Choosing hand weights

Options
Mellie289
Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
I just did workout one a day early since I'd like to make Monday a day of rest after 7 straight days working out on my treadmill. I nearly died with the pushups and the beginning and starting off with 5 lb weights! I have terrible shoulder strength. I switched to 2 pound weights, but they seem kind of light for some of the exercises. I'm not sure if I should switch back and forth, or maybe compromise and get some 3 pound weights today.

What is everyone using?

Replies

• xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm using 3 lb weights! They kick my *kitten*. 2 lbs was too light and 5 lbs was too heavy since I have never done weight lifting.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    I went to Target and got some 3 lb. weights today, so hopefully they'll be a happy medium - still kicking my *kitten*, but not so much that I can't use them for the whole set. :-)
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have 3 lb weights as well- they are just enough that I feel like I'm getting a nice burn but I can still manage them.
  • arylia
    arylia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ha, yeah I almost killed myself with 5 pound weights... I ended up holding one with both hands for some of the exercises.
  • bnrose
    bnrose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used 5lb weights and my arms nearly gave out toward the end of the workout! I think I'll def end up holding one w two hands until I can build more strength.
  • LuvSteno
    LuvSteno Posts: 24
    Options
    I am using 3 pound weights
  • newdayhasbegun
    newdayhasbegun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am starting with 3 pound weights but will use 5 on Level 1, Day 4. At least that's my plan.
  • BrenB150
    BrenB150 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Use what you can for weights.. Switch it up.. The first set use the 5 lbs and the second set us the lighter ones or whichever.. For most of level 1 I use 8 lbs, the chest flies I use 10's but for the side lunges with arm raises I use 5's.. So there all different.. But for example for the pushups I did 13 standard the first set and 13 modified the second set.. It's okay to do what works for you!
  • Mellie289
    Options
    My new 3lb weights worked so much better. I'm hoping by the end of level 1, I'll be able to do all of the exercises without a break. Right now, I still have to do a couple lunges or squats part way through with my weights lowered to give my shoulders a wee rest.
  • 1nt2Lose
    1nt2Lose Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better knowing that others are struggling with 5lb weights. I am fine up to the last exercise - I had to do them weightless!
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been using 2 lb for most of the exercises, 4 for the flies and none for the first overhead squat exercise. Hoping to increase to 4, 6 and 2 before the end of day 10.