Newbee.....Sleeve Surgery in near future

Options
MsTolliJ
MsTolliJ Posts: 1 Member
I am new to this site and will be having the sleeve surgery very soon. No date as of yet. I need to lose an additional 30 lbs before surgery is set. gone thru insurance requirements, but seems like weight just doesn't want to fall off on it's own. Very upset that in 6 months I only lost 14 lbs. need some support on how to cope with this and how to get to that goal weight for surgery.

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your life changing decision! One thing that helped me lose some pounds before surgery was the diet that my doctor requires in order to shrink the liver up a bit and move it out of his way. It actually works because it helps to rid the liver of some of those fatty deposits most of us have. It required me to have protein shakes twice a day and one meal consisting of around 3oz lean protein and a non-starchy veggie (no potatoes, rice, pasta, etc). I was allowed to have SF jello and SF popsicles (thank goodness). Best of luck to you and you can do this!
  • crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above post's diet, I drank almost a gallon of water a day. It really helped me feel full, and I lost. Good luck!
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I used the time pre-surgery to start eating as closely as I could to the way I would be eating after surgery. It seemed to make more sense to go from 1500 cals a day to 1000 or less than to go from 3000 or more a day to 1000. I cut out a lot of bread, pasta, rice and liquid calories to try to like I would after surgery. This helped several ways, first I was able to drop 39 pounds in 4 months pre-op and second, after surgery I didn't go through a mourning period for the food that I couldn't eat because I hadn't been eating that food for four months. I've used MFP to track every bite of food that's gone into my mouth since I started my pre-op preparation. I see that your food diary is not public. If you open your diary those of us who have gone thorough this part of the journey may be able to give you some recommendations for better choices. Best of luck to you!!
  • Brett8118
    Brett8118 Posts: 15
    Options
    I knew I would struggle with the pre-op diet, so I took my normal portion sizes and cut them in half, eliminated almost all soda, and increased water intake. Try to sub a protein shake per day when you can.
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    Options
    I used the time pre-surgery to start eating as closely as I could to the way I would be eating after surgery. It seemed to make more sense to go from 1500 cals a day to 1000 or less than to go from 3000 or more a day to 1000. I cut out a lot of bread, pasta, rice and liquid calories to try to like I would after surgery. This helped several ways, first I was able to drop 39 pounds in 4 months pre-op and second, after surgery I didn't go through a mourning period for the food that I couldn't eat because I hadn't been eating that food for four months.

I definitely agree. I didn't have to do a pre-surgery diet....but I did go through the "mourning". Wow. What a shock to life. I had a hard time at first, but dropped 20+ lbs in 3 weeks. Its sooooo worth it. Try replacing a meal or two with a protein shake. You'll have to get used to them sooner or later. I had to drink two or so a day to get my protein in. It was rough at first, but it is so worth it. I don't drink any sugary drinks as it is, so cutting those out should be first and foremost if you do.