Sore muscles early on, help!!

Options
SilverLuma
SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
I was wondering what to do when I have sore muscles throughout this workout. I am pretty out of shape but I am enjoying it anyway. I feel like Insanity lets you go at your own pace while still pushing you to do the best that you possibly can, so I don't feel like it's too intense for me, however my muscles are aching pretty badly and especially the ones required to do squats. I'm worried it will make me not be able to do that portion of today's workout. Any tips or thoughts?

Replies

• Super_Dave_32
    Options
    Take Advil immediately after your workout before the pain sets in. And be sure to stretch out well right after the workout is over. That will help ease the pain a bit and give you a better range of motion when you roll out of bed the next day. I had the same problem when I first started, but it gets better after a few weeks.
  • jeffsalyer
    jeffsalyer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Along with stretching, you must replenish your body with some protein. I drink Gatorade Recovery drink right after and it seems to help curb the soreness. Advil works for a bit, but wouldn't do it too much. I just finished week 4 and understand the early pain. That part gets better. I've found my muscles feel heavy later in the program, but that passes too.
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! That all makes sense. I always have protein right after my workouts, so I'm glad to hear that this is the right thing to do. I've been trying not to take advil but maybe I will try that tomorrow just to see if it helps. I know that chronic use of advil can mess with your muscles ability to repair themselves which is def not what I want. But taking it one or two days shouldn't hurt. I didn't think of looking into a recovery drink, I'll have to give that a try. I just wanted to make sure that it was normal. I'm a little out of shape and I thought maybe it was an indicator that I was taking things too fast. But I am pretty set on doing the entire program. However, after today's workout it's a bit hard to sit down and stand up because my quads are aching so bad. I hope I'm able to do all the movements for tomorrow because I really want to stick with this.
  • MrDel
    MrDel Posts: 33
    Options
    Along with stretching, you must replenish your body with some protein. I drink Gatorade Recovery drink right after and it seems to help curb the soreness. Advil works for a bit, but wouldn't do it too much. I just finished week 4 and understand the early pain. That part gets better. I've found my muscles feel heavy later in the program, but that passes too.

I currently drink chocolate milk after workouts but its sometimes a bit heavy. How does the Gatorade stuff taste? Is it for sale at your grocery store?
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    Take a nice hot shower, and what I do during exercise is drink Eco Water. Very diluted, because it's pretty strong. Drinking that helps a lot! Also like they said, protein, I eat about 1.5-2 hours before I work out then about 15 minutes after (after my shower) Keep moving through out the day too, don't just sit still or you will get stiff, every time you're sitting down even for a couple minutes, stand up and stretch. If you're sitting for long periods, give yourself a break every 20 minutes or so stand up and do some stretching!
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    Thanks for the tips :). I was able to work through my workout yesterday and today I woke up and my muscles hurt significantly less. I just had to push through those first 3 workouts I guess! Trying to get myself ready for today's workout. It's the cardio recovery and looks pretty brutal on the quads. I skimmed through it to see what I was in for haha.
  • jeffsalyer
    jeffsalyer Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I currently drink chocolate milk after workouts but its sometimes a bit heavy. How does the Gatorade stuff taste? Is it for sale at your grocery store?

I really like the taste. They sell it at most grocery stores. Wal-Mart is a little sketchy as ours keep it in the sporting goods section. The local grocery store sells it 10 for $10 most of the time. I'm going to try the recovery shakes Gatorade makes too. I hear good things about chocolate milk. Have a friend who drinks muscle milk shakes and I may move to that down the road.
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    Just finished day 3, can barely walk I am so sore!! I just want to take a nap
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hot bath afterward and Coffee 1 1/2 before working out. Coffee blocks pain receptors and gives u an energy boost
  • BackinShape001
    Options
    Also remember to breathe during exercises, there's a reason Shaun T is always repeating it, bringing oxygen to the muscle helps with the soreness after
  • MrDel
    MrDel Posts: 33
    Options
    Oddly the muscles that seem to be hurting me the most during and after the workouts are my shoulders. All of the plank positions and stretches really seem to make them ache.
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what to do when I have sore muscles throughout this workout. I am pretty out of shape but I am enjoying it anyway. I feel like Insanity lets you go at your own pace while still pushing you to do the best that you possibly can, so I don't feel like it's too intense for me, however my muscles are aching pretty badly and especially the ones required to do squats. I'm worried it will make me not be able to do that portion of today's workout. Any tips or thoughts?

I had the same thing happen to me. I didn't think I was able to get through it. A friend told me that I needed a recovery drink. I went over to GNC and they recommended the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I haven't looked at any other kind since. It really did help me. After the second week, I felt like I worked my muscles but no where near what I felt the first week. I also incorporated a lot of water to flush out the waste in the muscles.

Good luck!
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    I read on discovery health that taking a cold shower when you're done working out helps release the lactic acid, and soothe the muscles so you're not so sore...Finished day 5 today with a cold shower, I feel better!
  • Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I read on discovery health that taking a cold shower when you're done working out helps release the lactic acid, and soothe the muscles so you're not so sore...Finished day 5 today with a cold shower, I feel better!

I'm going to have to try this!! Thanks :)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    What they all said ^ about stretching, advil, and protein. Also I have issues with my calves and shins, so wearing the compression supports during the workouts really helps me. If there's a specific body part thats bothering you you can always ice it when you're done... (after you take your advil and have your protein ;) )