Mostly new, looking for motivational friends!

Options
eliezalot
eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
I've done MFP before, but never for more than a few weeks, and never used any of the community features. I'm hoping this time to have the support to stick with it! I'm 26, live in Minneapolis, MN, and have pretty much been overweight my whole life. This time, I've been making a huge effort to take note of my thoughts and emotions about food...when I get hungry, how I feel, why I get hungry, etc... Two days in, and I have already noticed: as soon as I get the tiniest bit hungry, I get anxious, and feel like I have to have food ASAP (and proceed to eat much more than necessary). I want to continue to be aware of this, and start to take control! I hope to be able to come here for support, instead of heading to the kitchen! Let me know if you want to friend! :)

Replies

• cjeane
    cjeane Posts: 15
    Options
    I too am looking for motivational friends! I'm 40, live in Louisiana and am looking for a network of people thru here to help me to push to the next level (continuously!) Feel free to friend me!
  • mariannerenoir
    Options
    Hey,
    same here! I'm 19, live in Hungary and also just started to explore the community features :-)
    Emotional eating has been a huge problem from me but I know that I need to stop it. Not an easy task! Some days I manage it with great success, other days all I can think about is eating some junk. The worst thing is that somehow I always give myself permission - like "f---k it, I've been dieting since forever, I deserve this whatever". Nice form of self-destruction.

Anyway, let's motivate each other, we can do this :-)
  • Brookeshg
    Brookeshg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Uh emotional eating. I know it too well. Three days ago I woke up and said enough is enough. Even after a workout I would eat eat eat. What a waste of time working out. So I have been clean for 4 days. Working out 5-6/7 days and feeling great. Of my husband doesnt make me angry ill be good. Haha
  • Ginnywc
    Ginnywc Posts: 6
    Options
    I would love for motivational friends, too! I've lost a lot already, but I know this last fifteen pounds is going to take some hard work and determination AND lots of motivation!
  • RDawn7
    RDawn7 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, I would love to be your friend. I struggle through the same types of things and I am new to this program.
  • Alyssabh88
    Alyssabh88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, girls! I too am in the same boat. Emotional eating/bingeing have always been a big problem for me.
  • brite_star182
    Options
    I also struggle with the same things that you all mentioned here. I need some motivation and support to get the weight off. Feel free to friend me and we can help each other stay on track with goals!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as well. And actually, having a pretty bad start to the day myself. I will not give in to my desire to seek happiness through a bag of Hot Fries!!!
  • jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister. I emotionally eat my whole life. I am 37 and let me tell you it suxs. I have gain weight and lost weight and gain weight again. It is a struggle but now I feel like as I lose weight this time I get stronger. I look at what has happened and how much better things have gotten. I was in a weight loss study and they said to hide food if you have to really try to get the food you start to think about it and then you start to not want it as much. They also told me to stock up on food that is healthy all the time. So that your not starving and just eating anything. Good luck. Weight loss is my never ending battle....
  • MurphysLaw73
    MurphysLaw73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi..I feel that I could be the queen of emotional eating. I do it and sometimes don't even realize what I just ate. And it could be a whole cake. I have gotten better. This is one of the hardest things to overcome in life. And support is one of the best things to have around you. It is one of the only things that has helped me, as well as awareness. You are already taking the step in the right direction by writing things down and becoming aware. Don't expect change overnight. But be glad with baby steps. This is a really hard thing to control and learn how to stop.
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am such an emotional eater...Whether it's when I'm annoyed w/ the kids (I have 4) or stressed over too much to do, I want to dive in to chocolate and salty things....

I have not been that great at staying on target until the past 9 days and I have been so good. I think it is because I have been making some motivational 'friends' on here.....BUT I am totally worried that I am going to be derailed as 2 weeks from this Thursday we move my oldest son to college.....Major transition in my life coming up!
  • Queenie_O
    Queenie_O Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Emotional Eaters Group?
    *pulls up chair and sits down"
    I'm so good at emotional eating that you'd swear it was my job.

I've sent FR's to a few of you, but MFP cut me off at five. Feel free to send one to me.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome back. You seem a lot like me. My problem is that I feel sometimes like life has to go 100% perfectly for me or I have to eat about it. Your post shows you are getting in tune with your behavior with food which is awesome. If you don't mind a dude in your friends list please feel free to friend me. :)
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    Options
    I'm with you all the way! I'm very guilty of emotional eating. I do the "I deserve this" mindset a lot. Also the immediate gratification thing. Bad day = I deserve it. Significant other not taking care of himself = Why bother with me? Worked hard at work = I deserve it.

It's been a challenge to try to break those associations and replace with healthier ones, I tell you that!!!! And society is no good either.

dinner with In Laws at Carrabba's Italian grill last night. Already a stressful experience. They're all having Sangrias. And eating heartily of the bread on the table. My MIL says "the bread here is great! Oh, I guess I shouldn't tell you that."

Yeah... thanks, MIL. I'm glad you didn't tell me that. Grrr.

(I did have bread, but with dinner, and in a controlled manner, and I didn't reward myself when I got home with more pizza or something, which was a victory in itself).
  • Wingwoman21
    Options
    Not sure what to post, just happy I saw this group because I often eat my feelings. And I have a lot of them lol. :blushing:
    So yeah, if you want to add go ahead.:smile:
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Same here!
    I am an emotional eater, only problem that's when I am mad, sad, happy...you get the picture.
    So, I, too am here working on it.
  • bluejy4
    bluejy4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I would love to make some friends that are in the same emotional eating boat as me. I don't really have anyone that I can talk to that I know feels the same way, so if you'd like to make a friend too to talk to and help be a support system, friend me!! ☺
  • flowerlover5656
    flowerlover5656 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me too. This is my first time here. Im on day two tracking my food. I lost 50 pounds 2 years ago and gained 20 back I weighed this morning. Need friends and motivation. Have trouble eating with new boyfriend hes an amazing cook and takes me to amazing places to eat. Ive been so busy and un grounded. I feel like every moment at home im thinking what can I eat next. I snack when not hungry and eat after dinner. im 39 years old and I know I can do this. I followed an FA food plan before and now just trying to track what I eat low carb style. I feel like the extreme for me causes me to binge.
  • cardenalera
    cardenalera Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mmm.. Seems like I found the right people to hang around..

This emotional eating thing is a pain in the butt, as all of us know. I think that the weight loss journey is not just to count calories and exercise (this last one a major obstacle for myself) but also to understand why you gain that weight in the first place, so you don't put it back. I still don't exactly know how I gained the extra 20 kg I carry around everyday, but I think I'm getting there.

I don't have many friends around here, though I'd love to have more, specially if we can support each other in those weakening moments. Please feel free to add me as a friend, if you think we can do it! :smile: