can someone enlighten me? I haven't heard of them before.
    I hadn't either but they have been around for 100's of years apparently and are a super food, go figure. I started eating them to try to help my super sluggish disgestive system as physyllium as causing major bloating and not really working anyway.

I have been eating 3T chai (added to shakes or make a pudding with them) and have noticed a huge difference in bloating and my digestive system is working better than it has in months. I have not lost any weight on the scale but my tummy is so much slimmer now than it was (not necessarily from the chia but I am sure they help) along with all the exercise and eating right ;)