Bought a Bodymedia Fit

Options
terrigrace
terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
I finally broke down and paid $85 for a used BMF "link" on ebay. I hate the idea of paying a monthly fee to use it, but like the idea that I can check it on my phone. Plus I don't plan on using it forever, just when I need to check and verify my numbers . . . so maybe right at the beginning of a cut or the start of a maintenance period. I really want a more accurate picture of my TDEE - I think it varies greatly depending on my crazy work schedule. I have a sneaky (and depressing) suspicion that I gained a couple of pounds in the last couple of weeks. Am I crazy?

Replies

• techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    About the fee...I don't have a bmf, but have looked into buying one and have see yearly subscriptions on there for a reduced rate. HTH
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy, you're smart. :smile: Having a BMF helps take out the guesswork of what your TDEE is every day. You will be amazed at the information! I have had one since March and it's been really helpful throughout my 6-week reset. I start my cut tomorrow and it will also help keep me in line.

If you just received it, know that you should wear it for a good two weeks to obtain reliable data. It gets "used" to you and can eventually predict your burns based on your activity. Most wearers think that their TDEE reads way too high the first time they wear it. This could be because they never knew their true TDEE (which is actually a range, since we do different things on different days), and sometimes when you are aware that you're wearing a BMF, you may actually move around MORE. It's great for showing how many cals you burn doing simple, everyday things like walking from your house to your car, getting a drink at the end of the hallway, and going to the grocery story. That being said, I've noticed for myself that it doesn't always give me the most accurate reading during my HIIT workouts; I still use a HRM for that. Sometimes the readings are close. Other people may take their data and decide that the BMF is 10-15% off of where they should be. You'll find out what works for you.

Congrats on getting one! Have fun with it!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, love, LOVE my BMF and know I wouldn't be where I am today without it. It's a great tool to see how your body operates. Especially with your crazy work schedule. U will have a more acurate idea on what u do actually burn. its amazing to see how each activity shows your burn. Mine made me more active too. After getting mine I saw that I burn way more a day and was under eating. I consistently burned 2200 calories a day before exercise. I now know what it takes to make this body run efficiently. I feel I am so untuned with my body now. I can't recommend a BMF enough. It's worth the investment and monthly subscription.
  • LilSomethin
    Options
    And if u gained that's ok cuz u are doing the reset right?? I gained too. All bloated, feeling yucky and can't fit into my pants :/ BUT I just started losing again and believe this eating (even) more is working. Give it time. I know it's hard but fight it. It'll work :)
  • terrigrace
    Options
    Thanks you guys! And thanks for the pep talk Lil. I needed that :) Definitely feeling blah, tired, and bloated today. And I'm 6 weeks into reset! Surprised to find I'm feeling this way this far in since I really felt pretty good up until now. I'm actually expecting my calorie burn with the BMF to be lower than what I think I would be. We shall see. I'm psyched that so many people find it pretty accurate and useful.
  • LilSomethin
    Options
    I wore mine for 18 months. Obsessed?? Maybe, but I learned so much from it and I felt it was the missing piece of my puzzle. It showed me so much. I just recently took it off and am currently "shaking things up a bit" with my diet. I really believe that this "eat more to weigh less" works. I wanted to quit cuz I couldn't get my jeans over my thighs last week. But I am sticking with it though as I believe my body will see/believe I will feed it well and that it's not a fad and will let go of this extra baggage I have :)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    you got an amazing deal on that!!

you're gonna love it. my burns have turned out to average above the scooby calculations. i thounght my TDEE was 2200 (moderate), but per my BMF i actually burn near that on mostly sedentary days (mid 2100s). yesterday, all i did was housework and some shopping, and i burned 2450. my calorie intake has averaged just a bit below my burn average, and my weight has stayed in its same fluctuation range. of course, i did have that vacation time where i didn't wear it, but i was pretty active. i'm thinking the eating and activity balanced out. i got a full week of data before vacation and a full week afterward, and it has remained pretty consistent.

everyone at work has gotten used to seeing it on my arm too. i'm still a little self conscious about wearing it with sleeveless things though, except when i'm at the gym.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I got a bodymedia fit cause i wanted to know how much calories i burned. And it is the whole reason im here doing a reset trying to fix the damage i have done by eating 1200 calories for over a year. I always thought i was sedetary not moderately active. My bodymedia fit tells me i burn between 2000 and 2400 calories per day. And sleep a lot less then i thought i did.

So far i have worn it everyday, but yer im still really self contious on wearing it, and have been wearing clothes that cover it at work. Dont really know what to tell people when they ask what it is...
  • kimmraderie
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I purchased a BMF mid-June. I thought I knew all the metrics to make good decisions and get healthy. Ummm...I kinda forgot that I'm obsessed with counting and knowing how effective my workouts are. I am ADDICTED! Barbie (her name) lets me know EVERYTHING I need to know to make each day effective. Even better, I LOVE it when it estimates that I won't make calories burned goal. The first time it did that - I purposely did another hour on the elliptical and treadmill to shut it up.

Yep...it's the trainer I didn't know I needed. Hoping to see measurable differences on the scale to coincide with the work I've been doing. Now, if I can get my calories consumed to at least reach my minimum, I'll be doing something.

:)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I got a bodymedia fit cause i wanted to know how much calories i burned. And it is the whole reason im here doing a reset trying to fix the damage i have done by eating 1200 calories for over a year. I always thought i was sedetary not moderately active. My bodymedia fit tells me i burn between 2000 and 2400 calories per day. And sleep a lot less then i thought i did.

So far i have worn it everyday, but yer im still really self contious on wearing it, and have been wearing clothes that cover it at work. Dont really know what to tell people when they ask what it is...

i simplify it for some folks and just say it's a fancy pedometer.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You will see it's an eye opener.
    I don't have a BMF, but a FitBit. It might not be that accurate, but it still gives me a good idea of where I am.
    And boy was I underestimating my burns.
    On workout days I can reach up to 3k.
    Scooby calculator gave me 2400 in the strenuous exercise category.
    I reach 2400 on most days when I don't even work out
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love mine and feel lost when not wearing it.....I like the idea of giving it a name....I am going to have to come up with a good one!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i love the idea of giving it a name :D
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love mine (BMF Link). The fee is not bad. The database is small so you can track here and just add your calories. Some people don't like them because of the size. I love the one that said "The judge lets me wear this instead of an ankle one." LOL Good luck!

I love the name Idea. We should come up with some.
  • terrigrace
    Options
    I'm going to have to name mine! That really gave me a chuckle. I read somewhere that you can pop the plastic face piece off and just wear it tucked against your skin in your bra. Any one tried it?
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Was going to try after finish month closing. I am in accounting and not getting my exercise in, too much to do.
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I got one for my birthday yesterday (BodyMedia Link). I'm already in love with it. I'm tired of not really knowing how many calories I'm burning. I know how many calories I'm taking in but think that it's still not enough. I sit at work all day but putter around the house until bed time. Same on the weekends. I don't technically exercise all weekend, but I don't really sit down for any length of time either.

My only issue is that my husband thought the Link would synch with my phone and it doesn't, but it will with his. quite frankly, I'm not sure I care right now. I can synch everything up whenever I want to via the USB.

Love the naming part!!
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    I got one for my birthday yesterday (BodyMedia Link). I'm already in love with it. I'm tired of not really knowing how many calories I'm burning. I know how many calories I'm taking in but think that it's still not enough. I sit at work all day but putter around the house until bed time. Same on the weekends. I don't technically exercise all weekend, but I don't really sit down for any length of time either.

My only issue is that my husband thought the Link would synch with my phone and it doesn't, but it will with his. quite frankly, I'm not sure I care right now. I can synch everything up whenever I want to via the USB.

Love the naming part!!

What type of phone do you have?
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    I love mine (BMF Link). The fee is not bad. The database is small so you can track here and just add your calories. Some people don't like them because of the size. I love the one that said "The judge lets me wear this instead of an ankle one." LOL Good luck!

I love the name Idea. We should come up with some.

Might name mine Boo-la Boo-la. I had a glow in the dark skeleton key chain with that name. Miss it.
  • Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How much do they charge monthly for BMF? I was thinking of getting a FitBit, because of the monthly fee. I have only just started looking into it, because I want more accurate information on what my numbers are.