Low carb and high cholesterol

Options
I am looking for advice on low carb foods that are not TOO high in fat and cholesterol. I am trying to up my calories, but don't want to overload on carbs.

Any suggestions?

Rachel

Replies

• xBrittanyK
    xBrittanyK Posts: 13
    Options
    Unfortunately, one of the things with low carbs is that it's full of fatty/high cholesterol foods. Obviously, a diet full of bacon, cheese and eggs isn't ideal, but if you balance it with vegetable and lower fat meats (chicken, turkey, etc) every now and then it'll work out.

I will say though, when I went from a low fat/moderate carb diet (around 100 carbs a day from whatever I wanted) to a low carb/high fat diet my triglycerides dropped significantly (about 70 points in a year) and my good cholesterol went up and the bad went WAY down. My doctor couldn't believe I did it without medication (other than starting a fish oil pill) and all the meat I was eating. You'll need the fat to fuel your body and make you full as a replacement for carbs.

If you're really set on it, stick to white meats or leaner cuts of beef but cook them in full fats like butter, olive oil or coconut oil. Add some cheeses to your salads or veggies and sour cream and cream cheese to things to get some fat in it without having to eat straight fatty/high cholesterol foods.